The Beauty Queen and Bottle Rockets

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Wow...felony charges. Now I'm never going to say whether I was dumb enough to do something like this, but I think it's insane the charges are so extreme.

Parents take heed....your kids could be felons.

Miss Riverton resigns title over legal charges | ksl.com
Excerpt

Given the circumstances, I guess you could say, that we’re in right now, I just thought that it would be best for the city of Riverton and all the people affected by our decision and my choice, to just step down and resign from my position and let someone else take it from here,” Gill said.

Gill, 18, was arrested Aug. 2 along with three other 18-year-olds, Bryce Christopher Stone of Riverton, John Patrick Reagh of Draper, and Shanna Marie Smith of Bluffdale and formally charged Friday with four counts of possession of an explosive device, all second-degree felonies.

For Gill, the Riverton pageant and crown was a chance at a scholarship, a stepping stone to college. And she said she worked hard to get there.

“It was just like a lot of my hard work has paid off, and it was just an awesome experience to know that I worked so hard for something and was able to earn that,” she said.

But then a decision on a summer night changed her future.

“It was a silly mistake that we obviously didn't think through what we were about to do and what we did do," she said. "So, yeah, it was a stupid mistake on our part.”

Attorney Wally Bugden said Gill and her friends set out to complete a high school prank, far from the claims of near terrorism or malicious intent. Bugden said it’s a case that should not have a felony attached to it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My money is on all four of them getting royally screwed over Zero Tolerance and mandatory sentencing laws..

Midnightrider

Wow...felony charges. Now I'm never going to say whether I was dumb enough to do something like this, but I think it's insane the charges are so extreme.

Parents take heed....your kids could be felons.

Miss Riverton resigns title over legal charges | ksl.com
Excerpt

Given the circumstances, I guess you could say, that we’re in right now, I just thought that it would be best for the city of Riverton and all the people affected by our decision and my choice, to just step down and resign from my position and let someone else take it from here,” Gill said.

Gill, 18, was arrested Aug. 2 along with three other 18-year-olds, Bryce Christopher Stone of Riverton, John Patrick Reagh of Draper, and Shanna Marie Smith of Bluffdale and formally charged Friday with four counts of possession of an explosive device, all second-degree felonies.

For Gill, the Riverton pageant and crown was a chance at a scholarship, a stepping stone to college. And she said she worked hard to get there.

“It was just like a lot of my hard work has paid off, and it was just an awesome experience to know that I worked so hard for something and was able to earn that,” she said.

But then a decision on a summer night changed her future.

“It was a silly mistake that we obviously didn't think through what we were about to do and what we did do," she said. "So, yeah, it was a stupid mistake on our part.”

Attorney Wally Bugden said Gill and her friends set out to complete a high school prank, far from the claims of near terrorism or malicious intent. Bugden said it’s a case that should not have a felony attached to it.

its not bottle rockets, its chemical bombs in bottles

Most people dont thin much about household chemicals in an IED.. But some of them can be pretty energetic, and from the story, it seems like they were exploding loud enough for people to call 911.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
They weren't throwing them at anybody. I really think the charges are extreme.

I may have grown up knowing kids who threw quarter sticks. :whistle:

This is just stupid to me.

Midnightrider

They weren't throwing them at anybody. I really think the charges are extreme.

I may have grown up knowing kids who threw quarter sticks. :whistle:

This is just stupid to me.

it is stupid, but if the law says it is a felony, i cant think of any reason she, or her friends, shouldn't be charged accordingly. if you do something stupid you should be prepared for the consequences.

BTW, they were obvously throwing them near homes or businesses or people wouldnt have called the police.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
it is stupid, but if the law says it is a felony, i cant think of any reason she, or her friends, shouldn't be charged accordingly. if you do something stupid you should be prepared for the consequences.

BTW, they were obvously throwing them near homes or businesses or people wouldnt have called the police.

Actually, I doubt there is ANY law that states "Throwing Bottles with Drain Cleaner in them" IS a felony.

What makes it a felony is the person arresting them, and the one charging them.. Kind of scary that our definitions are so skewed.. that Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction, but the two home made bombs in Boston were considered WMD.. and these are considered "explosive devices".

Lets totally screw the lives up of four kids for a stupid prank?

Basically it comes down to an individual, not the law, determining what is a bomb, what isn't a bomb...

I would think by today's standards, any guy over the age of 35 or 40 would be considered a felon/ terrorist for the items we built, played with, ignited and blew up.

I've seen kids with felonies for the 2 Liter Pepsi bottle "bombs" only because they wanted to hear the big bang, totally screwed over something stupid.

MadDogMarine

Since when is doing something stupid a felony? Criminal law always(in the past) required an element of intent to do bodily harm or hurt someone. That means there was or easily could have been a VICTIM. If the water bottle was wrapped with nails or other shrapnel is one thing. A plastic water bottle by itself(even with a pressure building chemical) begs of the "intent to do harm". Does shaking up a seltzer bottle also require a felony charge?
Similar charges have been levied against the prank of mentos and diet coke mixtures.

The so called war on terrorism has opened a plethora of subjective laws where intent to do harm is no longer a required element.
It is called "prima facie" laws. Just like speeding, you are guilty regardless of intent. She was charged with "possession of an explosive device, all second-degree felonies. "

It used to be you would be charged with possession of a "destructive device" which includes bombs to show there is intent to destroy something or someone. Those devices had mandatory regulations.
" a destructive device is a type of firearm or explosive device regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934"
The ever expanding and power hungry government wanted to EXPAND this beyond the NFA of 1934 so it was all changed with a NEW term "explosive device"

Here is one legal definition of explosive device:
"Explosive device" means any device designed or specially adapted to cause physical harm to persons or property by means of an explosion, and consisting of an explosive substance or agency and a means to detonate it. "Explosive device" includes without limitation any bomb, any explosive demolition device, any blasting cap or detonator containing an explosive charge, and any pressure vessel that has been knowingly tampered with or arranged so as to explode.

As you can see the distinction between a "bomb"(a destructive device) and a explosive device is now intentionally blurred so the defendant can be charged as necessary. Anyone who owns ammunition is in possession of an explosive device. and can be charged with a felony according to this definition.
Felonies are the new IN thing for prosecutors, especially anti-gun prosecutors who know the ones they convict will never be able to own a gun for the rest of their life. What a sweet run around method for gun control.

Mark my words, the day is coming when anyone caught with a firecracker will be charged with a FELONY. You don't even have to light it.

Silly me! That day is already here:
But the M-250 was a bigger problem.
The thing Blair viewed as a firecracker was, in the eyes of the law, an explosive. Blair was arrested and charged with possession of a destructive device, a felony that carries a possible sentence of up to six years in prison.

At his arraignment the next day Blair pleaded not guilty. The judge scheduled Blair's next pretrial hearing for April 7, and set bail at $300,000, meaning Blair's parents, Jeff and Vicki Blair of Lake Forest, would have to come up with $30,000 to get him out of jail. They didn't have access to so much cash.
Firecracker or explosive? - Life - The Orange County Register

bcp

In My Opinion
Why couldn't they have just smoked some crack then raped someone?
they would have only got a slap on the wrist and let go.

Midnightrider

Actually, I doubt there is ANY law that states "Throwing Bottles with Drain Cleaner in them" IS a felony.

What makes it a felony is the person arresting them, and the one charging them.. Kind of scary that our definitions are so skewed.. that Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction, but the two home made bombs in Boston were considered WMD.. and these are considered "explosive devices".

Lets totally screw the lives up of four kids for a stupid prank?

Basically it comes down to an individual, not the law, determining what is a bomb, what isn't a bomb...

I would think by today's standards, any guy over the age of 35 or 40 would be considered a felon/ terrorist for the items we built, played with, ignited and blew up.

I've seen kids with felonies for the 2 Liter Pepsi bottle "bombs" only because they wanted to hear the big bang, totally screwed over something stupid.

First, There was obviously more than just drain cleaner in the bottle and I am sure the law covers this type of chemical bomb as a felony if that is how she was charged.

Next, they keep describing this as a prank. Who or what was it aimed at? What was the "prank".

There is always more to the story.....

Kendra McKenzie Gill, 18, the reigning Miss Riverton and a contestant in the upcoming Miss Utah pageant, and three other teens allegedly made crude bombs by filling plastic water bottles with water, aluminum foil and household chemicals. They threw the devices at homes, police said.
Nine incidents were reported,
although police say nobody was injured.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/08/utah-beauty-queen-accused-of-throwing-homemade-bombs/