More online dating observations

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why didn't that guy wink back at you? Perhaps he's dead.

I just saw an old friend of mine on Zoosk - he's been gone for a couple years now. Sorry ladies.

I met a guy over the weekend (in the dirt world, not online) who was funny, sexy, intelligent, knows how to play and has the money to further that aim. Today I saw his online dating profile and I'd have passed him right by if I hadn't recognized him. Curious how many other terrific guys I'm rejecting out of hand because their profiles don't do them justice.

Please. I beg you. No more pictures of you with your kids. Or worse, pictures of JUST your kids.

Ditto that on using "PopPop" or "Grampy" as a screen name.

And while I'm begging, mother of god PLEASE! No more selfies of you shirtless in the bathroom mirror. Shirtless while playing volleyball or on a boat or doing something else where underclothed is appropriate, yes. In the bathroom mirror, no.

In fact, no obvious selfies at all. They make you look pathetic, lonely, and desperate, like nobody else ever wanted to take a picture of you.

Posting your wedding pictures on a dating site is an interesting psychological tell. Let's talk about why you're not getting any responses...

I also don't want to see what you looked like 10 years and 50 pounds ago.

This thing has been fascinating, exhausting, frustrating, and surprisingly fun.

In fact, no obvious selfies at all. They make you look pathetic, lonely, and desperate, like nobody else ever wanted to take a picture of you.

But.... if I don't take selfies, I won't have any pictures at all.... :sosad:

I found it interesting to hear about online dating from my brother's perspective. Just when he was about to throw in the towel, he met the perfect woman for him... and we, his family, love love love her too.

One of his pet peeves was when women would automatically dismiss him because he does not have a college degree. In no way, shape or form does him not having a college degree define his intelligence level nor his income.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But.... if I don't take selfies, I won't have any pictures at all.... :sosad:

Come to Vrai :huggy: I will take a picture of you doing something fun so you look like you have a life and will be more desirable to women who like to walk on the beach with their soulmate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of his pet peeves was when women would automatically dismiss him because he does not have a college degree. In no way, shape or form does him not having a college degree define his intelligence level nor his income.

I don't even look at their education or income level. I look at their photo. If it doesn't trigger my gag reflex, I look to see if they have anything interesting to say. If they aren't socially retarded, I send them a wink.

And I am fully aware that I'm rejecting someone who may be perfect for me simply because he doesn't photograph well and can't string a coherent sentence together. The hazards of cyber butt-scoping.

The guy I reference above, who I'd have passed by if I didn't know him? His main photo - the one that jumps out and grabs you by the hair, then drags you off to his virtual cave - should either be showcasing his gorgeous blue eyes or showing him on stage playing guitar.

Another friend of mine is on there and his photo makes him look like unapproachable intimidating Biff Malibu, which could not be further from who he is. It's a great shot and he's handsome as hell but he's going to attract Barbie Dingbat and turn off the kind of women he really likes.

I see a future career as a professional online dating profile consultant...

I think you would be great at it and I also think it is a service much needed.. my bro is very multi-faceted and an extremely unique character to say the least.. he had the hardest time trying to get his pic/profile in a state that was even close to giving an inkling as to who we really was, what he really brought to the table and what he was really looking for in a woman.

JeJeTe

Happiness
I don't even look at their education or income level. I look at their photo. If it doesn't trigger my gag reflex, I look to see if they have anything interesting to say. If they aren't socially retarded, I send them a wink.

And I am fully aware that I'm rejecting someone who may be perfect for me simply because he doesn't photograph well and can't string a coherent sentence together. The hazards of cyber butt-scoping.

The guy I reference above, who I'd have passed by if I didn't know him? His main photo - the one that jumps out and grabs you by the hair, then drags you off to his virtual cave - should either be showcasing his gorgeous blue eyes or showing him on stage playing guitar.

Another friend of mine is on there and his photo makes him look like unapproachable intimidating Biff Malibu, which could not be further from who he is. It's a great shot and he's handsome as hell but he's going to attract Barbie Dingbat and turn off the kind of women he really likes.

I can see myself being that exact same way if I ever turned to online dating....

"His chin looks funny"
"WTF is that thing that he is wearing"
"Your mom shouldn't be your best friend. Weird alert"
"I can't deal with a ####ed up grill"
"Holy ####, why don't you have a shirt on"

etc, etc, etc....

I can see myself being that exact same way if I ever turned to online dating....

"His chin looks funny"
"WTF is that thing that he is wearing"
"Your mom shouldn't be your best friend. Weird alert"
"I can't deal with a ####ed up grill"
"Holy ####, why don't you have a shirt on"

etc, etc, etc....
And based on that I am positive you would miss out on a lot of really great guys.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The ones that get me are the guys who say they have two or three kids who are the focus of their lives and take up all of their time.

Um, so why are you on a dating site?

:confused:

Im_Me

For my profile I culled through many many photos of me that looked like me and picked the ones where I accidentally looked better (they were recent, but just got me in the right light, or whatever). I was always afraid that a date would see me and wonder if I was really the same person.

In fact I had a date like that (Vrai knows who I mean). His main profile photo was obviously him, but better. I was always waiting for him to look like that picture. We dated for three months and he never did. :coffee:.

Wasn't there a Seinfeld where he dated a woman that was pretty sometimes and really plain others? :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The ones that get me are the guys who say they have two or three kids who are the focus of their lives and take up all of their time.

Same reason as the guys who say they like cats, long walks on the beach, wine tasting, conversing in complete sentences and chick flicks.

Same reason as women who say they like sports, motorcycles, shooting and Dirty Harry movies; looking for the right bait.

:lmao:

Hank

my war
I like titanium legs, bad back tattoos, little white kittens and a chick that can rock Southern Maryland and the World!

See... this is a perfect example as to why I wouldn't want my daughter to wait until her 30s to start to seriously look for her life-mate. And a lot of you gave me crap for that in another thread.

A lot of guys who would probably be really great candidates as her life-mate would be less great saddled down with exes and/or children from other relationships. I'm not saying they aren't still really great guys... I'm saying that they are less great because they are going for round 2 (or more) whereas she would be going for round 1.

Ideally his entire focus, income, future, etc. should be on building a life with her rather than only being able to bring some of that to the table. Get what I'm trying to say...:ohwell:

See... this is a perfect example as to why I wouldn't want my daughter to wait until her 30s to start to seriously look for her life-mate. And a lot of you gave me crap for that in another thread.

A lot of guys who would probably be really great candidates as her life-mate would be less great saddled down with exes and/or children from other relationships. I'm not saying they aren't still really great guys... I'm saying that they are less great because they are going for round 2 (or more) whereas she would be going for round 1.

Ideally his entire focus, income, future, etc. should be on building a life with her rather than only being able to bring some of that to the table. Get what I'm trying to say...:ohwell:

I actually do. :yay: My husband has a son from a previous relationship. It seems like a lot of my first-time experiences with my son are something he has already done... I have gotten used to it but I always felt I was more excited for everything because he had already been through it once with his first son. :ohwell:

Oh... but I don't think he is less great because of it...