D.C. Council approves ‘living wage’ bill.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"D.C. lawmakers gave final approval Wednesday to a bill requiring some large retailers to pay their employees a 50 percent premium over the city’s minimum wage, a day after Wal-Mart warned that the law would jeopardize its plans in the city.

The retail giant had linked the future of at least three planned stores in the District to the proposal. But its ultimatum did not change any legislators’ minds. The 8 to 5 roll call matched the outcome of an earlier vote on the matter, taken before Wal-Mart’s warning.

“The question here is a living wage; it’s not whether Wal-Mart comes or stays,” said council member Vincent B. Orange (D-At Large), a lead backer of the legislation, who added that the city did not need to kowtow to threats. “We’re at a point where we don’t need retailers. Retailers need us.”

Whether or not Wal-Mart needs the District, it had spent the past three years wanting to enter the city in a way no other business had. Activists celebrated Wednesday’s vote, saying the company, which reported net income of $17 billion on sales of $470 billion in its most recent fiscal year, could afford to pay better wages. But the council action threatens to halt several developments anchored by Wal-Mart in neighborhoods long under#served.

“Nothing has changed from our perspective,” Wal-Mart spokesman Steven Restivo said in a statement after the vote, reiterating that the company will abandon plans for three unbuilt stores and “review the financial and legal implications” of not opening three others under construction."

abcxyz

Wonder how many jobs that just cost DC? Wonder how much tax revenue they aren't going to collect now?

Brilliant!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
said council member Vincent B. Orange (D-At Large), a lead backer of the legislation, who added that the city did not need to kowtow to threats. “We’re at a point where we don’t need retailers. Retailers need us.”

:killingme:killingme Will be funny to watch that ignorant fool change his tune later. This craziness will not affect only Walmart.

Sparx

DC doesn't want Walmart and Walmart doesn't need DC. This will protect the mom and pop retail places AKA small business.

Sparx

Wonder how many jobs that just cost DC? Wonder how much tax revenue they aren't going to collect now?

Brilliant!!

Most likely, no lost jobs. The jobs Walmart creates is just a displacement of the jobs lost when small retailers are run out of business. They can do this by Walmart's targeted undercutting of small retail's prices.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Most likely, no lost jobs. The jobs Walmart creates is just a displacement of the jobs lost when small retailers are run out of business. They can do this by Walmart's targeted undercutting of small retail's prices.

Actually, probably hundreds of lost jobs..

My take on the inner city is there are certain ethnicities that choose to take the chance on opening a mom and pop store in the inner city.. when you spend your money there the owners, and the workers aren't from there, and live in fairly nice houses outside of the city.. who lives in the inner city that can afford to open and run a business?

Now Wal-Mart, it isn't locally owned either, and the owners don't live in DC, BUT the workers all would. And the working staff of each Wal-Mart is reflective of the local population, not the race or ethnicity of the person that owns it.

It would have added THOUSANDS of jobs to the inner city, and ran out (if it ran out any at all) hundreds of businesses that are neither owned nor hire locals.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the council members aren't somehow related to, or are partial owners of some of these inner city businesses..

Last edited:

CrashTest

DC doesn't want Walmart and Walmart doesn't need DC. This will protect the mom and pop retail places AKA small business.

Cool. Then all the poor folks making minimum wage can pay $12.00 for a wash cloth. Rich folks don't care what a wash cloth costs. Another Social Engineering failure in the works.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Actually, probably hundreds of lost jobs..

My take on the inner city is there are certain ethnicities that choose to take the chance on opening a mom and pop store in the inner city.. when you spend your money there the owners, and the workers aren't from there, and live in fairly nice houses outside of the city.. who lives in the inner city that can afford to open and run a business?

Now Wal-Mart, it isn't locally owned either, and the owners don't live in DC, BUT the workers all would. And the working staff of each Wal-Mart is reflective of the local population, not the race or ethnicity of the person that owns it.

It would have added THOUSANDS of jobs to the inner city, and ran out (if it ran out any at all) hundreds of businesses that are neither owned nor hire locals.

The unions like to talk about closure of mom-and-pop stores as a reason no jobs are created. Problem is, they forget that there is no stock boy team to fill the shelves in a mom-and-pop store, there is no mop up crew in a mom-and-pop store. There is no grounds crew keeping the grounds or the sidewalk cleared in a mom-and-pop store. Mom-and-pop stores don't have shopping carts that are spread out among about an acre of parking lot. I've never seen a mom-and-pop store with a "MOM-AND-POP" 18 wheeler fleet that drives product to the back door and a mom-and-pop inventory crew to unload the several tons of goods coming in the back door. There's a hell of a lot more but you get the picture.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The unions like to talk about closure of mom-and-pop stores as a reason no jobs are created. Problem is, they forget that there is no stock boy team to fill the shelves in a mom-and-pop store, there is no mop up crew in a mom-and-pop store. There is no grounds crew keeping the grounds or the sidewalk cleared in a mom-and-pop store. Mom-and-pop stores don't have shopping carts that are spread out among about an acre of parking lot. I've never seen a mom-and-pop store with a "MOM-AND-POP" 18 wheeler fleet that drives product to the back door and a mom-and-pop inventory crew to unload the several tons of goods coming in the back door. There's a hell of a lot more but you get the picture.

Ed Zachary...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

You're just special :lol:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

If there are so many mom & pop retail places, why do so many politicians refer to certain locations in D.C. as 'food deserts'?

I'm hoping the mayor vetoes this B.S.

nutz

Since you're a self professed expert on the DC gov't. and it's citizenry answer these 2 queries:
1) Why is Marion Barry allowed to continue his antics?
2) Why does your location have Dunkirk? There aren't ant hoods in the city by that name. :popcorn:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Since you're a self professed expert on the DC gov't. and it's citizenry answer these 2 queries:
2) Why does your location have Dunkirk? There aren't ant hoods in the city by that name. :popcorn:

You're gonna have to wait until he checks with the Shop Steward to get an answer from union HQ on that.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Of course not. Unions were exempted. This only targets a few companies.

What happened to equal protection.

Chris0nllyn

Of course not. Unions were exempted. This only targets a few companies.

What happened to equal protection.

Thought so, thanks.

Just so happens that Marion Barry was fined for taking bribes yesterday.

At some point, there will be zero faith in our government, and I think it's not too far out.

Sparx

I haven't professed to be anything of the sort.
1. I don't know.
2. Because I live there.

Sparx

Then who in a small business:
Stocks the shelves? Elves?
Mops the floors? Fairies?
Maintains the grounds? Gnomes?
Delivers the stock? Storks?