Where is the best Kayaking site?

Hessian

If you were to take a day for kayaking/canoeing in So Md...where would you go?
Last Year, I did the Upper Patuxent by Queen Anne and it was great...I enjoy some of the lower creeks in Calvert...want to know what else is fun/challenging--(LOCALLY).

Bonehead

Try yakking around St Georges Island in the Piney Point area...or put in at Great Mills Rd. (Route 5) into the St. Mary's River and take out at St. Mary's College. Yakking at Point Lookout State Park is OK too, lots of coves etc. to explore do it in a loop. There is also a put in in Leonardtown right near the Mickey Dees, KFC fast food joint....not sure where that leads other than to Breton Bay.

Jameo

What?!
Greenwell State park has a kayaking/canoeing ramp. There is a few nice little creeks around there also

SeaRide

Just locally? ... hmm .. here's a few.

Launch from the end of Dares Beach Rd and paddle down the bay to mouth of Parkers Creek & explore.

Launch from Chesapeake Beach and paddle north on the bay toward Herrington Harbor.

Launch from Solomons and paddle east across the bay toward Barrin Island ( must be expert in navigation & self-rescue, able to paddle at least 10 hrs)

Launch from Solomons and paddle up the river toward Clarks Landing for a meal and explore the creeks nearby.

Paddle around Solomons and head up Mills creek (through the little rapids during low tide)

pic of the rapid under the blue pipe

Attachments

• sc01032.jpg
    sc01032.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

Hessian

Has anyone done Piscataway Creek or Allen's Fresh (gee, that's near Glasva)...I bet RodRugg has some memories of Allen's Fresh????

chaotic

This is your captain!
You can put in at Myrtle Point, and paddle around to Clarke's Landing, or across to Solomons, by the bridge...

Also, the Patuxent Adventure Center has a bunch of links to places to launch your kayak from.