What happened?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Got an alert saying NB Rt 4 at Mt Harmony Rd will be shut down for possibly the next 8-10 hours due to a car accident. Anyone know what happened to cause such an issue? Thoughts and prayers to those involved.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:popcorn:

Somebody it one of the STEEL TRANSMISSION/DISTRIBUTION poles....

.... hate to say but steel poles dont give like a wooden pole....

contacted a few buddies I know... and they will be replacing the steel pole... and im sure they will be doing accident reconstruction

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
police are forcing you turn right on Mount Harmony and traffic is a disaster going that way.

Luckily, I'll be heading SB in a few hours, not NB.

:popcorn:

Somebody it one of the STEEL TRANSMISSION/DISTRIBUTION poles....

.... hate to say but steel poles dont give like a wooden pole....

contacted a few buddies I know... and they will be replacing the steel pole... and im sure they will be doing accident reconstruction

Wow! That's horrible.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Luckily, I'll be heading SB in a few hours, not NB.

Wow! That's horrible.

from my past knowledge... changing out a steel pole is more work as if it was on a concrete pad they will have to inspect it to see if there was any cracks in the concrete...

and to add to the drama .. on that pole there is the transmission line that feeds Dunkirk Sub.... and also the distribution line under it that feeds a good part of Dunkirk and the mount harmony area....

Im sure they will try to do all the work with the lines being hot.

AND.... If i remember ... the steel poles come in pieces :coffee:

Rt235

The vehicle struck a metal pole an snapped it in two???? Yikes!!!!
That is a bad intersection any way you look at it.....

From Baynet:
Update:(9:42 am)

Due to a single vehicle accident today Route 4 in the area of Mt. harmony Road has been shut down. A vehicle with a single occupant struck a metal power line support pole. For safety reasons SMECO has asked that Law Enforcement keep the roadway closed.

It is estimated by SMECO that the roadway will be closed for 8 to 10 hours. Expect delays and alternate routes to reach your destination. The operator of the vehicle was flown from the scene and is in critical condition.

Original report:

At 8:39 a.m. the Calvert County Sheriff's Office reported an accident at northbound Route 4 and Mount Harmony Road in Dunkirk. Route 4 northbound side will be shut down for possibly 8 to 10 hours. According to Captain Steve Jones of the Calvert County Sheriff's Office reports a vehicle struck a metal power pole, which snapped in two. No information on injuries is available at this time.

From Southern Maryland News Net:

UPDATE 10:00am:
Rt4 at Mt Harmony rd is currently open for the next few hours, but will be shut down later for an undetermined amount of time.

Last edited:

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
police are forcing you turn right on Mount Harmony and traffic is a disaster going that way.

Sure was a mess, took me 1.5 hours to get my son to the dentist. It's normally a 20 minute drive. Black mustang hit that pole hard, hope the woman driving makes it.

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Earlier today a vehicle damaged one of SMECO’s utility poles north of the intersection of Rt. 4 and Mt. Harmony Rd. in Calvert County. As of this time, the pole is stable and the roads are open. SMECO plans to replace the 80-foot galvanized steel pole beginning at 8 p.m. tonight. The work may take approximately 10 hours. SMECO does not anticipate any power outages during this time. SMECO is working with the appropriate authorities on a traffic management plan for Route 4 to accommodate these repairs.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
The vehicle struck a metal pole an snapped it in two???? Yikes!!!!
That is a bad intersection any way you look at it.....

From Baynet:
Update:(9:42 am)

Due to a single vehicle accident today Route 4 in the area of Mt. harmony Road has been shut down. A vehicle with a single occupant struck a metal power line support pole. For safety reasons SMECO has asked that Law Enforcement keep the roadway closed.

It is estimated by SMECO that the roadway will be closed for 8 to 10 hours. Expect delays and alternate routes to reach your destination. The operator of the vehicle was flown from the scene and is in critical condition.

Original report:

At 8:39 a.m. the Calvert County Sheriff's Office reported an accident at northbound Route 4 and Mount Harmony Road in Dunkirk. Route 4 northbound side will be shut down for possibly 8 to 10 hours. According to Captain Steve Jones of the Calvert County Sheriff's Office reports a vehicle struck a metal power pole, which snapped in two. No information on injuries is available at this time.

From Southern Maryland News Net:

UPDATE 10:00am:
Rt4 at Mt Harmony rd is currently open for the next few hours, but will be shut down later for an undetermined amount of time.

I would be shocked if it snapped it in two... they are bolted together.

and if that was so they would be replacing it now.... and not tonight.

but I will ask my friends and find out what really happened

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Pole WAS NOT SNAPPED ....

but it was severly damaged and bent..... :jet: she must have been flying to do that kinda damage to the pole.

and yes... I have seen pics of the accident.

glhs837

Power with Control
I would be shocked if it snapped it in two... they are bolted together.

and if that was so they would be replacing it now.... and not tonight.

but I will ask my friends and find out what really happened

I see what you did there:high5:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I see what you did there:high5:

:killingme

oohh wait.. not funny.

there was a pole hit in charles county...

split the pole and the lines came down on the car... guy got out of the car and forgot his phone.. he went back to the car and was electrocuted and died

PsyOps

Pixelated
Drove by it at around 1pm and there was a crew there working on it. I don't know if they installed a new poll or working on the damaged one, but no lanes were shut down.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Drove by it at around 1pm and there was a crew there working on it. I don't know if they installed a new poll or working on the damaged one, but no lanes were shut down.

no... from what i hear ...is they have a crew (as seen in the pic) on site supporting the pole till this eve.

the pole has to be delivered.