Luke 47-53 Jesus Arrested

hotcoffee

Jesus Arrested

Luke 22:47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”

49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

52 Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders, who had come for him, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs? 53 Every day I was with you in the temple courts, and you did not lay a hand on me. But this is your hour—when darkness reigns.”​

Luke tells the arrest from the doctors point of view. Of course there's a healing that Matthew and Mark didn't mention.

Remember when they were in the upper room, Jesus told them to buy a sword if they didn't have one. They had two. One of the disciples had a sword with him. He used it to cut off one of the men's ears.

Look at this.... Jesus healed the man... while being arrested... he healed the man's ear. How cool is that? My Sunday School kids loved this story. They let their imagination take over and they saw this.... it's like it played out in front of them.

Jesus says "this is your hour - when darkness reigns." I've hear a lot of preachers say a lot of things about that sentence. I think He's pointing out that they couldn't arrest Him in the Temple because the people would have revolted. He's pointing out that He is being arrested at night, in the garden, during prayer.

:coffee:

I'm going away for the weekend. I'm not sure if I'll be able to post... I assume so because my daughter and I talk on the computer all the time... but there will be two little ones so I may be delightfully busy.... If I don't get to the computer, I'll see you all Tuesday Morning... Please pray that my travel goes well.... TIA

stargazer25

I so enjoy reading your posts daily. They are so inspirational. Enjoy time with the little ones & praying for safe travel.

Zguy28

Matthew Henry's Commentary
How he reconciles himself to their proceedings; and this we had not before: “But this is your hour, and the power of darkness. How hard soever it may seem that I should be thus exposed, I submit, for so it is determined. This is the hour allowed you to have your will against me. There is an hour appointed me to reckon for it. Now the power of darkness, Satan, the ruler of the darkness of this world, is permitted to do his worst, to bruise the heel of the seed of the woman, and I resolve to acquiesce; let him do his worst. The Lord shall laugh at him, for he sees that his day, his hour, is coming.” Psa_37:13. Let this quiet us under the prevalency of the church's enemies; let it quiet us in a dying hour, that, (1.) It is but an hour that is permitted for the triumph of our adversary, a short time, a limited time. (2.) It is their hour, which is appointed them, and in which they are permitted to try their strength, that omnipotence may be the more glorified in their fall. (3.) It is the power of darkness that rides master, and darkness must give way to light, and the power of darkness be made to truckle to the prince of light. Christ was willing to wait for his triumphs till his warfare was accomplished, and we must be so too.

hotcoffee

Matthew Henry's Commentary
How he reconciles himself to their proceedings; and this we had not before: “But this is your hour, and the power of darkness. How hard soever it may seem that I should be thus exposed, I submit, for so it is determined. This is the hour allowed you to have your will against me. There is an hour appointed me to reckon for it. Now the power of darkness, Satan, the ruler of the darkness of this world, is permitted to do his worst, to bruise the heel of the seed of the woman, and I resolve to acquiesce; let him do his worst. The Lord shall laugh at him, for he sees that his day, his hour, is coming.” Psa_37:13. Let this quiet us under the prevalency of the church's enemies; let it quiet us in a dying hour, that, (1.) It is but an hour that is permitted for the triumph of our adversary, a short time, a limited time. (2.) It is their hour, which is appointed them, and in which they are permitted to try their strength, that omnipotence may be the more glorified in their fall. (3.) It is the power of darkness that rides master, and darkness must give way to light, and the power of darkness be made to truckle to the prince of light. Christ was willing to wait for his triumphs till his warfare was accomplished, and we must be so too.

Does this boil down to .... this is the time when Jesus stood up to the Bully?

Cause that's what it means to me.....

Jesus was kind to the kids who came to get Him for this confrontation. He knew they weren't the ones who wanted a chance to have a final showdown. He knew this was the time when the bell was chiming and it was time to take on those little creeps who stood around bullying anyone who dared to cross their path.

Zguy28

Does this boil down to .... this is the time when Jesus stood up to the Bully?

Cause that's what it means to me.....

Jesus was kind to the kids who came to get Him for this confrontation. He knew they weren't the ones who wanted a chance to have a final showdown. He knew this was the time when the bell was chiming and it was time to take on those little creeps who stood around bullying anyone who dared to cross their path.

This is the time when Jesus was saying "you think you have won. How wrong you are. But keep believing because you are playing your part right according to God's plan.Enjoy it while it lasts."