Need some advice

acommondisaster

Tucker has turned out to be a very complex little dog. He's a two year old chihuahua. He hardly barks - only when tall men he doesn't know come in the house - that's it.

He's obviously been loved. He snuggles and wants to be on my lap, no matter what I'm doing. He loves women - he'll beg to be picked up by any woman who comes in the house. He loves socializing with other dogs. He definitely knows "people food" and treats.

But

When I pick up anything or carry anything with my right hand, he tucks his tail between his legs and scoots off and won't come near me (it's okay if I switch it to my left hand). He loves walks, but tonight he would not go out the door with my husband, who was carrying a small box to drop in the recycling bin on the way out. I caught him trying to climb on a chair to get to the table and (knowing he's skittish), I gently said "No, Tucker" and you'd have thought I'd kicked the table over and screamed, by his reaction. So yeah, someone's been mean to him. :(

How do I help him become a happy dog? How do I help him feel safe and secure here in his new home? I'm boiling mad at whoever did this to this sweet little creature; and I want to fix him. I always thought dogs lived in the present, but he's definitely got some issues with is past. Our house is a quiet peaceful place, and we don't raise our voices. I'm hoping that will help, but I'm sure there's got to be more that has to be done.

One other thing - he doesn't "need" to be crated, but I think he's having a hard time the hour or two he has to be alone a couple of times a week. He cries like a baby when I get home. Would he be better off in a crate, or will he still cry when we get home?

mamatutu

mama to two
Tucker has turned out to be a very complex little dog. He's a two year old chihuahua. He hardly barks - only when tall men he doesn't know come in the house - that's it.

He's obviously been loved. He snuggles and wants to be on my lap, no matter what I'm doing. He loves women - he'll beg to be picked up by any woman who comes in the house. He loves socializing with other dogs. He definitely knows "people food" and treats.

But

When I pick up anything or carry anything with my right hand, he tucks his tail between his legs and scoots off and won't come near me (it's okay if I switch it to my left hand). He loves walks, but tonight he would not go out the door with my husband, who was carrying a small box to drop in the recycling bin on the way out. I caught him trying to climb on a chair to get to the table and (knowing he's skittish), I gently said "No, Tucker" and you'd have thought I'd kicked the table over and screamed, by his reaction. So yeah, someone's been mean to him. :(

How do I help him become a happy dog? How do I help him feel safe and secure here in his new home? I'm boiling mad at whoever did this to this sweet little creature; and I want to fix him. I always thought dogs lived in the present, but he's definitely got some issues with is past. Our house is a quiet peaceful place, and we don't raise our voices. I'm hoping that will help, but I'm sure there's got to be more that has to be done.

One other thing - he doesn't "need" to be crated, but I think he's having a hard time the hour or two he has to be alone a couple of times a week. He cries like a baby when I get home. Would he be better off in a crate, or will he still cry when we get home?

I don't know about the crate thing because I have never used them. But, I do understand the abuse thing. Our Cookie (Akita/Shepherd) was very cowering, and would yelp, or cry out when we first adopted her at 3 months; especially if we made sudden movements, or made sudden unexpected noises. There is no question she was abused. We had her for 14 years, and she became a very sweet and happy dog. I just loved her so much. But, anytime there were gunshots from the neighbors, thunder, loud booms of any kind; she would run to the bottom of the basement stairs and pee and poop. I cleaned up a lot of messes, and my neighbors eventually were trained to call me before target practice, so I could take her out ahead of time to do her business. It is something she never really got over, even though she had a happy life with us. It takes patience, love, and hope that you can change their reality. I know my Cookie was a very happy pup with us, but some things we couldn't change. Tucker is so lucky to have you as his new mom. Hugs to both of you. :huggy:

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living

But

It is a good thing abused animals cannot speak. Some people take their discipline tactics too far but do not think they are doing anything wrong. Some people are just plain mean and take it out on their pets/animals.

It sounds like it will take time and patience. Some animals (or even people for that matter) take baby steps; some take giant leaps. There are some things you may not be able to undo but time may soften the anxiety. Trust may soften the anxiety. And loving this pup unconditionally should certainly help.

You may consider having a trainer come to your home and work with you on understanding his behavior and how to react to it.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It is a good thing abused animals cannot speak. Some people take their discipline tactics too far but do not think they are doing anything wrong. Some people are just plain mean and take it out on their pets/animals.

It sounds like it will take time and patience. Some animals (or even people for that matter) take baby steps; some take giant leaps. There are some things you may not be able to undo but time may soften the anxiety. Trust may soften the anxiety. And loving this pup unconditionally should certainly help.

You may consider having a trainer come to your home and work with you on understanding his behavior and how to react to it.

:yay:

sent her info on the trainer I have used and sent a few other to also....

luvmygdaughters

Captn Morgan was like that when I first got her. She is still skittish when I have the broom in my hand or if I or husband come in the door carrying bags of groceries or anything really. She has gotten better though. When I get the broom to sweep the floor, I'll grab a treat first, get the broom then call her over to me while I'm holding the broom. It must be working because she has gotten a lot better. Now the vacuum is another story, she does not like that monster at all, but, neither did Nikki and we got her when she was 8 weeks old and stayed with us for 18 years. She never got used to the vacuum

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
This.

It takes time and patience and you need to be aware that some things may never truly change but there will be so much love that will be your reward.

I suggest being consistent and confident when Tucker is anxious. Your positive "pack leader" confidence will go a long way towards making him feel secure. Don't baby him when he's being scared. It will just re-enforce his fear that something is scary. Just try to ignore and project positive attitude. Come here. Good boy. Everything is okay. And walk on.

If he hasn't been crate trained, since he's older, it may make him feel he is being punished. Try leaving the crate in the common room (living room) and have it available and open at all times with toys and treats inside until he feels comfortable going in and out (curious) all by himself.

Once he realizes it's a "safe zone" you can try locking him up for increased amounts of time.

Otherwise you can consider baby gating an area that you feel comfortable leaving him in while you are gone.

Keep a radio/tv on for comfort noise to help with his seperation anxiety. I leave DogTV on for my dogs and the seperation anxiety has disappeared. I turn on the Dog TV in the mornings prior to leaving for work and they go running to their room ready to be left for the day. This took about 6 months.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

sent her info on the trainer I have used and sent a few other to also....

acommondisaster,

hopefully time will heal those wounds and perhaps some training will get him closer to that goal. I also have a dog that was abused previously... some things she got over and some things she didn't.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Apollo is a flake, too. For some reason me pulling out the trash bag out of the can to empty it sends him into a frenzy. Once the bag of trash is out of the can he's good and no problems when I shake a new bag to replace the old one.

He still cowers and rolls onto his belly whenever I go to pet him.

He loves his crate, sleeps in there all the time and that's where I put him to quiet down when he's freaking out about something. Seems to have no problems being in there when I'm gone.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Apollo is a flake, too. For some reason me pulling out the trash bag out of the can to empty it sends him into a frenzy. Once the bag of trash is out of the can he's good and no problems when I shake a new bag to replace the old one.

He still cowers and rolls onto his belly whenever I go to pet him.

He loves his crate, sleeps in there all the time and that's where I put him to quiet down when he's freaking out about something. Seems to have no problems being in there when I'm gone.

omg.... all of mine go crazy when i pull out a new bag.... :cds: they know that goes along with taking the trash outside and looking out the storm door...

also its funny how they learn a routine... like in the AM when i feed my dogs... i have just enough time to take my meds before they finish.... so then they go out...

my male GSD will bark and want to go out anytime i stand in that area and take a drink from my cup... day or night... :banghead: he associates me drinking from a cup in that area to going outside. :cds: