Obama-care delay...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
A Blow to Both Obamacare and the Rule of Law | The Weekly Standard

President Obama has just decided to postpone implementation of a key part of the Affordable Healthcare Act, aka 'Obamacare". If you don't like the law, or the President, you may be inclined to cheer. However, this is a rule of law issue. The executive can't just pick and choose how a law works. That's what the legislature is for and they did their part in passing it. And the court did its part in blessing the thing constitutionally.

The President doesn't even have, at this point, line item veto powers were we even at THAT stage where he is deciding to exercise his power and sign it or not. He has, by executive fiat, decided to change the law.

Now, it does not matter if you like the law or not or like him or not. Again, this is a rule of law issue of enormous importance. I would ask all my friends on the left to consider if they'd like it if a GOP President asserted the power to just make up the law as he, or she, saw fit. Of course, you would not. For that matter, as extremely disappointed in the GOP as I have been for nearly a decade now, I don't want us, GOP'ers, to have that power either. I like my checks and balances.

The beauty of the US is that we all need not agree on every issue. In fact, it is a strength and to our credit that we do not and still maintain a good society. However, it is critical that we agree on a few big things. Such as that whole executive/legislative/court bit.

This is reason for us all to be concerned. Not just for now but, for tomorrow as well. Just how much power do you REALLY want our President to have?

Sweet 16

^^8^^
The beauty of the US is that we all need not agree on every issue.

Unfortunately, the left does not see it that way and is stifiling, if not downright prohibiting debate and expression of opposing views.

This is reason for us all to be concerned. Not just for now but, for tomorrow as well. Just how much power do you REALLY want our President to have?.

Again, I don't think it really matters what WE want. This guy is going to get what HE wants, and use any means to get it. Remember, he did promise to to "fundamentally change" this country, and that is one promise he intends to keep.

Chris0nllyn

Anything to help the upcoming elections.

Then they have the nerve to say it's because they've "heard concerns". If that's the case, scrap the whole damn thing, because I can;t find anywhere that shows people actually DON't have concerns.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Anything to help the upcoming elections.

If we can make the enormous leap that the GOP has even a small clue or enough money to go buy, or event rent, one, if only for a little while, this is an ENORMOUS opportunity to get more R's elected specifically, solely, absolutely, if nothing else, to repeal it.

I mean, Obama has wagered that the impact of full implementation now would be sooooooooooooo bad that they are actually calculating that it's worth the political risk of it looking that way.

Of course, they also know that the chances of the GOP having, buying or renting a clue is pretty slim so...

Chris0nllyn

If we can make the enormous leap that the GOP has even a small clue or enough money to go buy, or event rent, one, if only for a little while, this is an ENORMOUS opportunity to get more R's elected specifically, solely, absolutely, if nothing else, to repeal it.

I mean, Obama has wagered that the impact of full implementation now would be sooooooooooooo bad that they are actually calculating that it's worth the political risk of it looking that way.

Of course, they also know that the chances of the GOP having, buying or renting a clue is pretty slim so...

One thing at a time Larry. Abortion is the hot issue at the moment.

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
A Blow to Both Obamacare and the Rule of Law | The Weekly Standard

President Obama has just decided to postpone implementation of a key part of the Affordable Healthcare Act, aka 'Obamacare". If you don't like the law, or the President, you may be inclined to cheer. However, this is a rule of law issue. The executive can't just pick and choose how a law works. That's what the legislature is for and they did their part in passing it. And the court did its part in blessing the thing constitutionally.

The President doesn't even have, at this point, line item veto powers were we even at THAT stage where he is deciding to exercise his power and sign it or not. He has, by executive fiat, decided to change the law.

Now, it does not matter if you like the law or not or like him or not. Again, this is a rule of law issue of enormous importance. I would ask all my friends on the left to consider if they'd like it if a GOP President asserted the power to just make up the law as he, or she, saw fit. Of course, you would not. For that matter, as extremely disappointed in the GOP as I have been for nearly a decade now, I don't want us, GOP'ers, to have that power either. I like my checks and balances.

The beauty of the US is that we all need not agree on every issue. In fact, it is a strength and to our credit that we do not and still maintain a good society. However, it is critical that we agree on a few big things. Such as that whole executive/legislative/court bit.

This is reason for us all to be concerned. Not just for now but, for tomorrow as well. Just how much power do you REALLY want our President to have?

I thought this very same thing. He has ther power to delay it? Did he do it via official white house letterhead with congressional approval?

But then again, what can the Repub's say? If they say implement it immediately, that will smack right in the face of them fighting to get rid of it. I am not even sure you could put enough "spin" on it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But then again, what can the Repub's say? If they say implement it immediately, that will smack right in the face of them fighting to get rid of it. I am not even sure you could put enough "spin" on it.

The problem is that the GOP is not much of a unified party and there are just as many for it as against it and the ones against it were for the government run monopoly it is replacing. There are very, very few GOP'ers that are for free market solutions to our health care crisis.

So, there is that. However, absent that tiny little obstacle, it would otherwise be very easy to hit the shows, make the rounds, get out the editorials declaring that Obamacare was a sham and a lie from the beginning and WILL make health care cost more and WILL reduce quality as government running a commercial enterprise invariably does, and now that it is becoming more and more obvious every day, the President is running from it, afraid of being held responsible for his mess.

But, the party is not into it. After all, major GOP constituents have already figured out how to reap all that pork.

SamSpade

And this is pretty damned unbelievable. I mean, they on one hand go to great lengths to promote it, spend money to convince people they will like it and it will make life better --

But in the REAL world, when it absolutely is their own ass on the line, they run like hell away from it.

What kind of rationale motivates someone to fully support something publicly but bet their ass it will be bad for most?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And this is pretty damned unbelievable. I mean, they on one hand go to great lengths to promote it, spend money to convince people they will like it and it will make life better --

But in the REAL world, when it absolutely is their own ass on the line, they run like hell away from it.

What kind of rationale motivates someone to fully support something publicly but bet their ass it will be bad for most?

Well, I suppose one view would be the classic reality that progressives run into; honest belief, on the one hand, that the state is the answer. So, on the other hand, when reality comes calling, it's 'uh oh' time. The law of unintended consequences.

The cynical view would be, as progressives, this is about any means necessary, just so long as the ball is moving 'forward', real world results be damned, because the growth of power in the state is all that matters.

The individual view is that this is simply Obama protecting himself. He sees the end of his power coming, the mid terms basically beginning and, if he loses the Senate due to outrage over the health care thing, he will not be able to finish with any kind of a bang. This view says he never cared if it would be good or bad, just that he had his FDR/Social Security legacy.

I really don't get him. He has still not come around to seeing how well it would work for him if he simply stopped antagonizing the right. It's fine for campaigning to demonize the other guys but, if they have any power and you make it impossible for them to deal with you, that's a failure of leadership. That's malignant narcissism.

BOP

The Insiders: Democrats are trying to suppress the confusion and hide the cost of ObamaCare

Smart Democrats are beginning to get frantic about the need to suppress the confusion and hide the cost of ObamaCare between now and the 2014 midterm elections. We are just three months away from the October 1st enrollment start date and so far, nothing about the ObamaCare implementation process should be politically encouraging for Democrats. In fact, the more people learn about ObamaCare, the more frightened they become.

Right now, small businesses across America are making the final determinations on how to reduce the working hours of their employees so fewer employees qualify for the mandated, employer-provided health insurance. Employers are also deciding whether it makes more economic sense to pay a fine to the government or pay for healthcare benefits for their employees. What this means is that hundreds of thousands – and perhaps even millions – of Americans will learn that they are being dismissed from their employer’s healthcare coverage.

At some point soon, it’s going to be undeniable that ObamaCare is nothing but another federal entitlement, where those who are young and healthy bear the direct cost of subsidizing those who are not.