Division of Environmental Health?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Can someone direct me to the SOMD Division of Environmental Health?
Or recommend a local licensed well contractor?
~Thanks!
dee

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Here you go:

Calvert Well Drilling Company
Box 304
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Phone: 410-535-2804
Fax: 410-535-2519

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
WOW that was quick!

Thanks!
We went over to our new house yesterday, and noticed a STRONG odor of sulfur from the cold water tap. Anyone else near Hollywood dealing with this issue? If so, how?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Health department info

St. Mary's County Health Department

Telephone 301-475-4330
TTY Service 301-475-4724
FAX 301-475-4350
Hot Line
Information about office hours, bioterrorism, planning for an emergency and the West Nile Virus. Phone: 301-475-4329

Postal address
21580 Peabody Street, Leonardtown, MD 20650
P. O. Box 316, Leonardtown, MD 20650

web site: www.smchd.org

They have an Environmental Health division that you should talk to about the sulfur smell.

Last edited:

nomoney

Re: WOW that was quick!

Originally posted by happyappygirl
Thanks!
We went over to our new house yesterday, and noticed a STRONG odor of sulfur from the cold water tap. Anyone else near Hollywood dealing with this issue? If so, how?

isn't that just what well water smells like:confused:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Thanks!
Britta water filter.

My old house had that problem until we got a new well, then no more rotten eggs.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Well, we hope to have the problem diagnosed correctly before putting in a new well...we just bought the place....i'd hate to think we need to start with a new well right off the bat. <Geesh>:mad:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Cost questions

Anyone have any idea how much a shock chlorination or acid treatment would cost? ~approximation is fine~:confused:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'

Thanks!

It's possible there's something wrong with your water heater. My parents used to have change out some thingamajig once a month because it had magnesium on it... and after awhile the magnesium would react with some of the other minerals in the water and cause a sulfuric smell.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Re: Cost questions

Anyone have any idea how much a shock chlorination or acid treatment would cost? ~approximation is fine~:confused:
You can do it yourself for the cost of a gallon of bleach. Seriously, we had to have ours done right after our house was built. He poured a gallon of Clorox in the well, ran all the taps in the house until they smelled of bleach and told us to let it sit 48 hours, then run the hose for several hours to flush the bleach out.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: WOW that was quick!

Originally posted by nomoney
isn't that just what well water smells like:confused:

It only smells like that if something is contaminating the water. Depending on the level of contamination, it may still be safe to use, even with the smell. Or it may not.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Cost questions

Originally posted by Dymphna
You can do it yourself for the cost of a gallon of bleach. Seriously, we had to have ours done right after our house was built. He poured a gallon of Clorox in the well, ran all the taps in the house until they smelled of bleach and told us to let it sit 48 hours, then run the hose for several hours to flush the bleach out.

:yeahthat: We did that every couple of years at our old house. It's exactly what the well companies do anyway, so why pay them to do something you can do yourself?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The water has been tested and is fine. The folks there don't even notice the smell! ICK! The well is only 10 years old, so hopefully it's not that bad. But only ONE gallon of bleach for the whole system doesn't seem like it would be enough.... :confused:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Re: Re: Re: Cost questions

Originally posted by jazz lady
:yeahthat: We did that every couple of years at our old house. It's exactly what the well companies do anyway, so why pay them to do something you can do yourself?
Ain't that the truth. I never would've paid for it, it was a brand-new well and they were obligated to get it passed the health dept. inspection. Every house in the neighborhood had to be done, I think.

I've got a friend who puts about a cup of bleach in his well once a month or two months. He was raised on city water though and figures there's something wrong if the water doesn't smell like chlorine. Doing that too much can damage your septic system though.

Vince

If this is a new well for a new home they normally let the water run for a couple of days after the well is put in. Yes, a new well will have the sulfur smell. When I had mine dug they did the same thing, they let the water run for a few days. The only time I smell sulfur now is from my garden hose and that's only if the water sits in the hose a few days. After I run the hose for awhile it goes away. Your well water should be tested and has to be within certain standards. Hopefully they put your well deeper than 200 ft.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Vince
If this is a new well for a new home they normally let the water run for a couple of days after the well is put in. Yes, a new well will have the sulfur smell. When I had mine dug they did the same thing, they let the water run for a few days. The only time I smell sulfur now is from my garden hose and that's only if the water sits in the hose a few days. After I run the hose for awhile it goes away. Your well water should be tested and has to be within certain standards. Hopefully they put your well deeper than 200 ft.
Thanks for that useless bit of information.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by kwillia
That's easy to explain, when you turn on the hot water faucet, the well pump has to pull the hot water from the deeper part of the artisan well that is closer to the core of the earth where the water is always hot. There is more sulfur and such at the core (hence the extreme heat) and this results in the hot water from the artisan well smelling different than the cold water from the same artisan well. :yay:
:bs: This might be the case if she had a geothermal system but I highly doubt that in this region. The problem here is the build up of mineral deposits within the hot water heater.

In an artesian well the water is trapped under great pressure between layers of rock. When the well is drilled, the pressure forces the water up through the hole. There is no pumping of "hot" water from the same well that provides "cold" water.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ken King
:bs: This might be the case if she had a geothermal system but I highly doubt that in this region. The problem here is the build up of mineral deposits within the hot water heater.

In an artesian well the water is trapped under great pressure between layers of rock. When the well is drilled, the pressure forces the water up through the hole. There is no pumping of "hot" water from the same well that provides "cold" water.

Pssst...kwillia was pulling appy's leg.