Sheriffs Invade House for no reason

ZARA

protectmd

I am sure there were better ways to go about handling this.

While they might have had an "arrest warrant," the other individuals were held in custody and berated for how many minutes? The individuals who were detained for that lengthy period of time while being yelled at weren't even arrested because they had committed no crimes.

I can tell you that if it was me, either take me to jail or let me go. Don't set up camp in my house going on some sort of tirade attempting to lecture me on law. If I have not committed a crime or I am not suspected of committing a crime then its time for them to release the individual and vacate the premises.

Then of course theres the wonderful language thats spoken the law enforcement officers on the scene.

"I will taze the s**t out of you!" and "I wish I could cane you."
Theres other great ebonics phrases like "I axed you" not "asked."
Then theres the "You set black people back 45 years."

This is the future of American policing.

Ironically, we don't see an outrage from Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. My guess is because by the sound of the video the majority of the cops speaking are black and the family is black. This is.... Black America!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The July 26 incident, which was caught on video and has gotten nearly 600,000 views so far, stemmed from a $1,000 civil arrest order for Hall's mother, Natania Griffin. Hall says that the original amount was paid, but additional fees were added with no explanation. The fee was not paid, which led to a warrant being issued for Griffin's arrest and the subsequent action.

0130 AM - well at least they knocked .... the police dept. could not send a couple of deputies around in the day time .... this was for a CIVIL Case ...

tom88

0130 AM - well at least they knocked .... the police dept. could not send a couple of deputies around in the day time .... this was for a CIVIL Case ...

It is no longer a civil matter when an arrest warrant is issued. It is at that point there is some sort of criminal action.

Chris0nllyn

I presume you watched the video. I think the cops had a reason. More than a reason, they had a warrant. IMO they should of used force to gain entry and arrested everyone who hindered them in the preformance of their duties. This family wasted tax payer dollars and it is obvious this is not their first encounter with law enforcement.

Couldn't it be said that it's a bigger waste of taxpayer money putting all these cops on a $1,000 unpaid ticket case?

tom88

Couldn't it be said that it's a bigger waste of taxpayer money putting all these cops on a $1,000 unpaid ticket case?

I don't manage the police. I expect them to go out and do their jobs and do it with diligence. If someone has broken the law and they deem it necessary to send two or ten cops, that is up to them. I expect they know who they need to send two or ten to and not me who is simply watching a video created by the same people who hindered the police in the preformance of their video.

I assume you went to college and this is psychology 101. Who is the sponsor of the information which is causing you to form your opinion? In this case it is the people who want you to side with them and form the opinion the cops did something wrong.

So do you think the cops had no right to arrest this person or do you simply not like the manner in which they did so?

itsrequired

I don't manage the police. I expect them to go out and do their jobs and do it with diligence. If someone has broken the law and they deem it necessary to send two or ten cops, that is up to them. I expect they know who they need to send two or ten to and not me who is simply watching a video created by the same people who hindered the police in the preformance of their video.

I assume you went to college and this is psychology 101. Who is the sponsor of the information which is causing you to form your opinion? In this case it is the people who want you to side with them and form the opinion the cops did something wrong.

So do you think the cops had no right to arrest this person or do you simply not like the manner in which they did so?

Don't waste your breath. Like the mis-leading headline in this, these folks always assume the cops are wrong.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Update:

DeKalb County sheriff's deputies punished for actions - CBS Atlanta 46

"I will tell you I was very appalled by what I heard. It is not what I expect from my deputies," said Brown. "I have a problem with the lack of leadership shown by the incident commander. I think he needed to be in charge of the situation, I think he needed to understand what he was dealing with."

The investigation resulted in one deputy sheriff sergeant being demoted, if he does not retire as previously planned, and the suspension of three sheriff's deputies.

In addition, Brown implemented new policies and procedures to determine the time of day certain civil warrants will be executed.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

They should send enough cops needed for the situation. A $1,000 fine on unpaid tickets isn't justification to send a handful of cops to someone's house at 1:30 in the morning.

Hindered police? The cops were screaming the wrong address, they called 911 (as directed), and let the cops in. But since they didn't open the door and do as the cops said right away, they get threatend and treated like idiots for doing nothing wrong.

I formed my opinion by the video. I don't think that's how people who are here to "protect and serve" the community should act when they come in contact with civilians....no matter how pissed off they may be.

I guess it's too much ask though.

itsrequired

I assume by "these folks", you mean the Sheriff?

Apparently he thought they were wrong as well.

The sheriff wasn't mis-leading like this post. He said;

"If the police come to your house and need to come in, whether you agree or not that they need to come into the home, you need to open the door," said DeKalb County Sheriff Thomas Brown.

The op was mis-leading. The cops were at the wrong house. I didn't respond to your first idiotic post about this incident because I agree the language the cops used was wrong. You, however seem to have a problem with the cops just doing their job. That's because you are a want a be.

Chris0nllyn

The sheriff wasn't mis-leading like this post. He said;

The op was mis-leading. The cops were at the wrong house. I didn't respond to your first idiotic post about this incident because I agree the language the cops used was wrong. You, however seem to have a problem with the cops just doing their job. That's because you are a want a be.

Of course he said that. :lol:

If you are referring to MY thread, I believe my first post was
If they had just opened the door.......................

Yea, pretty idiotic....

:lol: You know nothing about me.

protectmd

Don't waste your breath. Like the mis-leading headline in this, these folks always assume the cops are wrong.

I don't have to assume that the police are wrong and make mistakes. Its the truth. It happens. They are human and flawed, like the rest of society. They should also be held accountable when they fail to maintain their integrity and professionalism. Unfortunately, when their own agency or through some sort of secret "thin blue line / good ole boy network" thats full of grass eaters and meat eaters prevents the system from policing itself. This is where the judicial branch of government steps in, the federal judges, the state civil courts, the lawsuits come into play. This is why we have this system of checks and balances in place, so when people think this sort of behavior is right, those "cops" can be brought back down to earth again. When their behavior causes their city/state to get sued so much that their budget is slashed and they are jobless and badgeless, its only then that they will understand the consequences and repercussions for their behavior.

The supreme court has ruled that force can be used to effect an arrest that force is "reasonable and necessary." In this case, we have to look at the video and facts presented and decide if the force that was used was reasonable and necessary. The reality is, surrounding a house with 20 armed police officers at the early hours of the morning to serve a civil warrant for an unpaid ticket is not reasonable. Despite the fact that this family may have had prior contacts that have resulted in "ghetto outbursts" resulting in arrests and complaints with various police agencies, the behavior in this incident only gives truth to the complaints for the viewing audiences and supporters of the video makers. The supreme court has ruled that police can detain someone on suspicion of having committed a crime. In this case, the crime being "hindering" or even "harboring a fugitive" may have applied, but the police/sheriffs did not make an arrest of the individuals whom they were not there to serve. Instead, the law enforcement officers that entered that house placed the residents of that house into handcuffs where they were berated and verbally abused for an extended period of time. Threats of violence were launched at the detainee's by the armed deputies. If I was a supreme court judge, I would enter a civil judgement in favor of the family on this one. Police detention for investigational purposes was never designed to be a punishment for not opening your door.

There is many other ways that the sheriffs could have handled this incident. One way would have been to simply call the residence and inform the individual that they had a warrant for their arrest and to turn themselves in at the earliest time possible. Another possibility would have been to suspend the drivers license of the individual, or even send a fake "cruise package" certificate to the individual who has a warrant and entice them to show up to "get their prize."

I understand that law enforcement is a dangerous job and that sometimes cops lose their cool. As a citizen, I can understand if a cop cussed out some dirtbag who was going to shoot the officer with a loaded firearm or yelled at someone who they just had to fight with to get him/her into custody. These individuals in this house were non violent individuals. The biggest problem with cops is when they curse and berate someone like granny or some other citizen because the officer is pissed off. Most citizens would rather have their ticket and keep on moving than to sit there and get cursed at by some angry cop. This is how complaints are generated. These individuals didn't curse at the officers and simply asked questions which resulted in the officers yelling and cursing at them wildly for no reason other than the fact that they wouldn't open the door. To be frank, if nobody had turned on lights in the house, the cops would have been there all night beating on that door. What if the family wasn't home? Would the cops still have surrounded the house and beat on the door repeatedly sitting out front?

If I don't open my door for the cops and they don't have a search warrant im guessing they will break down my door? That aught to be interesting, as you can guarantee that a lawsuit will come out of it. I found it interesting that the lady asked for a captain on the phone and didn't get it. If I was her, I would have asked for the highway patrol or Georgia BCI agent to respond, so they could bear witness to the harsh and ridiculous tactics of the unprofessional agency in that house.

itsrequired

I don't have to assume that the police are wrong and make mistakes.

Of course they do, but they were not at the wrong address here, nor did they say they were at the wrong address. The freaking idiot law breaker said that and morons take that as gospel.

Its the truth. It happens. They are human and flawed, like the rest of society. They should also be held accountable when they fail to maintain their integrity and professionalism.

I agree. They should have never used the language in the manner in which they used the language.

Unfortunately, when their own agency or through some sort of secret "thin blue line / good ole boy network" thats full of grass eaters and meat eaters prevents the system from policing itself.

Nice try, but the sheriff in their agency is disciplining the officers.

The supreme court has ruled that force can be used to effect an arrest that force is "reasonable and necessary." In this case, we have to look at the video and facts presented and decide if the force that was used was reasonable and necessary. The reality is, surrounding a house with 20 armed police officers at the early hours of the morning to serve a civil warrant for an unpaid ticket is not reasonable.

First, why do you want to lie about the number of officers that were present? Is it to make your argument sound better? YOU want to talk about integrity when you don't have the integrity to tell the truth? Second it was a valid arrest warrant. Maybe Georgia is different from Maryland, but when you fail to pay a civil issue such as child abuse, then it becomes a criminal matter of fail to obey the court.

If I was a supreme court judge, :killingme

There is many other ways that the sheriffs could have handled this incident. One way would have been to simply call the residence and inform the individual that they had a warrant for their arrest and to turn themselves in at the earliest time possible. Another possibility would have been to suspend the drivers license of the individual, or even send a fake "cruise package" certificate to the individual who has a warrant and entice them to show up to "get their prize."

I think you should go to Georgia with these great ideas and run for sheriff.

So again I ask, why are you lying about the number of officers that showed up? Why don't you have the integrity to tell the truth?

It's people like you that cherrry pick information about incidents then try to make them something they are not. Yes, the cops did use abusive language and that should not and is not being tolerated. Other than that you are making an awful lot of assumptions as to who these people who the cops were dealing with are. I'll leave it up to those who actually do the job rather than those who sit on the side line and critique to determine what is the best way to do their job. In this case, their job was to lock this woman up! Mission accomplished. :yahoo: