How does Furlough = 20% pay cut

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I don't get it. Why does everyone keep calling the furlough a 20% pay cut. Isn't the furlough just every other Friday off? Isn't the furlough only for 6 months?

every other Friday off = 10% of your pay not 20.
if the furlough is only for 6 months it is only 10% of you pay for half the year which equals a 5% reduction on the year.

All of this furlough talk sounds like a bunch of people making a big deal about nothing.

bilbur

I don't get it. Why does everyone keep calling the furlough a 20% pay cut. Isn't the furlough just every other Friday off? Isn't the furlough only for 6 months?

every other Friday off = 10% of your pay not 20.
if the furlough is only for 6 months it is only 10% of you pay for half the year which equals a 5% reduction on the year.

All of this furlough talk sounds like a bunch of people making a big deal about nothing.

Maybe it is that way for some but for most of the people I know it is every Friday off and only 8 hour work days for the other 4 days.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Many have to take every Friday off, which results in a 20% cut per week working 4/8s. Every other Friday off is a CWS schedule, and hours worked during the week are typically 99998 or 9999 off, resulting in a combined 80 hours every two weeks.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, our office, mostly all contractors who do direct support, our contract has been modded to reflect a %20 reduction in effort, meaning hours billed to that. We either have to make up those hours with other contracts like FMS or say a contract with another company, or take those hours as PTO.

bilbur

That is what is it is for the workforce I support.

I am one of the lucky ones but most of my family and friends have been furloughed so I know how hard it can hit. Some are losing $300 to $400 per pay check and when you are used to living on a budget that is a huge loss. I would absolutely call an $600 to $700 loss a month a big deal.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Oh I didn't realize they took the CWS day away and reduced the hours to only 8 per day.

How many weeks is the furlough? Is it 11 weeks?

SoMDGirl42

Oh I didn't realize they took the CWS day away and reduced the hours to only 8 per day.

How many weeks is the furlough? Is it 11 weeks?

Add to that a 20% cut in the amount of leave they accure every month as well. For the ones I know, that's a little over 1 day a month, up to as many as 3 days a month they are losing in leave for those months as well. That's more than 20% hit.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Ok, so isn't the furlough a 10% pay cut on the year not 20%? Didn't everyone know it was coming? Wouldn't the smart move to have been to adjust your budget accordingly at the beginning of the year so it wouldn't have been such a big hit?

I really don't have any sympathy for the government workers. They are just now starting to get a taste of what everyone else has had to deal with for the last several years.

The people complaining about the furlough could have cared less about the police, firefights, teachers, exc who have not had a raise or COLA increase over the last 4 or 5 years. Why do you expect the people you showed no sympathy towards to all of the sudden care about your situation?

SoMDGirl42

Ok, so isn't the furlough a 10% pay cut on the year not 20%? Didn't everyone know it was coming? Wouldn't the smart move to have been to adjust your budget accordingly at the beginning of the year so it wouldn't have been such a big hit?

I really don't have any sympathy for the government workers. They are just now starting to get a taste of what everyone else has had to deal with for the last several years.

The people complaining about the furlough could have cared less about the police, firefights, teachers, exc who have not had a raise or COLA increase over the last 4 or 5 years. Why do you expect the people you showed no sympathy towards to all of the sudden care about your situation?

If you can't understand what's been explained to you very clearly, then I won't waste my time tying to keep explaining it to you. This is the last time

They are taking a 20% pay decrease for the next 11 weeks. That's 8 hours every week. That's 16 hours every pay day. PLUS the 20% decrease in leave. That's more than 20% pay decrease for the next 11 weeks.

If you don't understand it now, you never will. Ta ta

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
For the ones I know, that's a little over 1 day a month, up to as many as 3 days a month they are losing in leave for those months as well. That's more than 20% hit.

3 days a month in leave? Are you seriously telling me that you expect me to feel sorry that someone who gets 7 1/2 weeks of leave a year may have to take a reduction in leave?

bilbur

I work for a contractor and the people in my company, myself included, have not had pay raises in almost 4 years. On top of that they have cut some of our benefits. What I want to know is why is it the government employees and contractors responsibilities to pay back this debt. Why not cut programs for people who don't work for their paycheck like welfare and federal assistance or cut foreign aid instead of putting the squeeze on people that work for a living. And contrary to popular belief not everyone who works for the base makes $100000 + a year. There are many that are living paycheck to paycheck and there is no room for them to set aside money to prepare for this.

C

czygvtwkr

Government employees haven't had a COLA in 3-4 years either, firefighters here are volunteers, I cant recall seeing anything about teachers or police pay freezes around here....

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
If you can't understand what's been explained to you very clearly, then I won't waste my time tying to keep explaining it to you. This is the last time

They are taking a 20% pay decrease for the next 11 weeks. That's 8 hours every week. That's 16 hours every pay day. PLUS the 20% decrease in leave. That's more than 20% pay decrease for the next 11 weeks.

If you don't understand it now, you never will. Ta ta

No you don't get it. 20% pay decrease for 11 weeks = 8% reduction. Here's the math.

Salaries are based an an anual level not 11 weeks.
260 work days in the year
22 days missed pay due to furlough
this equals 8%

I'll even give you an extra 2% for vacation time not accrued and your still sitting at 10% not 20.

C

czygvtwkr

No you don't get it. 20% pay decrease for 11 weeks = 8% reduction. Here's the math.

Salaries are based an an anual level not 11 weeks.
260 work days in the year
22 days missed pay due to furlough
this equals 8%

I'll even give you an extra 2% for vacation time not accrued and your still sitting at 10% not 20.

Well why not amortize it over someones life time then it seems even less significant? What makes a year magic?

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member

Why do you talk like Feds live in a bubble unaware of what "everyone else" has been going through? I'm a Fed but my husband and his whole family are in commercial construction. You think I haven't felt what everyone else has been going through? :rolleyes: