Tom Diaz on Dangerous Gun Laws

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article/video (Part 1).

"The death of Trayvon Martin has ignited a debate not just over our justice system, but on laws such as “stand your ground” that contributed to the tragic result. Bill talks with author and gun industry analyst Tom Diaz about how a lethal combination of self-defense laws and concealed carry laws — championed by the NRA and the gun industry — makes us more vulnerable to gun violence. He warns that the genie is out of the bottle and we should be gravely concerned about the unrelenting marketing of guns. Diaz’s latest book is The Last Gun: How Changes in the Gun Industry Are Killing Americans and What It Will Take to Stop It.

“What we have is fewer and fewer people buying more and more guns,” Diaz tells Bill. “I think most average Americans simply have no understanding of the mindset of the diminishing number of people who own firearms and who own them specifically to carry out on the street… that mindset is ‘danger lurks everywhere and you better have your gun to protect yourself.’”

Watch Part 2 of Bill’s conversation with Tom Diaz.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
"The death of Trayvon Martin has ignited a debate not just over our justice system, but on laws such as “stand your ground” that contributed to the tragic result.

That is a lie.
SYG was not part of Zimmerman's defense
It's the battle cry of the progressive agenda because "stand your ground" laws shield the user from civil law suits and prevent lawyers from profiting when people are killed

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Facts are difficult to refute, so rely on emotional arguments.

I ignore asswipes like this, unless some numbnuts brings it to my attention.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Stand your ground a "dangerous gun law"? :confused: Thought the aspects of the law was that if one believes that they are in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm that person could use deadly force, even if they started the altercation. It has not one thing to do with any gun law.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I hope stand your ground laws are passed in all 50 states and territories....

Can't happen in Maryland. The legislature believes that homeowners are all evil and shouldn't be able to protect themselves from Democrat voters who want their gibs.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Come on folks, consider the source... Boy is a progressive liberal that wants everyone to be subject to the government and that we all do not own out own bodies to defend ourselves; we're just too stupid to make that decision that we must depend on the government to do it for us.

Except abortion........... you know that thing that butchers babies.

protectmd

Can't happen in Maryland. The legislature believes that homeowners are all evil and shouldn't be able to protect themselves from Democrat voters who want their gibs.

According to who? I have a feeling that this "transformation" and "rallies/protesting" will be the straw that gets conservatives pissed off and become cause for their own rallies. Many people vote "Democrat" in Maryland because its tradition. Perhaps you should tell me what voting "Democrat" has done for you and your community if you live in Maryland. Have you watched your taxes go up? Maybe crime has gone up as well. Are you slowly watching your entire happy go lucky shielded community lifestyle go down the tubes? Do you gladly hit the polls and vote for politicians that take your tax dollars and fund Prince Georges County and Baltimore City while your county gets shafted? Well perhaps its time to stand up for what you believe in. Take a stand that your not going to let your community succumb to this sickness.

Lets be clear, these rallies with the NAACP, Rainbow PUSH, National Action Network, etc don't want to force their view on Travyon Martin down your throat. They are going to push their views on gun control, immigration, self defense laws and everything else that they want down your throat. The only thing stopping it is to show that people are going to stand up and speak out against their agenda. Sitting at home hoarding guns and ammunition reading your bible isn't enough anymore. Renewing an NRA membership and sending an e-mail to a politician expressing your discontent for their support for the destruction of America isn't enough. I have a feeling that there is going to be counter rallies at some point like you've never seen before, because people in the streets is whats is needed to get your point across. The camera's and politicians cannot ignore the will of the people, American's that stand against criminals hijacking the country in the name of "civil rights." If your tired of watching America as you know it go down the toilet, perhaps you should get out and do something about it. Starting small in your community and building to get bigger. I remember crossing the bay bridge and observing a tea party rally on a Saturday evening on Kent Island. Citizens of all races, religions, from all neighborhoods taking a stand, grouping together to take a stand against the decline of American life.

Like I said before, Obama and his cronies have taken a great risk supporting thuggery, criminal ways and the gangster culture. I have a feeling that the Democrats are going to lose in the next elections. You will see. I hope they keep supporting "Trayvon and other criminals" as its going to cost them hard fought gains in borderline states, and even change the views of the community who once believed in him and the Democratic party.

edinsomd

Nope.

Maryland: Governor O’Malley Signs Self-Defense Reform Bill! (Castle Doctrine!)

"On Thursday, May 20, 2010, Governor Martin O’Malley (D) signed into law a long awaited self-defense measure giving Maryland’s law-abiding citizens the ability to protect themselves and loved ones from harm.

Senate Bill 411, sponsored by State Senator Mac Middleton (D-28), provides civil immunity from damages when force, including deadly force, is used under reasonable circumstances to repel an attack in the person’s dwelling or place of business. Pursuant to Maryland law, this measure will be effective on October 1, 2010."

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Last edited:

edinsomd

'Maryland also follows the common law rule that, outside of one's home, a person, before using deadly force in self-defense, has the duty "'to retreat or avoid danger if such means were within his power and consistent with his safety.'" DeVaughn v. State, 232 Md. 447, 453, 194 A.2d 109, 112 (1963), cert. denied, 376 U.S. 527 (1964), quoting Bruce v. State, 218 Md. 87, 97, 145 A.2d 428, 433 (1958). See also Burch v. State, 346 Md. 253, 283, 696 A.2d 443, 458 (1997).

But a person does not have to retreat if it would not be safe for the person to do so. "f the peril of the defendant was imminent, he did not have to retreat but had a right to stand his ground and to defend and protect himself." Bruce v. State, supra, 218 Md. at 97, 145 A.2d at 433.'

Happy now?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
'Maryland also follows the common law rule that, outside of one's home, a person, before using deadly force in self-defense, has the duty "'to retreat or avoid danger if such means were within his power and consistent with his safety.'" DeVaughn v. State, 232 Md. 447, 453, 194 A.2d 109, 112 (1963), cert. denied, 376 U.S. 527 (1964), quoting Bruce v. State, 218 Md. 87, 97, 145 A.2d 428, 433 (1958). See also Burch v. State, 346 Md. 253, 283, 696 A.2d 443, 458 (1997).

But a person does not have to retreat if it would not be safe for the person to do so. "f the peril of the defendant was imminent, he did not have to retreat but had a right to stand his ground and to defend and protect himself." Bruce v. State, supra, 218 Md. at 97, 145 A.2d at 433.'

Happy now?

So, when I go looking for the list of 23 states with Stand Your Ground laws, I'll see Maryland listed? Let's go see, shall we?

edinsomd

So, when I go looking for the list of 23 states with Stand Your Ground laws, I'll see Maryland listed? Let's go see, shall we?

More like 30 states, from what I've read. But whatever floats your boat; I've done enough research for you.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

protectmd

Despite what you may have assumed, the reality is Maryland is a "Duty to retreat state." This works in favor of the criminals as they invade your homes, cars, and places of work. You technically have the duty to retreat, to call 911, to jump from a 2nd story window before using deadly force in self defense of your life, your families life and property. Furthermore, police have no duty to come to your rescue. South Vs's Maryland and Warren Vs's DC has reaffirmed the courts position that the police are not required to "protect and serve" and if you are being brutally attacked, raped, killed, etc inside your own house, the police cannot be held responsible if they do nothing to stop it. Now, how does it feel to know how things really are in Maryland?

The Failure of Law Enforcement Officers to Enforce the Law

Check this out...