Egypt?

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
What is the significance of holding up your shoe in the Egypt?

I've been looking around the internet and am not finding an answer.

Something with showing the sole of a shoe is the ultimate disrespect, read about it when Hussein was being ousted in Iraq

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Something with showing the sole of a shoe is the ultimate disrespect, read about it when Hussein was being ousted in Iraq

That is what was tripping me up. I was searching for "holding up your shoe" instead of "showing your sole."

"In many Arab countries, showing the sole of one's shoes is considered a sign of extreme disrespect." The American version of "The Finger".

Hessian

Anthropology...

The root of the insult (IMO) is that there is so much animal & human excrement scattered around, that shoes/sandals tend to be caked with it.

To show your shoe-sole toward someone is the equivalent of saying "You eat this****.

Just a few years ago, a Visiting British professor was expelled from Cairo University: His crime? Crossing his legs while he sat on the dias-stage. The students were deeply offended that they saw his shoe's sole.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Female protesters against Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi hold up shoes during a gathering at Tahrir Square in Cairo July 3, 2013.

Fireworks burst over Cairo's Tahrir after army statement | Reuters

^^These women don't look all that mad. If it is equal to our U.S. finger, well, I look pretty pissed when I'm giving somebody a 1 finger salute.

The cultural association of the sole of the shoe or sandal dates from the nomadic times when there could be clods of donkey dung or camel crap clinging to the shoe. It's also the reason it is an insult to pass food or desirable items with the left hand, its the one you wipe with when you do your own elimination (at least in that culture).

SamSpade

The shoe thing is in a lot of nations. I read once, years ago about a missionary in Thailand who offended people by propping his feet on his desk.