The Day After Tommorrow

lucaswebco

I get up this morning and turn on the news. And what do I see. Politicians and Pundits fighting it out about Global Warming because a movie about it is coming out on Friday.

The movie, The Day After Tommorrow, is a sci-fi movie. A fictional end of the world as we know it movie. But these people are treating it as if it could happen tommorrow. Slow news day. Great promo for the movie. I don't know.

I will say that I'll see the movie for what it truly is. Entertainment and a good excuse for lots of popcorn. Maybe these guys should not ruin a fun afternoon and go have some fun.

Toxick

Splat
I love disaster movies...

Originally posted by lucaswebco
[BI will say that I'll see the movie for what it truly is. Entertainment and a good excuse for lots of popcorn. Maybe these guys should not ruin a fun afternoon and go have some fun. [/B]

Here here.

I want to go see it, even though I think that Global Warming (as it is presented) is alarmist nonsense.

Disaster movies are GREAT.

In almost all of them LA or New York or Washington DC are completely destroyed. The visual almost makes me giddy.

B

Bruzilla

I heard on the news last night that Al Gore and other Democrats are already telling people that this flick shows what could happen if George Bush gets re-elected.

I wonder if they will also be warning people about the alien invasions and attacks by huge mutant lizards that could happen since these same folks made Independence Day and Godzilla.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by Bruzilla
I heard on the news last night that Al Gore and other Democrats are already telling people that this flick shows what could happen if George Bush gets re-elected.

I wonder if they will also be warning people about the alien invasions and attacks by huge mutant lizards that could happen since these same folks made Independence Day and Godzilla.
TFF. So basically they're telling us: Choose between solving a problem that actually exists, or try to prevent this storm (caused by global warming) that will wipe us off the face of the earth. If this could go down tomorrow, wouldn't it be too late? :confused: It's my understanding that global warming is irreversible. We can't exactly duct tape the ozone layer :rolleyes:. Sure it's a problem, but I'm more concerned with being attacked by terrorists than getting rained on.

SamSpade

Originally posted by Nickel

If this could go down tomorrow, wouldn't it be too late? :confused:

Well that's just it - it's not gonna happen. Some of the science is just totally fiction.

For example, they have bowling ball sized hail dropping on Japan. Can't happen - hail storms cannot make hail that big. Another has the temperatures dropping to almost 200 below in less than a minute, flash freezing people. The explanation being, air from high up in the atmosphere gets brought down quickly, and it's much colder up there. True. But the air is also *compressed*. Result? *HEAT*, not cold.

On and on. It's silly. Now my buddies and me had one hell of a laugh over "Armageddon" and all the violations of physics that went on there (and these were guys who *NORMALLY* say, oh get over it, it's just a movie). We're gonna DIE laughing at this one.

It's my understanding that global warming is irreversible.

Nope. Happens all the time. And global warming doesn't really have much to do with ozone depletion (which also can be reversible - the earth replenishes it).

That doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of the planet. But the conclusions of global warming experts are unconvincing at best, and ridiculous at worst. Worse, treaties have been proposed that would do NOTHING to lower greenhouse gases planetwide - only curtail the amounts that developed nations get to make.

We can't exactly duct tape the ozone layer :rolleyes:. Sure it's a problem, but I'm more concerned with being attacked by terrorists than getting rained on.

Well, amen. I agree. Let's hope this thing is as silly as "The Core" was.

At least with "The Day After" there was an outside chance of nuclear war in the '80's. This scenario is about as *probable* as an alien invasion, or Godzilla.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by SamSpade

Well, amen. I agree. Let's hope this thing is as silly as "The Core" was.

The space shuttle landing in that movie was jaw-dropping :yikes: Totally kicked azz...

Warron

I read an article the other day about the rapid melting of the ice caps currently going on. Its estimated that at the current rate, the north sea shipping route that is currently only clear of ice for 20 days a year will be clear for 100 days by 2050.

Of course nothing offered is proof that man is the cause for this change, since climate changes occur naturally, but its interesting nevertheless.

Actually, here it is.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/05/25/global.heat.reut/index.html

C

czygvtwkr

Saw a show on discovery once that said a global warming triggers an ice age due to the shift in ocean currents caused by the melting of icebergs in the north atlantic.

I really dont think these people know what is going on, its so darn complicated how weather and climate works.

dustin

UAIOE
Humans have always tried to make up answers for things they don't understand. We don't like being left in the dark and we don't like to go through life without having an answer for everything.

I admit I am not one that free-balls life. I like to have some control over my own destiny. It's the unknown that scares us. The things we can't control. Then things that make up life!

I'm gonna go see this movie and I'll be talking about how cool all the affects were and how that one dude died really crazylike....

But when I wake up the next day all I'm worried about is when I'm gonna get off work that week so I can see my girl.

Stop and breath the air people.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
Saw a show on discovery once that said a global warming triggers an ice age due to the shift in ocean currents caused by the melting of icebergs in the north atlantic.

Well, I'm no meteorologist, but something about that strikes me as funky.

Okay - let's say that global warming does trigger an ice age due to the melting of the icebergs. Wouldn't an ice age- by its very nature - instantly negate the effects of global warming, and end itself before it could properly begin?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Toxick
Well, I'm no meteorologist, but something about that strikes me as funky.

Okay - let's say that global warming does trigger an ice age due to the melting of the icebergs. Wouldn't an ice age- by its very nature - instantly negate the effects of global warming, and end itself before it could properly begin?

In an ice age, the whole globe is not covered by ice. All it means is that the ice that currently sits atop the poles may expand or contract or shift into areas that previously did not have that climate before.

In the last ice age, North America was only covered with ice down to about the Kentucky state line. The rest of the Americas, if I remember right, were quite warm.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Hey, I didn't know this!

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/04/r_style_source052804.htm

Day After Tomorrow: With almost "Passion"-like fervor, I know that a lot of enviros closing shop and going, en masse, to see The Day After Tomorrow this afternoon. Any thoughts?

Richard Leiby: The movie is total bunk on a scientific level. It's based on a book written by two non-scientists (Art Bell and Whitley Streiber) who are active alien and UFO theorists. Streiber says he was abducted by aliens.

...and gave him a proctology exam using a probe about the diameter of a softball.

lucaswebco

Ice Ages are really caused by big rocks falling out of the sky. Extinctions too. Just hope, we have Bruce Willis around to save us when it happens again.

Really big volcanos can do the same thing too. Its all about blocking the sunlight. :biggrin:

C

czygvtwkr

Ice age doesn't necessarly mean ice, just a cooler than average climate for several thousand years.

The ocean currents are the key to this theory.

Its very much like an el Nino, to me it makes just as much sense as many of the other BS theories.