Cop took waving as "flicking him off"

Chris0nllyn

EVANSVILLE — Evansville firefighter George Madison Jr. has filed a formal complaint about an Evansville Police Department officer who he said stopped him during a bicycle ride Tuesday afternoon, threatened him with a stun gun and handcuffed him.

Madison 38, who also is youth pastor at Memorial Baptist Church, said the incident occurred about 3:30 p.m. on South Weinbach Avenue after he waved at officers in a patrol car as he was riding his bike.

Madison admitted that he was not going to stop at the intersection but said the officer startled him by making a sudden left turn in front of him.

“He did it real fast,” he said. “I thought it was one of the guys (police) I knew.”

At that point, Madison said he raised his hands to wave.

Madison said he has met many police officers through his job and his participation boxing in the annual Guns-N-Hoses charity fundraiser. But he said he did not know the officers who stopped him.

“The officer jumped out and says, ‘What are you doing throwing your hands up at us?’” Madison said. “He is talking to me as he is coming toward me. I tried to explain, but I couldn’t get a word in edgewise.”

He said the officer’s angry attitude made him feel angry and alone.

“It was like everything had disappeared, and I was there alone and I got scared,” he said.

Madison said he knew Bolin from their community involvements and began to call him on his cellphone hoping to diffuse the situation.

However, the officer told him to put the phone down. Madison said that when he hesitated, the officer grabbed his arm holding the phone, causing Madison to flinch.

Before he knew it, Madison said, the officer had his stun device out.

“It was literally maybe inches from my face,” he said. “I immediately threw my hands in the air. What he asked me to do I was more than willing to do. I said ‘Please don’t hurt me.’ The next thing I know I’m laying down the ground and they cuffed me.”

Madison said the officer asked him his name, date of birth and place of employment.

“Once they found out I was a fireman their attitude changed,” he said.

UPDATE: Firefighter says he waved at police and was handcuffed and threatened | PDF » Evansville Courier & Press

protectmd

The future of America, you waive to the police and they pull out a taser and shove it in your face. I hope this guy sues the snot out of that city if they don't deal with this rogue angry cop. I wonder if Itsrequired can fill us in on the proper procedure using the taser in this case, and if the face is the proper place to point and shoot the taser.

MMM_donuts

My mom was once pulled over after flipping off a cop in Virginia when she was a truck driver. He arrested her, too, but I think that had more to do with her language choices when he was speaking to her. They didn't keep her, though, just let her or charge her with anything, just go after a little while.

Last edited:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Waving While Black

Reaction from around the world to a case of “Waving While Black” where 2 police officers reportedly stopped a fireman for allegedly for flipping the bird. The fireman claims he was just waving.
And, flipping the bird is protected speach. according to the Supreme Court. Here is the photo that has gone viral.
Waving While Black: indiana's Newest Pseudocrime: Black Fireman's Detention For Waving At Cops Goes Global And Viral | Alternative

So much for an Obama post-racial society.