commissary closing

libby

My husband said an email (or something or other) came out saying that starting next month the commissary is going to be closed Mondays and Tuesdays! Ugh!

How am I going to stand it?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Guess three places.. my office brings a crap load of revenue onto the base and we're getting furloughed too...

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"CUSTOMER ALERT

Our normal days of operation will change beginning July 8 due to the furlough of the Patuxent River Commissary employees. At that time, and for as long as furloughs are in effect, our store will be closed on Tuesday, in addition to our normal Monday closure. Please keep in mind, this schedule is subject to change and new information will be posted as we receive it. Thanks for your continued patronage and support. "

ftcret

Brilliant isn't it? One of the only two places on base that makes revenue, lets close it to save money..

The DeCA Commissaries do not bring any revenue into any base - in fact they draw funds away from other worthwhile projects. Unlike the Navy Exchange and Army Air Force Exchange Systems which help support the MWR, the DeCA is tax payer funded - directly from congress along with the 5% surcharge they levy on every purchase to help offest prices.
Follow the link...

June 7, 2013
The Washington Post recently (Commissary plan, backlash show difficulty of cutting military personnel spending - The Washington Post) published an article about the difficulty of lowering defense spending. In this case, a commission had come up with the idea of closing the commissaries on bases. This would save approximately $1.4 billion per year. Commissaries are supermarkets on bases that are subsidized by our taxes. Veterans and active duty personnel buy groceries at cost, basically a 30% discount off the price you and I pay. By selling at cost, with no money paid for costs of people and buildings, the Federal Government loses an estimated $1.4 billion per year. The group had already worked out a deal with Wal-Mart and others to provide the same pricing to veterans and active duty soldiers that they get today. So it would have been a win-win. Military personnel still get the same prices. The Government saves money. American businesses gain more business. Sounds like a great idea, right?

somdwatch

The DeCA Commissaries do not bring any revenue into any base - in fact they draw funds away from other worthwhile projects. Unlike the Navy Exchange and Army Air Force Exchange Systems which help support the MWR, the DeCA is tax payer funded - directly from congress along with the 5% surcharge they levy on every purchase to help offest prices.
Follow the link...

June 7, 2013
The Washington Post recently (Commissary plan, backlash show difficulty of cutting military personnel spending - The Washington Post) published an article about the difficulty of lowering defense spending. In this case, a commission had come up with the idea of closing the commissaries on bases. This would save approximately $1.4 billion per year. Commissaries are supermarkets on bases that are subsidized by our taxes. Veterans and active duty personnel buy groceries at cost, basically a 30% discount off the price you and I pay. By selling at cost, with no money paid for costs of people and buildings, the Federal Government loses an estimated $1.4 billion per year. The group had already worked out a deal with Wal-Mart and others to provide the same pricing to veterans and active duty soldiers that they get today. So it would have been a win-win. Military personnel still get the same prices. The Government saves money. American businesses gain more business. Sounds like a great idea, right?

Ever Serve?

goughrmak

ftcret;5173123In this case said:
I am a military retiree, and LOVE using the commissary. IF these numbers are correct (I somehow doubt it), then I wouldn't have a problem going to Wal-Mart and getting the same discount that I do at the commissary. Just keep the commissaries open over seas (which was mentioned in the article about NOT closing those). I see the commissary as a privilege and not a right. If we need to sacrifice a little to save taxpayer money, then I'm willing to do my part.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Follow the link...

June 7, 2013
Obviously the writer of the article has never shopped at the commissary, that 30% discount is BS. While shopping at the commissary is cheaper for certain items, some items are the same price as out in town. Also, there is less selection when compared to most grocery stores out in town, however, it is still lower (but not 30% lower like the article states, I would say it’s more like 10 to 15% cheaper) and the service is ten times better than any store out in town.

Funny how those who have never served are so eager to take benefits away from those who have earned them and were promised them but are so oppose to taking away benefits away from those who have done nothing for their country other than ask for more benefits.

And as far as taxpayers funding military “benefits”, those active and retired military also pay taxes and have paid more than just taxes to earn those benefits, what has the welfare whores paid to earn their benefits?

nutz

Obviously the writer of the article has never shopped at the commissary, that 30% discount is BS. While shopping at the commissary is cheaper for certain items, some items are the same price as out in town. Also, there is less selection when compared to most grocery stores out in town, however, it is still lower (but not 30% lower like the article states, I would say it’s more like 10 to 15% cheaper) and the service is ten times better than any store out in town.

Funny how those who have never served are so eager to take benefits away from those who have earned them and were promised them but are so oppose to taking away benefits away from those who have done nothing for their country other than ask for more benefits.

And as far as taxpayers funding military “benefits”, those active and retired military also pay taxes and have paid more than just taxes to earn those benefits, what has the welfare whores paid to earn their benefits?
I know you're not one to let facts obscure your way, but according to the defense commissary annual report page 15, savings were ~31.8%. https://www.commissaries.com/documents/whatsnew/afr/afr_2012.pdf

Now, with 6.1 billion in sales and an operating budget of 1.4 billion where did the profits go?

GW8345

Not White House Approved
I know you're not one to let facts obscure your way, but according to the defense commissary annual report page 15, savings were ~31.8%. https://www.commissaries.com/documents/whatsnew/afr/afr_2012.pdf

Now, with 6.1 billion in sales and an operating budget of 1.4 billion where did the profits go?
Have you ever shopped there?

I don't care what some report you found on line says, I've been shopping at a military commissary all my life (Navy brat), there is no 30% savings.

I'm taking it that you never served and don't udnerstand that military report are always over inflated with outstanding statistics when the report is written by the very command the report is about. It's like writting your own evaluation, you never put the bad stuff in but you damn sure hype the good stuff to make it look like you can walk on water in the middle of a rain storm and not get wet.

goughrmak

Every item sold by the commissary is tax free.

So is every "grocery" item in a normal grocery store. Commissary patrons pay a 5% surcharge on the ENTIRE bill which goes to help pay for overhead (like building maintenance and updating). A lot of items are cheaper, but not all. There are some things the commissary doesn't have that we shop for (some specialty foods like certain Gluten-free, etc).

PsyOps

Pixelated
I am a military retiree, and LOVE using the commissary. IF these numbers are correct (I somehow doubt it), then I wouldn't have a problem going to Wal-Mart and getting the same discount that I do at the commissary. Just keep the commissaries open over seas (which was mentioned in the article about NOT closing those). I see the commissary as a privilege and not a right. If we need to sacrifice a little to save taxpayer money, then I'm willing to do my part.

GASP! I hate the commissary. I do everything I can to avoid it; especially around payday.

nutz

Have you ever shopped there?

I don't care what some report you found on line says, I've been shopping at a military commissary all my life (Navy brat), there is no 30% savings.

I'm taking it that you never served and don't udnerstand that military report are always over inflated with outstanding statistics when the report is written by the very command the report is about. It's like writting your own evaluation, you never put the bad stuff in but you damn sure hype the good stuff to make it look like you can walk on water in the middle of a rain storm and not get wet.

Yes I do use my commissary privileges.

I am clearly seeing that the navy's nco evaluation program is very bloated.