Wounded warriors snubbed at Walter Reed dining

ZARA

Insult to Injury: Wounded warriors snubbed at Walter Reed dining hall | Fox News

Fox News has learned the military earlier this month decided to invalidate meal tickets and reduce hours for the sole dining facility in the Walter Reed building where they are recovering.

..."It makes a lot of people mad that they can't get into their wheelchair and wheel down to the Warrior Cafe," Wetzel said. "Now they have to wheel all the way across base to use their meal cards."

The patients of building 62, many of whom have endured 50 surgeries or more and are expected to spend up to two years recovering at Walter Reed, were told of the decision to end meal tickets at the Cafe in an Aug. 7 text message from their squad leader. The message explained that the changes to the meal tickets will take place on Sept. 3. That message was followed by a heated town hall meeting last week.

protectmd

Thats just awesome.

I guess these are the cuts to "entitlements" that congress was talking about.

Its easy for politicians to declare war and send people off to die in faraway countries but when it comes to taking care of those who have suffered in battle it seems they get the short end of the stick. This is the thanks they get for serving their country.

Maybe someone should fire the commissioned officer that is assigned to ensuring that troops are taken care of, thats my recommendation. Its sad that crackheads in wheelchairs in the DMV are treated better by being given metro access than wounded warriors are treated after they have been injured in battle for their country. Maybe the army should get some metro access on base for those wheelchair bound troops.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Fox News just reported that it has been reversed. I'd post the link but I am on my phone.

ZARA

Fox News just reported that it has been reversed. I'd post the link but I am on my phone.

TY here it is

In about-face, Walter Reed opens dining hall to wounded warriors after Fox News reporting | Fox News
The U.S. military has reversed a string of decisions that would have restricted access for severely wounded troops to a popular dining hall at Walter Reed hospital, after Fox News began reporting on complaints from veterans and their families.

ZARA

I sent that first article to about 2000 people within seconds of my husband telling me about it. He is still pissed off..so much he is working in the basement to burn off his temper.

ZARA

Let him burn off some of the other exasperating issues while he's there.

Oh no...I like my husband as a happy hard worker instead of an angry hard worker. He is dangerous with power tools when he gets angry. He accidentally (maybe?:whistle:) shot me in the foot once with the nail gun. Thankfully it just bounced off the side....

ftcret

Wounded Warrior café is run by the MWR. It is the only food in THAT building, the trailers that are called out is the temporary galley while the galley in the main hospital is being renovated due to open in Sep.
Also located in the main Hospital is a Dunkin Donuts, Subway and a cafeteria style dining facility which is contracted out to a private company. There is food available from the hospital galley just as if you were in the hospital and food got delivered to your room.

I understand the frustration the service members have and I am not making excuses for the idiots who oversee the café operations. I am informing YOU there are other options and it is not the end of the world.

And it isn't a half mile maybe a 2 tenths - a lot if you don't have full use but I hate seeing a NHboy type report containing little or misleading info.

Carry on.

BOP

Wounded Warrior café is run by the MWR. It is the only food in THAT building, the trailers that are called out is the temporary galley while the galley in the main hospital is being renovated due to open in Sep.
Also located in the main Hospital is a Dunkin Donuts, Subway and a cafeteria style dining facility which is contracted out to a private company. There is food available from the hospital galley just as if you were in the hospital and food got delivered to your room.

I understand the frustration the service members have and I am not making excuses for the idiots who oversee the café operations. I am informing YOU there are other options and it is not the end of the world.

And it isn't a half mile maybe a 2 tenths - a lot if you don't have full use but I hate seeing a NHboy type report containing little or misleading info.

Carry on.

Marines We Ripoff is apparently subsidized by the Government. There's no other explanation for their lack of customer care, from gedunk machines to chow halls. Their corporate motto appears to be "we don't give a damn."