Snake-bite victim socked with $55K bill

ZARA

Snake Bite Victim Gets $55K Hospital Bill | NBC4 Washington

A former EMT pulled over along George Washington Parkway for a breath of fresh air was bitten by a copperhead snake -- and then slapped with a $55,000 hospital bill.

Jules Weiss stopped by an overlook for a breather when she felt a strange sensation.

"It felt like a bad bee sting," Weiss said. "I got to my car, turned on the light and there were two fang marks with liquid coming out."

Within an hour, her foot started to balloon, turning a "grayish" color. Weiss made her way to an emergency room in Bethesda, Md. where she stayed for more than 18 hours -- getting three IV bags of anti-venom into her foot.

As if the experience wasn't scarring enough, Weiss received a hospital bill for nearly $55,000.

"I kind of went numb... I don't know if there's a way to process that," Weiss said.

While insurance can bring treatment cost down to a few hundred dollars, Weiss' insurance had just lapsed. Anti-venom is made through a lengthy process of milking many snakes, making treatment pricey. It even reached $780,000 for one woman's cure.

According to officials at the Bethesda hospital Weiss went to, it can cost them $40,000 or more to obtain anti-venom. Many hospitals have financial counselors that can help with payment plans -- contact your social services agency for more information.

Consumers can also submit bill complaints to the Maryland Attorney General's Health Education and Advocacy Unit.

55k?!? OMG!!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Last I checked (two weeks ago) the price for a vial of Crofab was 4 grand PLUS!!!!

Yes... one vial... many time with a snake bite you will end up using 2-6 vials depending on the severity of the bite and the reaction. And you need to take into consideration the ton of blood work that needs to be done like checking their PT/PTT several times to see if they are elevating.

I could see where the bill could be this high. :coffee:

FED_UP

Last I checked (two weeks ago) the price for a vial of Crofab was 4 grand PLUS!!!!

Yes... one vial... many time with a snake bite you will end up using 2-6 vials depending on the severity of the bite and the reaction. And you need to take into consideration the ton of blood work that needs to be done like checking their PT/PTT several times to see if they are elevating.

So with out insurance you would be better off cutting the nearest few viens getting some of the poison out, then you may need 1 bag of anti IV venom, cutting your cost.

nomoney

My dog got bit and we were told if he needed antivenom it was 3500 a pop (this was last year). If needed he would use at least 3 viles.

Luckily he didn't need the venom - I'm glad I didn't have to make the choice.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Shoot, this is an easy one..

Sue the government entities where that piece of the parkway fall under their jurisdiction.. Apparently they aren't doing their jobs keeping us safe and protecting us..

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
My dog got bit and we were told if he needed antivenom it was 3500 a pop (this was last year). If needed he would use at least 3 viles.

yep.... that was Human Crofab...

most places dont carry/make K9 antivenom anymore.

"MOST" snake bites around here are not that bad (copperhead bites)

I saw the WORST copperhead bite ever a few weeks ago.... It was not good at all.

now with Rattlesnake or other venomous snakes I would say due to the toxins and the way they attack the systems you would need antivenom...

(and this is why I may never move to Florida)

MMM_donuts

I'm glad someone is willing to milk a snake because there is not enough money in the world to get me to do it.

And man I sure hope I never have a reason to need antivenom.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I'm glad someone is willing to milk a snake because there is not enough money in the world to get me to do it.

And man I sure hope I never have a reason to need antivenom.

you got dat right!!!! that is one job I will NEVER do!!! :killingme

Sparx

She got off cheap. My brother got nailed by a Pygmy Rattler in FL and then got nailed again with an $80,000 bill. No insurance but the VA picked up almost the entire bill.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
She got off cheap. My brother got nailed by a Pygmy Rattler in FL and then got nailed again with an $80,000 bill. No insurance but the VA picked up almost the entire bill.

see... she should quit her beyotchin...

be happy she is alive... as it could have been worse!!!

daymn... everyone wants something for nothing. (and whos fault was it her insurance lapsed????)

b23hqb

PREMO Member

No choice to make, really. Bury the dog, unless you are rich.

Sounds harsh, but reality has to set in sometime. Especially being posted by "nomoney".

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
A grown healthy adult will survive a copperhead bite without anti-venom.

My dog (80 lbs) survived without it.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
A grown healthy adult will survive a copperhead bite without anti-venom.

My dog (80 lbs) survived without it.

I'll have to agree. I know for a fact many adults have survived pygmy rattlers without venom, and usually no permanent physical damage. I guess it all depends on the size of the copperhead (not a big snake), and its bites are rarely fatal.

Kids and animals need to beware, for sure.