Mom dies after falling from roller coaster

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Sad story.

ARLINGTON, Texas – A woman died Friday evening in an accident while riding the Texas Giant roller coaster at a Six Flags amusement park in North Texas, authorities said.

"They didn't secure her right. One of the employees from the park -- one of the ladies -- she asked her to click her more than once, and they were like, `As long you heard it click, you're OK.' Everybody else is like, `Click, click, click.' Hers only clicked once. Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn't feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride," Brown told The Dallas Morning News.

Read more: Mom dies after falling from roller coaster at Six Flags in Texas, witnesses say | Fox News

bcp

In My Opinion
certainly a tragic thing,
the reality is that anytime humans are involved, there is always room for failure of any situation.
either the human made mechanical end of things, or the human factor on the safety of use end.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn't feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride," Brown told The Dallas Morning News.

for the restraint to 'CLICK' she would already have to be on the ride ....

Bay_Kat

Tropical
for the restraint to 'CLICK' she would already have to be on the ride ....

I caught that too, she should have phrased that better. What I saw on TV was that the restraint didn't click 3 times like everyone else's and she said it didn't but they said oh it's fine and started the ride anyway.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I caught that too, she should have phrased that better. What I saw on TV was that the restraint didn't click 3 times like everyone else's and she said it didn't but they said oh it's fine and started the ride anyway.

:whistle:

that's OK,
.... I am sure some lawyer will clean up the statement for the witness stand

protectmd

Has anyone here had any experiences where an Amusement park had issues?

I've seen ride accidents occur. It hasn't deterred me from riding coasters. Getting stuck on a ride easily guaranteed free season pass forms from Kings Dominion. They definitely took care of us, giving us meal vouchers etc. So can a park employee bumping into you, that can easily earn you free season pass forms as well. I have seen this occur.

I've also had a ride break and get accused of breaking it. The ride operator stopped the ride and threatened to throw me out of the park because a bolt broke off. The ride operator stated that I was improperly operating the ride and it caused the break in the bolt that snapped. Personally, the ride should be shut down because of the flaw.

I have been shocked that alot more ride designs aren't shut down due to injury. One of the more famous ones that was shut down after lawsuits is the Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens. Apparently they faced tons of litigation over neck injuries.

C

czygvtwkr

I've seen ride accidents occur. It hasn't deterred me from riding coasters. Getting stuck on a ride easily guaranteed free season pass forms from Kings Dominion. They definitely took care of us, giving us meal vouchers etc. So can a park employee bumping into you, that can easily earn you free season pass forms as well. I have seen this occur.

I've also had a ride break and get accused of breaking it. The ride operator stopped the ride and threatened to throw me out of the park because a bolt broke off. The ride operator stated that I was improperly operating the ride and it caused the break in the bolt that snapped. Personally, the ride should be shut down because of the flaw.

I have been shocked that alot more ride designs aren't shut down due to injury. One of the more famous ones that was shut down after lawsuits is the Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens. Apparently they faced tons of litigation over neck injuries.

I'm staying far away from you at amusement parks, until now I have never heard anyone say anything about bad stuff happening to them at amusement parks and apparently and entire years worth of accidents have some how happened to you.

Bay_Kat

Tropical

I don't ride coasters, but we went to Universal and my husband and some friends were stuck on the Hulk for about 45 minutes. No freebies, not even sure if there was an apology. There excuse was since it was early in the morning and it was a chilly morning the ride wasn't warmed up. He's ridden it many times since that.

PJay

Years ago a ride I was on stopped. Unfortunately, it stopped working when my seat was at the highest height and my seat upside down. People on ground looked like ants. I tried to keep eyes closed while blood rushed to my head. Swore if my feet were allowed to touch the ground again, that's where they would stay.

protectmd

Well when you get a season pass and your there alot, you tend to see things you wouldn't normally see. The odds of you witnessing or becoming apart of "an incident" definitely increase.

Injury Accidents at Kings Dominion

For the guy who said "Im going to stay away from you at a theme park."

Consider this. It was a few years back that someone hit the pedal on the shockwave releasing the restraints. The person jumped off at the turn located at the top to commit suicide.

In the 70's, the Eiffel Tower only used to have a small fence surrounding the observation deck. After several jumpers, a cage with bars were installed at the top to prevent suicides.

Prior to the installation of metal detectors, I observed a stabbing at the park, and several Virginia state troopers and armed parked security at Kings Dominion attempting to track down a man armed with a machete. There was a report of a rape once there inside the outer limits (when it was still completely dark inside the hanger). Shortly thereafter, a staff member was put inside the hanger portion of the building to supervise park guests. I personally observed a fight where some guy got the hell beat out of him. Furthermore, I would consider "security" at that or any park a joke, as I have seen bags/objects passed over/under the fence that borders the park to patrons inside the park who've been "searched." This is the reason they have armed security staff and police patrolling the inside of that park.

"The Grizzly" roller coaster used to have metal seat backings, no pads. This made for a very rough ride where you literally banged your head against the metal seat.

"The Outer Limits" coaster even changed since it opened you'll notice. The launch speed was slowed from 65-64 mph to 56 mph. Lighting was added to the inside of the building. The restraints were changed to prevent neck injuries.

Sky Pilot - Theme Park Review
Who could forget the "Sky Pilot." Another instance where restraint failure combined with inversion at elevation results in death. Thats almost a guarantee if your not held in by centrifugal force.

You can easily surf the internet and find an assortment of incidents where someone was seriously injured, killed, maimed, etc at a theme park. Some causes would be attributed to ride design, mechanical failures, medical incident (heart attack, stroke), suicide or attempted suicide, reckless behavior (standing up on coasters, throwing objects while ride is in motion, not keeping hands/feet inside car at all times, failing to follow rules/instructions) of the park.

These are just simply incidents at Kings Dominion. Not all of them can be found on the internet anymore as powerful corporate attorneys and witnesses/victims being silenced through payments etc. I have a ton of stories from individuals injured from driving head on in bumper cars, to park guests being trapped on the Hypersonic XLC for 2+ hours and stuck halfway up the hill.

If you think Kings Dominion is bad, you should consider Six Flags PG County, aka "Ghetto flags." The last time I was there, several young african american males were involved in a brutal fistfight in the line. Its a step below "kings dominion" and I've seen patrons at "ghetto flags" spit on other patrons while riding a coaster, throw objects from the rides onto park guests, many many fist fights, and even observed police responding to cars that had been broken into while parked in the parking lot. While visiting, I didn't bother going into the water park, as I already got the feeling of unwelcomness as it was. I quit going to "ghetto flags" ever since they shut down "country music day" as that was the last hope for that place. The park would further get a low review from myself as it often closes early in the evening (probably to prevent crime), there is a height restriction on rides (which was recently removed by PG County Council to allow the building of better/taller coasters), and a generally unsafe environment that only caters to a certain type of individual. Its certainly not a family environment. I laugh when I watch coaster shows on TV and see Six Flags PG on there, as they often close the park to film there. Its clear they don't want to give the public a real feel for what really goes on at that place.

All in all, most permanent theme parks are safe. There is alot of regulation's and inspections put into place by not only the parks but the states as well. Whats more concerning than theme parks for injuries, IMHO is carnivals. They often travel, set up quick, and cut corners to make a quick buck.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If you think Kings Dominion is bad, you should consider Six Flags PG County, aka "Ghetto flags." The last time I was there, several young african american males were involved in a brutal fistfight in the line.

I quit going to "ghetto flags" ever since they shut down "country music day" as that was the last hope for that place.

and a generally unsafe environment that only caters to a certain type of individual. [what individual is that] Its certainly not a family environment.

I laugh when I watch coaster shows on TV and see Six Flags PG on there, as they often close the park to film there. Its clear they don't want to give the public a real feel for what really goes on at that place.

All in all, most permanent theme parks are safe. There is alot of regulation's and inspections put into place by not only the parks but the states as well.

when was the last time you set foot in 'Ghetto Flags'

https://forums.somd.com/chit-chat/249013-critique-time-six-flags-mitchelville.html

and we all know what a beaner hating Racist BCP is .... :killingme

protectmd

I don't care if BCP is a "Beaner hating racist."

I am not him, and I am not a racist.

The last time I went there was about 7 years ago. I refuse to go back.

I have spoken to people about crime there, and can tell you that it continues to be an issue, despite the fact that they even employ police officers there to guard the parking lot. How could such bad things happen like vehicle break ins and assaults occur with police officers guarding the parking lot??!?

The reason crime will continue to occur there is for 2 reasons. A. Field trips. Public and private schools are filled with heathens and lawless hooligans that are future inmates in the making. Many youth run wild unsupervised until they are caught, and even then, park staff is easily overwhelmed with security incidents etc. Even when schools out, the park has become a magnet and pseudo baby sitting service for unsupervised minors B. its geographically in the center of PG, Baltimore and DC. This brings in groups from all over that inherently don't thrive in harmony together simply based on the neighborhood or area they live in. The clashes are frequent and much like a redskins game, the only real "threat" you face is ejection from the park/stadium or arrest (in a non working Pee Gee County criminal justice system where prosecution is rare) and you will be out in no time since their jail is at capacity filled with violent felons and the misdemeanor of "disorderly conduct" will result in being released on recognizance.

Most gangsters and thugs will risk ejection from the park to boost their street cred by fighting a rival or committing a low level misdemeanor like vandalism, assault, of other patrons.

Ghetto Flags caters to this type of environment as they often have "Gay pride day" and "WPGC 95.5 events." You will notice that they don't have Veterans/Armed forces appreciation day, public safety personnel appreciation days and events that include DC 101, 98 Rock or even WMZQ country music events like they used to. Its clear that the ownership and management doesn't care about drawing in certain types of park patrons.

So explain how things have "improved" at "Ghetto Flags?" You pay a fee for a ticket that might cost the same at another park that stays open later, offers more attractions/shows/concerts, and doesn't have these issues? Im guessing you would offer advice to attend such a park like "Don't drive your dodge/chrysler/jeep product to the parking lot, remove all valuables prior to travel, don't carry cash, and show up in a large group preferably that contains males skilled in martial arts? Yup, just the experience I was looking for on vacation.

BOP

Sad story.

ARLINGTON, Texas – A woman died Friday evening in an accident while riding the Texas Giant roller coaster at a Six Flags amusement park in North Texas, authorities said.

"They didn't secure her right. One of the employees from the park -- one of the ladies -- she asked her to click her more than once, and they were like, `As long you heard it click, you're OK.' Everybody else is like, `Click, click, click.' Hers only clicked once. Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn't feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride," Brown told The Dallas Morning News.

Read more: Mom dies after falling from roller coaster at Six Flags in Texas, witnesses say | Fox News

Ban roller coasters!

:cds:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rode Drachen Fire on several ocassions before they dismantled it.
Still have my large Drachen Fire sippy cup.

My neck is still red :lmao:

Seriously, I remember there being a sign that asked you to remove post style earrings.
The first time that I rode I did not remove the small post style cross that I was wearing in my left ear.
When I got off of the ride it was pointed out to me that I had small bleeding red dots on my neck behind my earlobe.
Obviously caused by the posts being driven into my neck.

There were some real strange and radical twists and bends in Drachen Fire.