Drug Testing for Public Assistance?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So, a friend posted on facebook asking folks to sign an on-line petition for "Say No to Drug Testing for Public Assistance".

I can't believe that anybody, ANYBODY, would sign this petition.

So, I pretty much responded back to my friend with that thought.

I think I offended her.

Do I care? No, I think not.

My response: "You have got tobe kidding me? Who thinks NOT testing to receive benefits is a good idea, other than the potheads and tweakers?"

Her response: "xxxx, it's about Constitutional rights, which affects all of us".

Another friend's reponse: "xxxx, I believe assistanc eligibility should not be based on drug testing".

My response: "Receiving welfare is a Constitutional right? Who knew???? It's contridictory that a Constutitional right.....say, gun ownership....has all kinds of restrictions and obstacles in place, but yet receiving welfare - that is not a Constutitional right - is a free-for-all?"

Friend's response: "xxxx, it has to do with personal privacy laws. Both left and right winged parties have been pitting and dividing its citizens far too long. If you do not support the petition, then you do not need to sign it - just know your rights".

Let me be perfectly clear on this: I have absolutely no freakin' problem with welfare receipients being screened for drug usage. No. Problem. At. All.

As a matter of fact, I highly encourage it.

Anyone want to have a lively coversation on this, or at least enlighten me on why it is NOT a good idea to screen welfare receipients?

So, a friend posted on facebook asking folks to sign an on-line petition for "Say No to Drug Testing for Public Assistance".

I can't believe that anybody, ANYBODY, would sign this petition.

So, I pretty much responded back to my friend with that thought.

I think I offended her.

Do I care? No, I think not.

My response: "You have got tobe kidding me? Who thinks NOT testing to receive benefits is a good idea, other than the potheads and tweakers?"

Her response: "xxxx, it's about Constitutional rights, which affects all of us".

Another friend's reponse: "xxxx, I believe assistanc eligibility should not be based on drug testing".

My response: "Receiving welfare is a Constitutional right? Who knew???? It's contridictory that a Constutitional right.....say, gun ownership....has all kinds of restrictions and obstacles in place, but yet receiving welfare - that is not a Constutitional right - is a free-for-all?"

Friend's response: "xxxx, it has to do with personal privacy laws. Both left and right winged parties have been pitting and dividing its citizens far too long. If you do not support the petition, then you do not need to sign it - just know your rights".

Let me be perfectly clear on this: I have absolutely no freakin' problem with welfare receipients being screened for drug usage. No. Problem. At. All.

Anyone want to have a lively coversation on this, or at least enlighten me on why it is NOT a good idea to screen welfare receipients?

I agree with you. If some of my paycheck is going to these people, I want to make sure they arent using it to buy drugs. :yay:

Chris0nllyn

It didn't work in FL.

From July through October in Florida — the four months when testing took place before Judge Scriven’s order — 2.6 percent of the state’s cash assistance applicants failed the drug test, or 108 of 4,086, according to the figures from the state obtained by the group. The most common reason was marijuana use. An additional 40 people canceled the tests without taking them.

Because the Florida law requires that applicants who pass the test be reimbursed for the cost, an average of $30, the cost to the state was $118,140. This is more than would have been paid out in benefits to the people who failed the test, Mr. Newton said.

As a result, the testing cost the government an extra $45,780, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/us/no-savings-found-in-florida-welfare-drug-tests.html?_r=0

Roman

Any person that can afford to buy drugs, does NOT need Welfare. Same with Cigarettes!

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
I agree with you. If some of my paycheck is going to these people, I want to make sure they arent using it to buy drugs. :yay:

Some of my income goes to every single person who has tax deductions (free handouts). Do I get a say in how you live your lives?

ZARA

BG, I agree with you 100%.

They want free money & food, then THEY better prove to ME, the person paying for their free money and food, that THEY are not blowing it on DRUGS.

I have read our Constitution and for some odd reason, I did not see "Welfare" mentioned once. I was unable to find any reference that our taxes were to be used to pay lazy people.

I can understand a person's right to privacy and I fully support that right. But when said person is receiving benefits from the masses that actually earn a living and pay their own bills, I think said person should prove that they are actually worthy of that charity by proving they are not wasting OUR hard earned money smoking it, shooting it, or sniffing it.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Thanks for sharing the article. It was a good read.

Having said that, my belief is that if you* are unwilling to meet certain requirements to obtain a welfare check, then you renounce your ability to get welfare. It's quite simple.

You want this, you must do that.

Of course, my ideal solution is to simply end welfare in all of its' forms right now. That way, no one would have to endanger their Civil Rights and Civil Liberties to participate in a screening program that they believe to be un-Constutional. No Civil Liberties violated, because no welfare exists.

* I mean "you" in the general sense, not "YOU".

... :ohwell: ... Maybe I am biased because my sister is a heroin addict who receives assistance.... and at one point, all the money she came into contact with went into her arm. and I helped pay for it through taxes. ####ing bothers me is all. :coffee:

Chris0nllyn

Thanks for sharing the article. It was a good read.

Having said that, my belief is that if you* are unwilling to meet certain requirements to obtain a welfare check, then you renounce your ability to get welfare. It's quite simple.

You want this, you must do that.

Of course, my ideal solution is to simply end welfare in all of its' forms right now. That way, no one would have to endanger their Civil Rights and Civil Liberties to participate in a screening program that they believe to be un-Constutional. No Civil Liberties violated, because no welfare exists.

* I mean "you" in the general sense, not "YOU".

I'm with you 100%.

But, this whole idea that "we have to drug test", is a bit of a farse. It actually costs more money.

IMO, the biggest thing to get people to get back to work is expiration dates of welfare.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
... :ohwell: ... Maybe I am biased because my sister is a heroin addict who receives assistance.... and at one point, all the money she came into contact with went into her arm. and I helped pay for it through taxes. ####ing bothers me is all. :coffee:

The answer is to end the welfare state.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Conceptually, I'm a strong supporter of drug and alcohol testing for those who wish to receive benefits, but there are some practical factors to be worked out. Individuals would have to be tested on a recurring basis for as long as they receive the benefits, and to do that they would need to get to a facility where such testing is conducted. Existing facilities may not be set up to handle the additional testing workload, and people with little or no income would face quite a challenge getting to the facilities, especially if handicapped. Do you sense additional funding requirements? I think I do. More tax money thrown at the problem, and meanwhile, people will find new loopholes and ways to commit the necessary fraud to duck the system.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm with you 100%.

But, this whole idea that "we have to drug test", is a bit of a farse. It actually costs more money.

IMO, the biggest thing to get people to get back to work is expiration dates of welfare.
:high5:

Amen, Sista! (or "Amen, Brotha!" - depending on your gender)

sockgirl77

I think I offended her.

Tell those bitches to quit using drugs and get off of their asses. Oh and tell them that the state has already began drug testing for cash assitance. :yay:

itsrequired

I agree! I think anyone receiving any public benefits should be drug tested. If they fail, they should be excluded from recieving said benefits.

I think we should start with our public middle school and high schoolers.