When do adults forget how to play?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The excuse is "Oh, I'm just so busy..."

No, you're not. You spend hours sitting on the computer or in front of the TV every day. It takes about an hour to hit a bucket of golf balls, three hours to actually play a round. You could take two hours a week to paddle a kayak or shoot some hoops with pals. Ride a bike. Invite people over for drinks or game night.

So you're not "too busy", you just don't want to. Why is that? And when does it start? Do you just get out of the habit once you have kids and never get back in? I probably played more when my kids were young because we always had kick soccer going on in the front yard, building something, going skiing, rollerblading, or whatever it took to entertain them.

That slowed way down when I got married because my priorities changed and now I'm making a conscious effort to do something fun for play every day, even if it's just ride my bike around the 'hood.

It's like the people who say they "can't" come out to Friday Heathen Night: too far to drive, too busy, blah blah blah. Sometimes that will be true, but it cannot possibly be true EVERY Friday evening. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to. And that's fine if the company isn't to your liking, but if it's a group of people you may be interested in, why wouldn't you come have dinner and hang out?

That's only one example. There are a million others when adults just forgot how to have fun or have lost their motivation to do so.

So! What have you done for fun so far this week, including last weekend?
Fun just for you, can involve other people or doesn't have to. Running children to assorted activities doesn't count and neither does sitting at the computer or game console - you have to have actually moved your ass off the couch.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh, and since I took up golf I've lost count of the number of women who've said to me, "I always wanted to do that!" So what's the problem? Let's go! And they reply, "Oh, I don't have time...." Yes, you do. "I don't have clubs..." You can use mine and we'll share. "I don't know how to do it..." That's what learning is for.

Stop saying you WANT to do something, and just go freaking DO it.

JeJeTe

Happiness
I think a lot of people are so devoted to their kids and their activities that they forget they are supposed to have a life too.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I do this way too much, then complain that I never have any fun. I don't know why thinking it and doing it are so far apart. I had a lot of fun in my teens/twenties and usually did so without thinking about it. But I also drank way more back then. :whistle:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
So! What have you done for fun so far this week, including last weekend? Fun just for you, can involve other people or doesn't have to. Running children to assorted activities doesn't count and neither does sitting at the computer or game console - you have to have actually moved your ass off the couch.

I fixed up an old bicycle and took it for a ride Saturday. I like seeing how long I can peddle with my eyes closed. I'm up to 20 Mississippi’s before I get scared and open them....or crash.

I also wrote a song.

:singer:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think you have to realize that your idea of fun may not be the same as others' idea of fun. :shrug:

I took my husband to sit outside in the rain and watch a play and eat food and drink wine. We gave up early and went home and sat on the porch and drink wine and smoked cigars and let our dogs wander around on the porch with us. That was fun.

We watched a couple of movies. That was fun.

I read a book. Actually, since Friday, I've read several books. That was fun.

I've cooked my husband meals and prepped his lunch for the week and that was fun.

My husband made me a sandwich and that was fun (and remarkable).

I crocheted and that was fun.

I napped and that was more than fun.

I have plans to do some sewing this week and that will be fun.

We have plans to go to the comic book store and that is always fun.

We have our very own putting green in the yard (my husband made that), so we can go hit balls any time we want. I agree that's fun.

But, my idea of fun is boring you to tears and your idea of fun makes me anxious.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, I suppose fiddling with making a jogging stroller into a bike trailer for my kayak, or designing a fermentation chamber for homebrew counts? Hope so. Plan to kayak this weekend. Since my time playing a video game doesn't count, I hope those others do. Playing ball with the dog?

I do agree, playing is crucial to happiness. But play being different for different people, thats important to note too.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I think a lot of people are so devoted to their kids and their activities that they forget they are supposed to have a life too.

:yeathat:

And I think it is a far better service to your child and a better example to have your own activities as well. You will be happier, and they have a good example for work /life balance to look up to. Not to mention its good sometimes for kids to see they are NOT the center of the universe and end all be all. :killingme

bcp

In My Opinion
It's like the people who say they "can't" come out to Friday Heathen Night: too far to drive, too busy, blah blah blah. Sometimes that will be true, but it cannot possibly be true EVERY Friday evening. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to. And that's fine if the company isn't to your liking, but if it's a group of people you may be interested in, why wouldn't you come have dinner and hang out?
We would love to be able to show up every Friday, however, with panlady working in Bethesda, she has to take off a few hours early to fight the Friday traffic (should be much less after this weekend) around the beltway and down rt 50, then its usually a drive down 2/4 with that traffic to get there.
if she leaves work at 2:30, she is pretty much on the road non stop until we show up at the get together around 5:30 or 6.

For the next couple weeks Im working till 5 on fridays, so by the time I get home, then down to Southern Md, it would be closer to 7 before getting there.

Some Fridays are good, some are not.

as far as having them up this way, its nice, but the reality is that it does not make much sense for 10 people to drive for over an hour in traffic to make it so the 1 person only has to drive 15 minutes.

When we dont show up, we are not snubbing anyone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But, my idea of fun is boring you to tears and your idea of fun makes me anxious.

People have different ideas of what they consider "fun". But, a distinction: while packing your husband's lunch and reading may be enjoyable and pleasurable, I'm not sure they fall in the category of "fun". You are not a person who likes to have fun, but you also don't sit around moaning about it and saying you want to do things that you have no intention of actually doing.

Want to buy a boat?

THIS is the #### I'm talking about. ^^^^ This RIGHT HERE. ^^^

Well, I suppose fiddling with making a jogging stroller into a bike trailer for my kayak, or designing a fermentation chamber for homebrew counts?
Those absolutely count :yay:

Hobbies. Activities. Whatever they are. Packing lunches is not a hobby.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
People have different ideas of what they consider "fun". But, a distinction: while packing your husband's lunch and reading may be enjoyable and pleasurable, I'm not sure they fall in the category of "fun". You are not a person who likes to have fun, but you also don't sit around moaning about it and saying you want to do things that you have no intention of actually doing.

THIS is the #### I'm talking about. ^^^^ This RIGHT HERE. ^^^

Those absolutely count :yay:

Hobbies. Activities. Whatever they are. Packing lunches is not a hobby.

:eyebrow: You haven't had a lunch I've packed.

Yes, indeed it is a hobby. And it's fun. I've even been approached by his co-workers who have said how envious they are of his lunches and how they approach him each day to see what was packed. :dance:

Reading and cooking are always listed in hobbies and interests categories.

And again, just because you don't like my idea of fun, doesn't mean I don't like to have fun. I like to have my version of fun. Not your version of fun.

No need to insult me.

JeJeTe

Happiness
Organizing my often busy life is fun for me. I enjoy getting things straight and feeling like I have my life together. Because when my life is together and something fun does come up, then I have the ability to go do it instead of sitting home doing laundry.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Make time for yourselves people! Who wants to be on their death bed saying I wish I had....? Hell, I'm pushing 50 and party harder than some 20-30 yr olds. Tomorrow we're going to the Nats game to watch The Red Rocker (Sammy Hagar) post game show.