U.S. Retail Sales Points to Pickup in Spending

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Retail sales rose in July for a fourth consecutive month, showing American households are regaining momentum as employment climbs.

The 0.2 percent increase in purchases followed a 0.6 percent June gain that was larger than previously reported, Commerce Department figures showed today in Washington. The numbers in the report that feed into gross domestic product climbed by the most this year, prompting some economists to boost growth estimates.

More jobs and rising household wealth tied to higher home values and stock prices are boosting confidence and triggering improving sales at companies such as Michael Kors Holdings Ltd. A pickup in consumer spending, which accounts for about 70 percent of the economy, would help counter the fiscal headwinds of government cutbacks that have held back growth.

“We’re seeing sales pick up in multiple categories -- that’s a promising sign that consumer spending might be a little bit stronger in the third quarter,” said Michael Brown, an economist with Wells Fargo Securities LLC in Charlotte, North Carolina. “We’ve seen wage and salary growth continue to expand with the pace of employment. That’s helped support some additional consumer activity.” Wells Fargo is the top forecaster of retail sales, according to data collected by Bloomberg. "

THANK YOU PRESIDENT OBAMA!

dontknowwhy

President Bush (yes...until we get another REAL president in office, I will still consider this great american leader my President) doesn't spend so frivolously. Especially in these uncertain times when there is a usurper in our White House trying to bankrupt this Country

I bet their frugality is why the Bushes have amassed a small fortune, as opposed to that taking class that wouldn't know how to pinch pennies to save their asses

bcp

In My Opinion
You might want to check the increase in the consumer price index around the same periods, might be interested to see that the price of items went up pretty much the same amount as the increase in spending.

does this mean people are letting go of more money to buy things that they would have held off on a few months ago? no. it simply means that people are buying at close to the same level while spending more.

But however obamass wants to spin it is ok with me.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
TommyJo will be along shortly to set the boy straight in her own unique and inimitable way.:buddies:

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
And on a completely unrelated note, 85 billion a month is still being pumped into the economy.

What the fug is the point OP?