2 hurt when horse-drawn buggy, motorcycles crash

sockgirl77

I was stuck in that mess yesterday. I waited in traffic for 35 minutes before I got turned around because they decided that they could not open up a lane until after they "disposed" of the horse. :ohwell:

I was waiting for Danzig to put it up before I posted it in here. I get bitched at for promoting BayNet. I should have just posted it so that people could know about it. It wasn't on NewsNet last night before I went to sleep, but I see that it's up today. I guess he got the press release this morning when WTOP got theirs.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I was stuck in that mess yesterday. I waited in traffic for 35 minutes before I got turned around because they decided that they could not open up a lane until after they "disposed" of the horse. :ohwell:

I was waiting for Danzig to put it up before I posted it in here. I get bitched at for promoting BayNet. I should have just posted it so that people could know about it. It wasn't on NewsNet last night before I went to sleep, but I see that it's up today. I guess he got the press release this morning when WTOP got theirs.

I feel awful for all involved. Just proves how hard it is to see motorcycles. I know of several motorcyclists who have died, or had severe injuries from people making turns in front of them that didn't see them coming.

sockgirl77

They were doing accident reconstruction. Letting you drive over a crime scene can destroy evidence.

I know. I was not complaining. It's not the first time that I have been stuck in traffic on the way home. I swear there's an accident in New Market once a week. :lol:

luvmygdaughters

Rt. 6 was open when I came thru. I could see one motorcycle in the eastbound ditch. Terrible, I cant believe the woman operating the buggy couldnt have heard those bikes. Maybe hearing impaired. T & P to all involved.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The motorcycle had an American flag flying and has a loud motor. :shrug:

Loud pipes do NOT save lives :shrug:
They just annoy the crap out of the people around them.

Extra lights, headlight modulators and wearing bright colors will help other drivers to see you and advanced training will help when they don't.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I cant believe the woman operating the buggy couldnt have heard those bikes. Maybe hearing impaired.

Ever notice that exhaust pipes point towards the back of the bike?
Unless the bikes were going backwards the engine noise was being projected away from the buggy

sockgirl77

Loud pipes do NOT save lives :shrug:
They just annoy the crap out of the people around them.

Extra lights, headlight modulators and wearing bright colors will help other drivers to see you and advanced training will help when they don't.

Okay. Let's just put lights and sirens on bikes. :yay:

sockgirl77

Ever notice that exhaust pipes point towards the back of the bike?
Unless the bikes were going backwards the engine noise was being projected away from the buggy

There were 2 ####ing bikes. I've yet to hear a quiet HD. Buggies are not soundproof. Seriously Aps?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I'm thinking 'cow catcher' for this incident. Harley sells one. Chrome is $739,521.08 and matte black is $3

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There were 2 ####ing bikes. I've yet to hear a quiet HD. Buggies are not soundproof. Seriously Aps?

Most likely what happened is buggy operating was anxious to get across, glanced over their shoulder to see if anyone was coming but, not far enough, the bikes didn't register, supporting Aps 'flashy shiny' contention or, they saw but, brain locked and just went.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The motorcycle had an American flag flying and has a loud motor. :shrug:

Here are the pics UPDATE: Motorcycle, and horse and buggy collide - Southern Maryland News. :frown:

From a hundred feet, or even several hundred feet how big does a motorcycle look? I'm sorry, but it's not hard to miss seeing a motorcycle. Especially considering a buggy doesn't move fast during a turn either, compared to how many feet per second a motorcycle can go. So the motorcycle could have been so small and missed at the distance it was when the buggy driver looked.

I generally will follow behind the motorcycles just in case they go down. Many people don't leave enough distance between vehicles, but I do, so I figure the cycle is safer in front of me. I had one go down in front of me on Rt 5 in the dark one morning heading toward DC (just starting to rain). If I had not been behind him, and reacted so quickly, chances are another driver would have run over him (traffic was heavy and moving fast). I hit my brakes and got my flashers on fast, then called 911 once I came to a stop. Several other drivers also stopped after I did to block the road around the downed rider. Had my SUV been hit by someone not paying attention, that would have been better than the guy being run over.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
From a hundred feet, or even several hundred feet how big does a motorcycle look? I'm sorry, but it's not hard to miss seeing a motorcycle. .

Yup.

People look right through us all the time.

Human sight is predator vision and, as such, primarily detects motion and is why we get 'tunnel vision' and can look right at something and not see it.

And that is why 'loud pipes' ain't near as good as shiny, sparkly, blinky, flashing things for bike safety. I refuse to look like a freaking Disco ball so, I move around a lot. I stretch my arms, legs, swerve, lane change, will flash my hi beams if I think someone who is trying to kill me may see an opportunity, just try and be 'motion' visible.

These guys were probably just cruising along, nice and steady as she goes and a virtual black hole to a quick glance, as you suggest.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...another driver would have run over him (traffic was heavy and moving fast). I hit my brakes and got my flashers on fast, then called 911 once I came to a stop. Several other drivers also stopped after I did to block the road around the downed rider. Had my SUV been hit by someone not paying attention, that would have been better than the guy being run over.

For all riders, THANK YOU!

:buddies: