A Cop's take on the Zimmerman Verdict

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"The verdict was ridiculous but not surprising. The only way I would describe the way that I feel is nausea. I am just sick that this guy got off and his lawyers are going to shamelessly be doing victory laps on TV for the next several weeks. I also feel so terrible for Trayvon Martin's parents who had to live through that clown show just to see this punk Zimmerman walk. But right now my burning issue is with all of the police officers that defended this idiot from the beginning. Because as a cop of 11 years myself this burns me especially deeply.

First off I'll just say that for me to write this post I have to be brutally honest about a side of the job that most non-police don't even know that much about, the police-adjacent characters that play a pretty significant role in the career of the average police officer. NO not fireman and EMS. I'm talking about the other people that if you work the street you get to know by name because you see them that often. They are the medical examiners, the tow truck drivers, and yes at times the Security Types. Security types come in basically two flavors; bouncer types and security guard types.

Security Guard Types:

If you've gone to the calls and done the job you know dudes like this. You usually meet them pretty early on in your career and you get used to them, they can be clingy at times. As you gain experience you learn what they do well and what they don't. Most of the time the whole precinct knows who they are. They will work security at an apartment complex or a gated community. In my case I worked a pretty rough side of Atlanta so there were no gated communities there, only apartments, and trust me the apartments that had gates were the roughest of all. These security guard types usually know all the neighborhood "stuff". They know (or purport to know) who sells the drugs and who is breaking in houses. They definitely know about the noise complaints and the unruly kids. The teens smoking weed. Most of the time they wan't you to run some dope-boy off or break up the couple having sex in the parking lot. Or maybe they are in over their head with a thug that they have talked a little to sassy too and they have been told they are going to get beat up or worse. Sometimes they do get beat up and worse. There is a place for people like this. They should be respected for what they do. But they should always respect what role they play and even more than that the limits of their authority.

In my experience this person gets in over their head a lot. There seems to be this struggle between what they perceive as their authority and what they know is their responsibility. As a cop they can make your life easier if they just keep the little stuff tamped down, (i.e. kids running at the pool, loud music complaints). But When you drive up and the security guard hands you a 27 ounce bag of weed that they just "confiscated" from someone in a car that is now unoccupied, the occupant of which has since run into a now locked apartment that Mr security just happens to have the key to, and they are begging you to enter (with no warrant), so that they can "help you apprehend the perp", well I think you get the picture. Every single day police officers have to make decisions like this. All are trained, some better than others. Security officer's choose to make these decisions without the training."

"George fits into a special category that we will just term the perpetual wanna-be. He loves guns, he loves MMA, he watches cops. He fancies himself a criminal investigator in the making. He patrols in his personal vehicle, keeps a police scanner and thinks that he has a direct line into dispatch. The dispatchers on night shift probably do know him by name only because he shows up on caller ID so much. On the night in question he probably sees Trayvon and for some tragic reason made his mind up that this sneaky perp wasn't going to get away from him this time. His GUN makes him do things that he shouldn't do because he is basically a coward. He follows, attacks, then is bested in a ground fight by a 17 year old boy that he outweighed by several pounds that he then decides to shoot at point blank range. Even the fight scene that played out in Zimmermans mind was written like an urban contemporary movie with Trayvon's last words saying "you got me". (really?) As a police officer you are trained to use the necessary force to subdue the threat but if there is no longer a deadly threat, deadly force is no longer necessary or approved. Translation = Had this been a real police officer, his ass would be in deep ####. The local police knew he was a cheese ball. That's why they never hired him. They probably knew him by name.

I think what we have in George Zimmerman is a person who very likely has tried to be a police officer many, many, many times but couldn't for some very good reasons. He has probably tried to apply to police departments and could not pass the entry requirements. Now from the surface you would say this is because of his size. You may surmise that he probably couldn't meet the weight or fitness standard. But I disagree. I would wager that Mr. Zimmerman has probably never gotten past the psyche evaluation. I'm sure laws prohibit the release of applicant information but I would bet that he has applied to at least 2 or more sheriff or police departments in the area and has been declined. You see even in a big city it's a relatively small community. Once you begin applying and fail a polygraph or fail a psych, that follows you. Chances are he's failed a few and has likely been blacklisted. Judging from his demeanor and some of the witness statements he may have some delusions as well. As many voter purges as FL has done it is amazing that this man was able to purchase a weapon after an altercation with police and a DV but I assume that is what having a father in law enforcement will get you. Just from the 30,000 foot view Zimmerman probably never should have been able to purchase a gun. Zimmerman never should have held the job that he did. And Zimmerman never should have been able to get away with murder but he did."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
An entire hit piece written on the basis of nothing but a buttload of the author's unsupported assumptions and irrelevant anecdotes?

Nice.

Cool story.

protectmd

With that being said....

I am guessing that by posting that you are advocating that if a police officer had been following Mr. Martin, that Mr. Martin wouldn't have been killed because "police are trained better than citizens?" I am willing to bet that if a cop had killed Martin, the outrage would still be the same. Im also willing to bet that a cop getting their head smashed against the pavement by Martin would have shot him too, before he blacked out and had his gun taken.

Your going to contend that police officers are trained not to shoot "unarmed" subjects like Martin? How many stories have you read where cops have shot individuals armed with "cellphones" that rapidly are pulled out of their pockets to simulate a gun? How many cops have shot individuals who were "being rammed by the suspect" in their car? How many cops have shot individuals who were only armed with their hands "he tried to take my gun, so I shot him" story? By what you believe, you contend that police would have been "trained" to deal with someone like Martin.

You must be high on something if you believe that, and I am guessing you do since you posted the article.

Perhaps you should take a look at America's police force. They are certainly not built like the Marines, as many of them are overweight, out of shape, and lazy. Many of them have health issues, and due to budget cutbacks, training has been cut down. This translates to more complaints, more uses of force, more shootings (because less training is held due to budget cutbacks), more misses during shootings. Even the training is considered substandard considered to some countries, where law enforcement undergoes years of training and education before going into service. I once saw a poster that depicted a very obese Washington State Highway Patrolman with a caption that stated "Go ahead and run, i'll just shoot you and do the paperwork." Even if your a cop and you want to try and get your licks in on me like "Itsrequired" the sad reality is that your lumped in with every other individual with a badge. Whether your a deputy, trooper, police officer, whatever, the public doesn't discriminate when it comes to cops as all law enforcement is the same in our eyes. My suggestion is if you do work in law enforcement, I suggest you get your counterparts into shape, because after all they are your backup, they represent you and vice versa. Its funny how law enforcement tries to distance themselves from the likes of more urban police agencies with corruption problems, but the reality is, to me as John Q Taxpayer, they are all the same.

With that being said, I think if a cop was following Martin, and was overweight, out of shape yet of "higher training" its likely that the cop would have shot Mr. Martin as well. The public would still have the same outcries, the same gripes, the same uproar, especially if it was a white cop. Maybe you've forgotten the 70's through 90's in DC/PG and how much contempt there was every time a white cop shot a young unarmed black male in the community. It got to the point where the community was cheering on the thugs and urging cop killers to be set free "Because the racist police were beating them and deserved to die." Perhaps this doesn't go on as much as it used to, but I believe that potential is greater than it used to be. Society looks for an excuse to riot. Its coming.

For those us who live in Good Ole Southern Maryland. While Mr. Martin and his debate may not affect us, its different this time because groups like the "New Black Panther Party" threatened on national TV to bring the violence to the white neighborhoods in retaliation for this event. The odds of you being attacked for being "White while jogging" or "White man pumping gas" is greater than ever, especially while its still hot out and crime is at its peak.

protectmd

Well you often don't post your views on life. You often post articles that possibly represent your views or perhaps you post to show how skewed the media has become in representing 1 sided views. Personally, I would imagine the articles you post represent your views, because you do not post your dissent towards the views that are posted in your articles.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
As a police officer you are trained to use the necessary force to subdue the threat but if there is no longer a deadly threat, deadly force is no longer necessary or approved. Translation = Had this been a real police officer, his ass would be in deep ####. The local police knew he was a cheese ball. That's why they never hired him. They probably knew him by name.

The first time his head was slammed into the ground he would have been shot until the cop ran out of bullets, and possibly a reload.

Last edited:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
The first time his head was slammed into the ground he would have been shot

Trayvon is responsible for the outcome of this confrontation. If he'd only told George Zimmerman "This is just a bash. Not a kill." George would have definitely said "OK, I'll just lie here while you respond to your homophobic juices."

itsrequired

I don't know what this cops "street" experience is but I know that any decent cop looks forward to the people in the neighborhoods who are able to provide good information. Any decent cop is not so arrogant that they think they can do this job without the help of the community we serve. Zimmerman may be a wanna be. Good! Every cop I know at one point was a wanna be. That's why we are here. I don't know when that became something bad. A gun guy, protecting his community is not a coward to me. Does that mean that every cop who carries a gun is a coward because he doesn't do his job unarmed.

This case was about a guy defending himself against a person who decided to commit a crime. That's right. People keep talking about Trayvon doing nothing wrong and that may be true up until the point where he decided to assault George Zimmerman. Shame on him.

mamatutu

mama to two
I don't know what this cops "street" experience is but I know that any decent cop looks forward to the people in the neighborhoods who are able to provide good information. Any decent cop is not so arrogant that they think they can do this job without the help of the community we serve. Zimmerman may be a wanna be. Good! Every cop I know at one point was a wanna be. That's why we are here. I don't know when that became something bad. A gun guy, protecting his community is not a coward to me. Does that mean that every cop who carries a gun is a coward because he doesn't do his job unarmed.

This case was about a guy defending himself against a person who decided to commit a crime. That's right. People keep talking about Trayvon doing nothing wrong and that may be true up until the point where he decided to assault George Zimmerman. Shame on him.

It is a shame. Trayvon, no doubt, would love a second chance. I hope the lesson here to young people is that being a thug, tough guy, gangster doesn't necessarily work out well. Much less the fact that young people think they are invincible.

On another note, I have been listening to the debates on this tonight, and both sides love to spin their opinions, and beliefs. It is hard to listen to without having a total anxiety breakdown. I have learned a lot from this "remembering Trayvon" frenzy. Could we please start over with a Libertarian (or anything other than Dem or Repub) POTUS, and Congress can fall where it may, but our country, at this point, is out of control, and is in a sad state of affairs. JMO

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It is a shame. Trayvon, no doubt, would love a second chance. I hope the lesson here to young people is that being a thug, tough guy, gangster doesn't necessarily work out well. Much less the fact that young people think they are invincible.

Perspective matters.

The fundamental problem with that wish is that it ignores the basic reality of the environment TM was raised and lived in. In that environment, the lessons are quite different and so are the role models. The gold-flashing, drug selling, gun-toting, fight-skilled street tough characters ARE the successful actors/survivors in that environment and are the role models for far too many Trayvons.

So no...IMHO there is no positive lesson of any kind that came out of this as far as Trayvon and his peers are concerned. Only a lot of inadvertent reinforcement of negative behaviors and negative stereotypes.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The first time the cop was rushed Martin would have been shot until the cop ran out of bullets, and possibly a reload.

:fixed:

a police officer would not have let a suspect get close enough for a physical altercation