Over-the-Counter Antibiotics for Cats?

Restless

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere to get antibiotics without a prescription for our cat. Clavamox comes to mind as one I have used in the past. I know our one cat seems to have a UTI as her urine smell is much stronger than usual. The Well Pet Clinic is closed tomorrow, and booked up on Saturday morning. That is where we usually go.

I was thinking maybe the Amish place in Loveville might have it.

Thanks!

rabbithead

Any antibiotic you get over the counter will not be effective for a feline UTI and could possibly do more harm than good. A strong urine smell is not the only sign of a UTI. Frequent urination, blood in the urine, straining to urinate are also signs.

My suggestion would be to take the cat in to another vet if you are concerned. Better safe than sorry as a UTI can progress to a bladder or kidney infection. Please be sure your cat is drinking enough water and try less dry food and more canned food.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
You will NEVER find clavamox over the counter...
I suggest you get to another vet before things go from bad to worse. ... and then the only option you have is going to an ER Vet

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Any antibiotic you get over the counter will not be effective for a feline UTI and could possibly do more harm than good. A strong urine smell is not the only sign of a UTI. Frequent urination, blood in the urine, straining to urinate are also signs.

My suggestion would be to take the cat in to another vet if you are concerned. Better safe than sorry as a UTI can progress to a bladder or kidney infection. Please be sure your cat is drinking enough water and try less dry food and more canned food.

I agree, see another vet. One of our foster cats had a UTI and we were not told by the prior owner. The cat hid from us for the better part of a week and when found it was too late for antibiotics and we didn't have $3k to pay for the surgery to unblock the UT. Sadly Jazz was put down. So by all means get it checked by a vet. There is one called White Plains Animal Hospital and they usually have space for last minute cases.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The best anti-anything for cats is to just not have any. A good .177 pellet gun or .22 rifle works very well.

Cats are useless. Completely useless. Like squirrels in the bird feeder. They are nothing but a destructive force that shreds anything/everything within their claws grasp, and expecting nothing but love and attention in return.

If you want to be a permanent servant to a cat, go for it. Enjoy your expenditures and cat litter-covered paws walking and treading on your face and mouth.

Sincerely,

b23hqb:buddies:

frequentflier

happy to be living
The best anti-anything for cats is to just not have any. A good .177 pellet gun or .22 rifle works very well.

Cats are useless. Completely useless. Like squirrels in the bird feeder. They are nothing but a destructive force that shreds anything/everything within their claws grasp, and expecting nothing but love and attention in return.

If you want to be a permanent servant to a cat, go for it. Enjoy your expenditures and cat litter-covered paws walking and treading on your face and mouth.

Sincerely,

Stay out of the cat threads, a-hole.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Stay out of the cat threads, a-hole.

No way.

We have one cat in our house, and even the wife, who is a cat lover, says after this one, no more (35 consecutive years with at least one cat in the house).

All this cat has done, along with the previous four cats that met their demise naturally or at the wheels of cars or at least :yahoo:one coyote, during the last of their how many ever lives, is add to the thousands upon thousands of $ damage to the house.

Carpets all removed, staircase finally replaced because of cat piss, even though they had the free run of outside and litter boxes.

Cats are worthless. May their cat dung and urine-laced, litter box induced paws continue to massage your face.

:yahoo:

ZARA

No way.

We have one cat in our house, and even the wife, who is a cat lover, says after this one, no more (35 consecutive years with at least one cat in the house).

All this cat has done, along with the previous four cats that met their demise naturally or at the wheels of cars or at least :yahoo:one coyote, during the last of their how many ever lives, is add to the thousands upon thousands of $ damage to the house.

Carpets all removed, staircase finally replaced because of cat piss, even though they had the free run of outside and litter boxes.

Cats are worthless. May their cat dung and urine-laced, litter box induced paws continue to massage your face.

WR DONT READ THIS

I'm sure the area around your toilet isn't much better. Or walls... Go in your bathroom with a black light sometime and see the splatter men leave behind...

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
No way.

:lmao:

I agree; 22 short

Radiant1

Soul Probe

Sincerely,

I've not had a mouse in my house since I've had a cat and he kills all spiders or bugs that get in, so they do serve a practical purpose. My cat gives me a lot of love and amusement in return for my service. I don't have to take him for walks, and I've trained him to scratch on his post (I'm sorry if your wife refrained from doing this).

In fact, the more that I think about it the more I realize I get more out of my cat than I do the dogs that I currently own. I love my dogs, but they're more of a PITA than my cat could ever think of being.

Do you prefer and own a dog? If so, enjoy that big sloppy kiss after he's licked his ass and picking up dog #### out of the yard. :cheers:

ZARA

I've not had a mouse in my house since I've had a cat and he kills all spiders or bugs that get in, so they do serve a practical purpose. My cat gives me a lot of love and amusement in return for my service. I don't have to take him for walks, and I've trained him to scratch on his post (I'm sorry if your wife refrained from doing this).

In fact, the more that I think about it the more I realize I get more out of my cat than I do the dogs that I currently own. I love my dogs, but they're more of a PITA than my cat could ever think of being.

Do you prefer and own a dog? If so, enjoy that big sloppy kiss after he's licked his ass and picking up dog #### out of the yard. :cheers:

Agreed. All my cats have their claws and they scratch only designated areas. Same for using the potty, only in the boxes.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Agreed. All my cats have their claws and they scratch only designated areas. Same for using the potty, only in the boxes.

Let me add to this please. I have seen what cats can do to furniture. I have a few marks on the corner of my couch but not many. I scratch train EVERY cat that comes through, adults and kittens. Although adults that have never been trained to scratch on appropriate items can be more of a challenge, it can be done. It didn't take much time/effort to correct the stubborn adults I've had come through either. There are ways to prevent them from using the furniture, and ways to encourage them to use the appropriate items for scratching.

Catnip goes a long way to teach them to scratch on the carpeted posts, the cardboard floor thingy's, and the fancy scratching surfaces. I took a regular size cardboard one and cut it with a large serrated kitchen knife to make 3 smaller ones. I put a small one into each area for the kittens and at least one will promptly jump on it and start scratching which shows the others what to do. Cats CAN be trained. Foxy runs to me like a dog when I call him :biggrin:.

ZARA

Let me add to this please. I have seen what cats can do to furniture. I have a few marks on the corner of my couch but not many. I scratch train EVERY cat that comes through, adults and kittens. Although adults that have never been trained to scratch on appropriate items can be more of a challenge, it can be done. It didn't take much time/effort to correct the stubborn adults I've had come through either. There are ways to prevent them from using the furniture, and ways to encourage them to use the appropriate items for scratching.

Catnip goes a long way to teach them to scratch on the carpeted posts, the cardboard floor thingy's, and the fancy scratching surfaces. I took a regular size cardboard one and cut it with a large serrated kitchen knife to make 3 smaller ones. I put a small one into each area for the kittens and at least one will promptly jump on it and start scratching which shows the others what to do. Cats CAN be trained. Foxy runs to me like a dog when I call him :biggrin:.

Great point. I didn't feel like elaborating. Some days I am lazy...lol

All of my cats have been trained where to scratch. Time consuming but worth it when you buy new furniture.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Great point. I didn't feel like elaborating. Some days I am lazy...lol

All of my cats have been trained where to scratch. Time consuming but worth it when you buy new furniture.

There is room for others to elaborate on the steps to take to stop the furniture damage and also on other steps to train the cats about what surfaces NOT to get on i.e. dining table, kitchen counters, etc.via the use of a squirt gun, noise (shaker), anti-kitty sprays, annoying items left for them to encounter .... ok someone can run with that LOL

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
its called declaw
and they wont tear things up.

"Declawing is a topic that arouses strong feelings. Some people believe it's cruel and unnecessary, while others think it has its place."

Declawing Cats: Far Worse Than a Manicure : The Humane Society of the United States

--------------------------

" ... Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat."

What You Need To Know About Declawing - Declawing.com