Stevenson Pools Review

harleydude

Just posting my experience of having a pool built....really don't care for the blasts from those that cannot resist.

Initial discussions and descriptions of actual items to be installed were very vague. When asked about specifics (such as exactly what pump, what light, which filter, which cleaner, which pool cover, etc), Doug’s (Owner) response was “that’s the normal stuff and is already included”. The contract does not state exactly which items are included. When asked to identify those items, he responded “I can if you want me to, but those are the standard items we install '.

Doug constantly re-emphasized “we dig our own pools. Others do not”. Well…he is correct. They dig their own and install there-bar and plumbing, but that is all. They subcontract the gunite, tiling, concrete, electrical, plaster, caulking and pool cover.

Doug stated “when we are finished, the surrounding grade will be ready for seed”. This statement implies the area will be graded and raked and ready for grass seed. On numerous occasions when I asked if they were going to perform the finish grade and move the dirt they stated I needed for grade, he responded with “we usually don’t do this, and other companies
charge extra for this. But we’ll go ahead and do it”.

Payment schedule…The front end of the effort they collect quite a bit of money (at specified intervals). Basically, they collect 96% of the funds before the water is even put in the pool. 99% once water is put in. Understand, once the pool is filled with water, items remaining to be completed are: install the pool cover, caulk between the tile and concrete and install the chlorine generator (we have a salt water pool). Once Doug received 99% of the funds (the day the pool is filled with water), we have never heard from him again.

Once the hole for the pool was dug, it rained frequently resulting in a lot of water in the bottom of the pool. They provided a pump to pump the water out but removed a couple of sections of hose from my garden reel to use as their pump discharge. While this may seem trivial, it just irritated me that they didn’t bring their own nor did they ask if they could use my hose. During this evolution, they also broke the handle off of my hose sprayer and did not replace it….even after I asked them to.

Once the pool was filled with water, I had to demand they come out and put up a construction fence around the pool that day as the pool fence had not been installed. Doug had responded with “we’ll get out there in the next day or two to put one up”, until I informed him he would assume all liability should someone get hurt until then.

During the first month and a half after the pool was filled with water, the circuit breaker to my pump would consistently trip. Sometimes up to 4 times a day, sometimes only once. I contacted the Service department and they directed me to contact the electrician. (Hmmm…I paid Stevenson pools…not the electrician…some service). The electrician was outstanding. They came out on numerous occasions to rectify the issue. After about 5 attempts to correct (read: 1-1/2 months), they finally fixed the issue. It was 2 defective GFI breakers and found it was necessary to individually power the circulation pump and the booster pump).

The pool cover: Post installation of the pool cover, I noticed a couple of installation adjustments that were necessary. I contacted Stevenson Pools Customer Service. After two weeks of contacting them every other day and their response was consistently “I can’t get a hold of the cover guy, I’ll try again”. I finally requested the cover guy’s phone number so I could call him myself. Once I received the phone number (3 days later), I called and to my surprise, he answered right away and ultimately came down within 4 days and corrected the installation errors.

The Plaster……Let’s just say the Plaster guy needs a huge lesson on attention to detail. Along the steps and the “tanning bed” we have 2’ square tiles installed to aid in identifying the edges. After the plaster work was completed, the tiles appeared round and sunken into the plaster. Fortunately, I arrived home when they were finishing and had them “trim-out” the edges of the tile so they would appear square. Other note, the surface of the plaster is uneven and the edges are not straight. We also have anchors installed for two separate ropes. Unfortunately, one set of anchors is grey with stainless steel hook points and the other is grey with grey plastic hook points. Again, it may seem trivial and not very noticeable, but attention to detail is terrible.

One month ago I noticed a spot in the pool plaster (below the water line) that appeared odd. So I investigate. I find an area of plaster that is concave into the wall of the pool and what appears to be all the way down to the gunite. I call Customer service. For the past month I have been told…..”the plaster guy won’t be down in your area. Once he comes down there, I’ll have him look at it”. Guess it’s time for me to call the plaster guy.

When I noticed the plaster coming off the spot in the pool, I also look at the water returns (on the bottom) and the main drains. Water movement seems odd…..nothing coming out of the returns on the floor. The Return line and the Main drain lines were installed backwards. They fixed that when they came out to install the chlorine generator (that still doesn't work).

Automatic Chlorine Generator…..Still not hooked up after water has been in the pool for 2 ½ months. Aside from the delay of correcting the circuit breaker tripping, the installation included a variable speed pump wired through mechanical timers. Long story short, can’t install a variable speed pump (electronically controlled) through a mechanical timer control and a digital chlorine generator through a mechanical timer switch. However, their response was “just leave the chlorine generator on all the time”. Well, the installation manual clearly states a Warning that a fire or explosion will occur should the generator be operated without water flow. So, now I am waiting (going on a month now) for installation of a digital control for the complete system. Read: I’m still adding chlorine tablets to maintain the chlorine level because the “automatic chlorine generator” is still not operable.

Update: One week after writing this review Joe (GM) is completely involved now. They finally came out with the digital controller. The first mounting of the unit seemed to “clutter” the control panel area with 3 different boxes (breaker, controller, chlorine generator). Joe decided the area was too cluttered with various boxes and decided to rip everything out (the three boxes) and replace them with one single box that contained everything. This was another two day wait and this time I had to be home as the electrician needed to kill the power to the system. Once installed, everything ran perfectly. During the discussion following the install, Joe mentioned the salt level in the pool was extremely high and as a result, the chlorine generator would “fault out” and not run. He stated I needed to remove about 6000 gallons of water and replace it with fresh water. When I explained it was his folks that added the salt 1 ½ months ago he immediately called and ordered a water truck to make a delivery the next day. All I had to do was pump out 6000 gallons of the water. No problem. Water delivered next day at no charge to me. Salt level is now at the perfect level.

After working with the system for almost a week now, only hiccup was I wanted to install the iAqualink system that I had purchased for this system. Found out the system they installed would need a different control board. Joe went and ordered the correct board and shipped it to me at no cost. Installed today and the system is running perfectly.

Still waiting on Plaster guy to show up. They say he will be here “early next week” (been 1 ½ months already). Now wife has concern the pool might have a water leak in the area of the plaster issue. We’ll see how that goes.

Update: Stevenson Pools is now aware of this review posted online. Doug comes over and we discuss the issues. Well, sort-of. All he wanted was for the review to be removed from online. I mention I know he and the plaster guy are good friends....but he needs to pay attention to detail. Doug's response "I've been trying to get on him about that". I respond with "I'm the one that has to live with it". No comment from Doug. In the end, agreement is, he will give me a credit on my account so my balance will read zero and provide me with a letter or invoice stating as such on Mon. In return, I will remove the review from online. I remove the posting that day (Fri).

Update: Plaster guy shows up….the next day (Sat). Fixes spot in pool. Looks good, and wife says there must have been a water leak as water level has remained the same for 2 weeks now.

Update: Mon I send email reminding them about providing me with a letter or invoice stating my balance is zero. Nothing heard. I call Doug on Wed stating I haven’t heard anything. He stated his GM is on vacation until the following Mon.

Update: Mon I receive email from the GM stating he will check with Doug and get back to me. The following Thur nothing heard, I send email requesting status.

Update: I receive a response on Fri from GM stating he never spoke to Doug, and Doug is now on vacation for a week. He then emails me numerous credit and invoice documents, I owe them $1369.00. They say the $1369.00 is due to the “controller” that needed to be installed to operate the system. This is the same controller that was necessary to operate the system THEY installed…..”at no cost to me”. Further adjustments are made to the invoice….and now they say I owe them $592.64 (for the controller).

So, here I sit….…...don't let this happen to you.

NextJen

Raisin cane
When I first moved into my current home in 2009, the folks I bought from said that Stevenson serviced their pool. The sellers told me that they hadn't opened the pool up in about 2 years...it had set with the cover on it and not been run at all.

We contacted Stevensons to come out and open up the pool for us and my guy said he would just watch what they do and figure it out and he could do it after that. Well, a couple guys came out, pulled the cover off, started up the filter and pumps, threw some chemicals in and said we would be swimming in a week if we kept the filter going and the chemicals dumped in.

Let me tell you, the pool was basically black. It was a swamp. Never having a pool before, we figured that we would keep the filter running and we would see improvement. My guy finally figured out that the filter was getting clogged with the massive amount of sludge that was in the pool. So he would take it out and rinse it and repeat.

Long story short, there was no way on God's green earth that the filter was going to clear the amount of sludge in our pool. The techs should have just advised us to drain the pool and start fresh. That is what we ended up doing. We literally drained it and got into the pool with shovels to scoop out the crud that was in there. We got in there with bleach and brushes and scrubbed the whole thing. Ended up filling it with fresh tanks of water and have been on top of it ever since.

I just can't understand how those guys could have looked at our pool, and the horrible shape it was in, and tell us that we would be swimming in a week by just throwing in some chemicals.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Wow, what a nightmare! I thought we had issues with Anthony & Sylvan while getting our pool installed but your experience was far worse! We've had issues with A&S service as well as Scott's Aquatics. So far, service wise, we've had decent luck with Stevenson. Not great but better than the others. I guess it's industry standard to make the customer do all the follow up when you screw up a pool. So damn irritating!

baxter

Wow, what a nightmare! I thought we had issues with Anthony & Sylvan while getting our pool installed but your experience was far worse! We've had issues with A&S service as well as Scott's Aquatics. So far, service wise, we've had decent luck with Stevenson. Not great but better than the others. I guess it's industry standard to make the customer do all the follow up when you screw up a pool. So damn irritating!

I had the pool company install my in ground pool three years ago, no issues then, and still no issues after three years. EXCELLENT customer service, each day they would inform me what was to be done then next day, and what time they would arrive, always on time,,,,HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

bulldog

I had the pool company install my in ground pool three years ago, no issues then, and still no issues after three years. EXCELLENT customer service, each day they would inform me what was to be done then next day, and what time they would arrive, always on time,,,,HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

^^^This^^^

The Pool Company did ours as well and we could not be happier. Small company and the owner is on the work site every single day. They pay very close attention to detail and had no problems with me being there asking questions about the process and what the individual components of the system did.

Also, about 10K less expensive than the gunite.

anthonysylvan

Hi daylily,

My name is Owen and I'm with Anthony & Sylvan Customer Care. I'm sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your Anthony & Sylvan experience and I'd like to better understand your concerns and try to find a positive resolution.

Please email me, customercare@anthonysylvan.com, with a phone number and best time to reach you. Or if you prefer, I can be reached directly at 1-800-333-0513.

Thank you,

Owen
Anthony & Sylvan Pools
customercare@anthonysylvan.com
1-800-333-0513

harleydude

And the Stevenson Pools saga continues....Recently I called to schedule the spring "opening" that they are supposed to perform (per the contract). Instead of a return call, I receive an email from the General Manager telling me no services will be scheduled as my "account is on hold" and the "account will stay on hold and no services allowed because you re-posted to Angie's list". And, the GM tells me he disagreed with the Owner's and my agreement to credit my account to a zero balance, his position is I still owe ~$250 (the invoice states $592). Soooo....anyone have a number to a "Good" pool company?

pappascw

You and I need to have a beer together.. Wish I had seen this back in June before I signed the contract. Mine played out just like yours did.. BTW I sent you a PM..

I know people who have had problems with all pool companies.. I think its the nature of the business but customer service is key... Communication essential..

SG_Player1974

And the Stevenson Pools saga continues....Recently I called to schedule the spring "opening" that they are supposed to perform (per the contract). Instead of a return call, I receive an email from the General Manager telling me no services will be scheduled as my "account is on hold" and the "account will stay on hold and no services allowed because you re-posted to Angie's list". And, the GM tells me he disagreed with the Owner's and my agreement to credit my account to a zero balance, his position is I still owe ~$250 (the invoice states $592). Soooo....anyone have a number to a "Good" pool company?

This whole saga is just so indicative of the level of "customer service" I have heard of time and time again in this area. I have NEVER lived anywhere in the entire US where there were this many problems with contractors, builders, food service, etc. NEVER!

As for the above.... exactly HOW are they able to withold contracted services because you posted on a website? Also... how exactly does a General Manager go against the OWNER and not credit you? Why is he still employed let alone the GM?

Sounds like you should make a call to the owner and then an attorney. It might not seem like it now but, a bad pool install WILL cost you THOUSANDS of dollars in the future!

Hannibal

How did this issue get resolved? I know this is an old post that has been pumped but now I am intrigued.

I am also very curious about his reference to your angie's list post. I am a new subscriber to Angie's list and have used it for several items and a TON of research. Given the fact that there are many companies carrying very high ratings and reviews, a damning one detailing your account can be quite damaging. It would certainly scare me off of them if in the market for a pool.

That being said, I would bet that Angie's list would love to hear that they are holding your account hostage over your review. I would also think any agreement to remove your review would be contingent upon them honoring their agreement.

As an aside, I'd have a bit of heartburn about his reneg of the "zero balance" agreement you reached with his people. As a businessman, he needs to honor their decision (because you moved forward based upon it) and take up his exception with them - not you.