Al Moser: Bottle light inventor proud to be poor

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Alfredo Moser's invention is lighting up the world. In 2002, the Brazilian mechanic had a light-bulb moment and came up with a way of illuminating his house during the day without electricity - using nothing more than plastic bottles filled with water and a tiny bit of bleach.

In the last two years his innovation has spread throughout the world. It is expected to be in one million homes by early next year.

So how does it work? Simple refraction of sunlight, explains Moser, as he fills an empty two-litre plastic bottle.

"Add two capfuls of bleach to protect the water so it doesn't turn green [with algae]. The cleaner the bottle, the better," he adds.

Wrapping his face in a cloth he makes a hole in a roof tile with a drill. Then, from the bottom upwards, he pushes the bottle into the newly-made hole.

"You fix the bottle in with polyester resin. Even when it rains, the roof never leaks - not one drop." "

"Following the Moser method, MyShelter started making the lamps in June 2011. They now train people to create and install the bottles, in order to earn a small income.

In the Philippines, where a quarter of the population lives below the poverty line, and electricity is unusually expensive, the idea has really taken off, with Moser lamps now fitted in 140,000 homes.

The idea has also caught on in about 15 other countries, from India and Bangladesh, to Tanzania, Argentina and Fiji. "

Attachments

• _69254976_change_montage.jpg
    _69254976_change_montage.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 128

MarieB

I just open my curtians during the day for light.

Someone I know was explaining that poorer Brazilians do not have windows because they are too expensive. There only means of light (and fresh air) is an open door

They are being installed all over the world

Liter of Light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MIT students have installed them in the Phillipines
MIT Students Install 10,000 Revolutionary Solar Bottle Lamps in Manila Slums Life-Altering MIT Plastic Bottle Lamp - Gallery Page 0

C

czygvtwkr

Someone I know was explaining that poorer Brazilians do not have windows because they are too expensive. There only means of light (and fresh air) is an open door

They are being installed all over the world

Liter of Light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MIT students have installed them in the Phillipines
MIT Students Install 10,000 Revolutionary Solar Bottle Lamps in Manila Slums Life-Altering MIT Plastic Bottle Lamp - Gallery Page 0

No way, poor here means you dont have....hmmm what don't poor people here have?