Aid to Egypt

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Washington appeared no closer Sunday to agreeing on whether to cut off U.S. aid to Egypt, raising further questions about which side the United States is taking amid the escalating and deadly political protests in the Middle East country.

The disagreement divides political parties as well as the White House, the House and Senate, roughly five weeks after the Egyptian military overthrew President Mohammed Morsi, an Islamist and member of the Muslim Brotherhood Party.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told “Fox News Sunday” that foreign aid essentially goes to “dictators and despots,” which doesn’t help the United States “win the hearts and minds of the people.”

The U.S. gives Egypt about $1.5 billion annually, second only to the roughly $3 billion given each year to Israel.

Read more: Washington split on Egypt aid, raising more questions on who the US backs | Fox News

Since Egypt hates us and Israel is doing well financially, I see no reason to send money their way. But the bigger issue is what was discussed in another thread - the U.S. being involved to the extent that "choosing sides" in Egypt is a problem.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

I don't think we win the hearts and minds of the people in any country in the middle east that we supply aid to, however everytime we supply them aid, i feel we do lose the hearts and minds of the American tax payers and workers. JMHO

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We have some very close working relationships with the Egyptian military across the spectrum of services and at all levels of the officer corps..bottom to top.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
We have some very close working relationships with the Egyptian military across the spectrum of services and at all levels of the officer corps..bottom to top.

I don't doubt that, but the rest of Egypt appears to be a different story - via our oh-so-thorough-and-accurate media. And with the instability there, I have big concerns about the wisdom of continuing our Foreign Military Sales (FMS) relationship with them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And with the instability there, I have big concerns about the wisdom of continuing our Foreign Military Sales (FMS) relationship with them.

I don't disagree with that....because that is some very capable hardware we provide and it could end up under the control of entirely the wrong crowd.

RPMDAD

And that is exactly the reason we should not be giving any fire power or money to anyone in the middle east except for Israel, and we should get our a$$es out of there and save American military lives. There will never be peace in the middle east, just look at history, why doesn't anybody ever learn that been going on since and before the crusaders.. JMHO

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
And that is exactly the reason we should not be giving any fire power or money to anyone in the middle east except for Israel, and we should get our a$$es out of there and save American military lives. There will never be peace in the middle east, just look at history, why doesn't anybody ever learn that been going on since and before the crusaders.. JMHO

Not even Israel should have a portion of their budget funded by U.S. taxpayers. They need to take care of themselves. This is all a welfare program for the MIC.

The beast must starved. End all foreign aid.

hooknline

still need to follow United States Law and end funding after a dem elected leader is diposed by their Military. what use is law if these politicians just ignore law.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

But, this is America, man! The land of precedent! We already have given stuff to people, therefore, we must always do so.

This isn't about national interest. This isn't about right or wrong. This isn't about what works or what doesn't. This is certainly not about what is best for Egypt.

If we've done something, we keep doing it. Period. Pretty much every single problem we have, either at home or abroad, be it war, economic policy, social policy, healthcare, anything that is a mess and never seems to get fixed is the result of us choosing to KEEP doing what wasn't working.

Because we've already done it.

If we follow the law, call a coup a coup and end funding for them, exactly how long do you think it will be before we simply find another way to keep dong what we were doing, sending them money?

Government becomes VERY efficient when the status quo is at stake.

ZARA

End all foreign aid.

My sentiments exactly. As long as we have people trying to find jobs, barely able to feed their families, having to choose between a gallon of milk or a gallon of gas, schools having to cut enriching programs, teachers relying on parents to make up the difference on needed supplies, thugs running around reaping havoc willy nilly, cops unable to out man by the thugs due to 1. being a thug or 2. being out gunned by the thugs, 3. being out manned by the thugs... etc, our tax monies, our American monies, need to stay home and be used where WE need it to be used.

I am sorry that there are people dying of health issues, lack of food, etc in other countries. But I cannot condone putting their lives above the lives of my country. They got themselves into that fix, let them get themselves get out of it. Yes, I know that is a very narrow view, "Oh the warlords, the evil bastards with guns, this that and the other."

We have the same problems here...How in hell does the gov't expect to "fix" other countries by placing a band-aid on an amputated limb?

Bleh...it's too early for this. (I have mentioned before..I'm a bit xenophobic)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told “Fox News Sunday” that foreign aid essentially goes to “dictators and despots,” which doesn’t help the United States “win the hearts and minds of the people.”

we ain't winning #### ...
... give them bullets, beans and bandages ...

and $ 1000 dollar for each Brotherhood Member Executed ... [quietly ofc]

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
More...with a great pull quote

I have long been fascinated by the spectacle that Barack Obama presents to the world. I do not, it pains me to acknowledge, understand the nature of the spell he exerts over otherwise intelligent and well-meaning people. Where some of my left-leaning friends see a cool-headed pragmatist (“pragmatist” is the accolade of choice for reasons I find puzzling), I see horrifying failure that I have alternately put down to stupefying incompetence, on the one hand, and Alinskyite malevolence, on the other hand. It was a sobering day when I realized that incompetence and malevolence, far from being mutually exclusive, could easily cohabitate and nurture each other.

Roger

Christy

b*tch rocket
Supporting the Egyptian military.

Done.

:yeahthat:

I've said it before, but they are the only stability in Egypt. They are a secular entity and are not hell bent on some crazy ass jihad. They play nice with Israel and keep the Suez Canal open and safe from the crazies.

We should be helping them as much as possible. (Israel already is).