Kathleen Parker on Wendy Davis...

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
My take on the situation was this lady just started the confrontation. Her filibuster had no effect on the vote. It was the mob in the chamber that stopped the vote.

Won't happen next time. Code Pink and others of their ilk won't be allowed in the chamber.

Love how Donks deride Conservatives for filibusters, yet put this woman on a mile high pedestal for doing exactly the same.

puggymom

No adult needs a primer on the politics of abortion. Part of what makes this issue so difficult is that both sides are, in principle, correct. Anti-abortion folks see it as a human rights issue. Given that human life is a continuum that begins at conception, there can be no compromise.Pro-abortion rights folks see any limitation on abortion as an infringement on a woman’s right to control her own body. In their view, the baby isn’t a baby with human rights until it leaves the mother’s body, thereby becoming autonomous if lacking in self-sufficiency.No wonder we can’t untwist this pretzel.
This is pretty much what I think. Its almost impossible to debate anymore. One side believes the baby's rights shouldtake precidence, the other side; the womans rights.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is pretty much what I think...

What do you think about this part?

Ultimately, the question comes down to which awful option we can live with. Although a majority of Americans (61 percent) generally favor legal abortion in the first trimester, they become much more squeamish in the second (27 percent) and third (14 percent).

In other words, we seem to be relatively comfortable terminating a pregnancy before the fetus looks much like a baby. At 20 weeks, the halfway point, the fetus looks very much like a baby.

Abortion is allowed and it is going to stay that way. That said, would you support outlawing it in the second and third trimester? Or, at least the third?

Parker does a great service by making clear that abortion rights were never about woman's health and were always about birth control.

puggymom

What do you think about this part?

Abortion is allowed and it is going to stay that way. That said, would you support outlawing it in the second and third trimester? Or, at least the third?

Parker does a great service by making clear that abortion rights were never about woman's health and were always about birth control.

No I wouldn't support it. Its hard as a parent to see my kids and say that but I cannot compare my circumstances to someone elses. I've been pregnant only twice my entire life. Both were planned conceptions ending in full term healthy babies. I've never miscarried or been in a position of having an unwanted pregnancy.
Both sides have the problem of using a small percentage of abortions to support their position. The fact is rape/incest, life of mother or severe heath issues with baby, late term abortions are just not the reality. The fact is 98% are done before 20 weeks, the overwhelming majority before 12 weeks. So politically speaking we are arguing about a very rare occurance. And maybe I an living in a bubble but I have a very hard time believing the overwhelming majority of those post 20 week abortion are done because of non health reasons. I'm not saying it never happens but in the case where it does I do not think that person should have a baby. (They should just have their uterus removed but I'm not for government mandated sterilization either :ohwell: )

I'm going out for the day so any replies won't be addressed until this evening.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No I wouldn't support it. Its hard as a parent to see my kids and say that but I cannot compare my circumstances to someone elses. I've been pregnant only twice my entire life. Both were planned conceptions ending in full term healthy babies. I've never miscarried or been in a position of having an unwanted pregnancy.
Both sides have the problem of using a small percentage of abortions to support their position. The fact is rape/incest, life of mother or severe heath issues with baby, late term abortions are just not the reality. The fact is 98% are done before 20 weeks, the overwhelming majority before 12 weeks. So politically speaking we are arguing about a very rare occurance. And maybe I an living in a bubble but I have a very hard time believing the overwhelming majority of those post 20 week abortion are done because of non health reasons. I'm not saying it never happens but in the case where it does I do not think that person should have a baby. (They should just have their uterus removed but I'm not for government mandated sterilization either :ohwell: )

I'm going out for the day so any replies won't be addressed until this evening.

Good post.

:buddies:

ftcret

I fail to understand how anyone with children can ever allow that abortion is NOT killing a baby. I can only imagine how much stronger my beleif would be if I actually carried a child inside me and if I remembered the i before e rule.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I fail to understand how anyone with children can ever allow that abortion is NOT killing a baby. I can only imagine how much stronger my beleif would be if I actually carried a child inside me and if I remembered the i before e rule.

I will tell you how:

When you hold your newborn in your arms for the first time you are overwhelmed with the feeling that you would die to protect this child. It's incomprehensible that all women wouldn't feel that way.

The sad truth, however, is that they don't.

Children are born to abusive and negligent parents every single day. We read about these tragic circumstances all the time. I will submit to you that the infant who was pimped out to Mommy's boyfriend should have been aborted. Same with the toddler who was burned and beaten. Better that these children had never been born than for them to suffer so horribly. That is WAY more disturbing to me, as a mother, than abortion.

Until we can prevent feral people from rutting like animals and popping out litters at will, we will need a mechanism in place for them to terminate their pregnancies. And PS, we should vehemently encourage them to do so.

ftcret

So it is acceptable and excusable because there are bad people in the world?
The bad things that happen to babies/children also happen to children who were planned for as well those who were "accidents".
I don't pretend to know the answer to the woes of our society, but if it is killing people because it is convenient or to prevent some future sorrow or tradgedy then everyone needs to be standing by because it is only a matter of time before justification arrives for the time we are between too young or too old to voice an opinion.

ftcret

Why do you bother asking questions when it's clear you do not read the answers and your mind is slammed shut and deadbolted?

Uh -excuse me I did read the entire post, slamming shut and deadbolting apparently is YOUR reaction, to my view. Thank you for your engagement.:rolleyes: