Understanding Islam...

K

Kain99

Hessian posted something very similar last week....

Here

Even though it's probably all true.... what should we do about it? :confused:

Hessian

This is insightful but shouldn't be new. Sadly Americans still have this horrible naivte' that the Muslems are just mad at us over our help of Israel or grabbing Afghanistan/Iraq.

The deep seated hatred will not be appeased with generosity, treaties, and king gestures.

It reminds me of a cavalry officer who was faced with having to conclude a peace treaty with Native Americans out in Colorado(?) The feud had been so bitter that when it came time to negotiate, the Chief was told that the American commander has no desire to reach a peace accord with them because it would mean that they survive. The Officer told him he would prefer for the fight to continue because when it is over: all the Indians would be dead.
(The Indian Chief signed VERY quickly)

Sparx

Get the hell out and leave them alone to fight among themselves like they have since the begining of time

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Hessian
This is insightful but shouldn't be new. Sadly Americans still have this horrible naivte' that the Muslems are just mad at us over our help of Israel or grabbing Afghanistan/Iraq.

I'm still skeptical, precisely because my whole life I've been taught that Islam is a peaceful religion and that the only bad ones are extremists.

I'd do the research myself if I had time, but I don't. And I don't think many Americans are going to become aware of Islam not being a peaceful religion until someone with enormous authority, respect of most American people, great courage, and an unbiased view sits down and lays out a supporting argument against Islam on national TV.

No great American leaders want to come out and say that Islam is bad a) because of all the muslim-americans in this country and b) he's afraid of losing votes by endorsing the persecution of muslims.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hess...

You know it's new from the standpoint of common public knowledge.

We all know Jews personally and don't fear a global banking cabal. We all know the religion at least a bit and there isn't much to worry about.

I don't know any followers of Islam. Closest we get is Farakhan. Learning about it has been a great side benefit of Al Queda.

I'd love it if any followers of Islam would comment.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by sleuth
I'm still skeptical, precisely because my whole life I've been taught that Islam is a peaceful religion and that the only bad ones are extremists.
Sleuth ... You say alot of scary things but... This is by far the scariest. :frown:

C

czygvtwkr

Kain99

I remember my high school history books said "Muslims respect and live in peace with Jews and Christians because they worship the same God, just differently"

Where they got this lie from I have no idea.

Most of my books were written in the late 70's and early 80's. I graduated high school in 92.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Kain99
Sleuth ... You say alot of scary things but... This is by far the scariest. :frown:

What's scary about it? :shrug: It's what I've been taught, in high school and middle school, about world history.

Thus far, I haven't had the time nor the motivation to research it myself and find out any different of an answer.

And also thus far, no one that I see as unbiased whose opinion I feel I can trust has laid a case for me to switch sides on the issue. Believe me, if someone that I respect who had nothing to lose or gain on the subject would come forward and lay out with historical examples and a broad overview of selections from the Koran, I might be inclined to change my mind.

Until that happens, or until I get the motivation to do the work myself, I only have what I have already learned to fall back on. :confused:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by czygvtwkr

I remember my high school history books said "Muslims respect and live in peace with Jews and Christians because they worship the same God, just differently"

:yeahthat: My schools taught the same thing.

willie

It didn't take Muhammad long to change his "revelations" from peace and love to conquer the infidel.

I sincerely believe that we have some peace loving and good Islamic Americans right here in our area but they read a different version of the quaran than most. The fact that Islam is the religion of choice for jailbirds must tell us something. Islam is a magnet for violent, amoral people. You don't need any columnists opinion to figure it out.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
It seem to me that religious fundamentalism becomes popular during times of massive social change, as a reaction and a reflexive way of dealing with that change.

The growth of Christian fundamentalism in America seemed to be a response to the '60s upheaval, which included civil rights and the women's movement.

And Islamist movements like Wahhabism grew in the decades after the British and French built their empires in Africa and Asia. Was the 20th century like the alarm clock going off in the Arab world? The Arabs, who were leaders in learning before the Crusades, had become socially and culturally isolated from the rest of the world a millenium later.

Fanatics driven by fear and hate can twist the words of any holy book, Jewish, Christian or Muslim, to justify their beliefs.

Last edited:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I guess 9/11 changed nothing for ya....:frown:

It did change something for me. I woke up realized that Islamic radicals were capable of attacking the U.S. I took a job as a government engineer when before 9/11 I wasn't sure I wanted to work in the defense industry.

But it doesn't prove that Islam is an evil religion. All it proves is that these Islamic radicals were psycho. Heck, Christian radicals have committed atrocious crimes in the name of God as well. And Jewish, and etc.

I've known some Islamic people. I met them in college. And to the best I could figure, these were good people. They were not out to kill anybody. That in and of itself tells me that either a) Islam is not uniformly evil or b) they were not following the teachings of Islam because Islam IS evil. Truth be told - I don't know which is correct.

I'm not defending Islam. All I'm saying is that I don't know the answer. I'm waiting for someone that I can believe presents me with very strong to nearly irrefutable evidence that Islam as a religion is evil.

K

Kain99

It did change something for me. I woke up realized that Islamic radicals were capable of attacking the U.S. I took a job as a government engineer when before 9/11 I wasn't sure I wanted to work in the defense industry.
Well, "They" taught us that Santa Claus was real and that George Washington was the first President too....

Does that make it true? For real Sleuth... as adults we must unlearn.. No Lie...:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I'm waiting for someone that I can believe presents me with very strong to nearly irrefutable evidence that Islam as a religion is evil.

I'm not trying to defend or attack any religion either. My concern is that if you label a religion as evil, isn't it then a logical conclusion that all its adherents must be killed? That bastard Osama wants Muslims to believe that the US is out to slaughter all of them, and I don't want him to be right about anything.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Well, "They" taught us that Santa Claus was real and that George Washington was the first President too....

Does that make it true? For real Sleuth... as adults we must unlearn.. No Lie...:wink:

And I'm willing to unlearn... soon as someone gives me a logical well-researched unbiased argument.

I've already learned that Islam "might" be evil. I've ceded my hard and fast position from when I was a kid that Islam was pure and good, for a position of "I'm not sure."

So, convince me that Islam in and of itself is evil, not that a small minority of radical Islamic terrorists are, because I already know that.

K

Kain99

And I'm willing to unlearn... soon as someone gives me a logical well-researched unbiased argument.

I've already learned that Islam "might" be evil. I've ceded my hard and fast position from when I was a kid that Islam was pure and good, for a position of "I'm not sure."

So, convince me that Islam in and of itself is evil, not that a small minority of radical Islamic terrorists are, because I already know that.
Do yourself a favor and read the Quoran (Koran) whichever... Don't waste your time on the *OLd Testament" All the good murderous stuff is in the New. :wink: