Dining with Al Qaeda

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"An American reporter in Syria sits down to talk to four Western-educated, radical jihadists about the war and what they think Washington should do.

The four young men were members of a group called the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Shams—more commonly known as ISIS. It is an organization that has close ties to Al Qaeda. One of the quandaries for Washington as it approaches greater involvement in Syria is how to try to bring down the hated Assad government, accused of using chemical weapons on its own people, without handing power—and perhaps those weapons—to radical jihadists such as ISIS. For their part, these men wanted to convince me of the righteousness of their cause.

All four of my dinner companions had left their respective countries to join the “Syrian jihad against the Shia donkeys,” as one put it; each said he was eager for his turn to become a “martyr for the global jihad.” Yet, despite our many differences, our table shared three common characteristics: we are all under 30, we are all Western-educated college graduates, and we all speak fluent English.

“I first started learning English from American cartoons, but when I got older, I really liked Boy Meets World. Do you know it?” asked 22-year-old Ayman. With his wide brown eyes and a patchy attempt-at-a-beard, he looked like a teenager next to his older brother and their stone-faced friends.

Had we not been just miles away from the battlefield of Aleppo, much of the dinner conversation would have been normal chatter among peers: the young men asked about my family, my schooling, and of course, my love life. They spoke fondly of their college days in Canada and the United Kingdom, and said they hoped to find a Syrian bride because “Syrian and Lebanese [women] are the most beautiful of the Muslims.”

Yet, paradoxically, as they talked about building a future on this earth, they also talked about a future in Paradise, as martyred suicide bombers. “It is a dream,” said Mohammed, his eyes glazing over as he spoke. The 24-year-old Kuwaiti engineering graduate explained that the selection process for suicide missions is very competitive and that “becoming a martyr” during Ramadan specifically is “like extra points with Allah.”

"Despite their animosity towards the United States and its allies, over the course of several meetings, all four men consistently called for Washington to arm the rebels with more sophisticated weaponry. In the most recent interviews, however, the tone shifted to a deeper mistrust and paranoia about Western involvement in Syria.

“Even if I didn’t have this, I wouldn’t take one from the Americans,” said Faraz, as he patted his Kalashnikov. “The Israelis would make sure it exploded in my hand. You [Americans] have your reasons to get involved now, and the reasons are not humanitarian.” He recited a long litany of U.S. military actions in the Muslim world that rarely if ever saved lives, and most often brought death and destruction.

“If the U.S. dares to ‘put boots on the ground’ here, they need to know that we will blow them out of Syria,” said Mohammed, staring intensely. “If they want another battle with us, we are ready for them like we are in Afghanistan, like we are in Iraq. If the US cared about the Syrian people, they would have done something before 100,000 Muslims [Syrians] were killed.”

With this, Faraz added: “Tell America: we will fight you where ever you kill more Muslims. We are ready when you are.” "

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“If the U.S. dares to ‘put boots on the ground’ here, they need to know that we will blow them out of Syria,” said Mohammed, staring intensely. “If they want another battle with us, we are ready for them like we are in Afghanistan, like we are in Iraq. If the US cared about the Syrian people, they would have done something before 100,000 Muslims [Syrians] were killed.”

With this, Faraz added: “Tell America: we will fight you where ever you kill more Muslims. We are ready when you are.”

and that my friends is all you need to know

f'em and giving them more sophisticated weapons

BOP

The 24-year-old Kuwaiti engineering graduate explained that the selection process for suicide missions is very competitive and that “becoming a martyr” during Ramadan specifically is “like extra points with Allah.”

:killingme

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
An interesting article. There was a song back in the 1960's and 70's called "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones. Erudition, poise, and common language seem incongruous with the image one assumes to be the case with a terrorist. Being reminded that terrorists are people too does little for me; I don't hate the person, but I do hate the brainwashing and resultant terrorist acts. So, as I said, interesting article, but it doesn't have much more than entertainment value.

Last edited:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
The article just shows how much ideology vs education is being taught in higher education. In America it's Liberalism, overseas, it would appear it's Islam.

Glad my kids are in hard sciences and one in art. None in liberal arts. Well, one just graduated with a dual major in finance/business at 20. Just two left.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The 24-year-old Kuwaiti engineering graduate explained that the selection process for suicide missions is very competitive and that “becoming a martyr” during Ramadan specifically is “like extra points with Allah.”

:killingme

lets give them all a had grenade, they can practice

dontknowwhy

Link to original article.

"An American reporter in Syria sits down to talk to four Western-educated, radical jihadists about the war and what they think Washington should do.

The four young men were members of a group called the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Shams—more commonly known as ISIS. It is an organization that has close ties to Al Qaeda. One of the quandaries for Washington as it approaches greater involvement in Syria is how to try to bring down the hated Assad government, accused of using chemical weapons on its own people, without handing power—and perhaps those weapons—to radical jihadists such as ISIS. For their part, these men wanted to convince me of the righteousness of their cause.

All four of my dinner companions had left their respective countries to join the “Syrian jihad against the Shia donkeys,” as one put it; each said he was eager for his turn to become a “martyr for the global jihad.” Yet, despite our many differences, our table shared three common characteristics: we are all under 30, we are all Western-educated college graduates, and we all speak fluent English.

“I first started learning English from American cartoons, but when I got older, I really liked Boy Meets World. Do you know it?” asked 22-year-old Ayman. With his wide brown eyes and a patchy attempt-at-a-beard, he looked like a teenager next to his older brother and their stone-faced friends.

Had we not been just miles away from the battlefield of Aleppo, much of the dinner conversation would have been normal chatter among peers: the young men asked about my family, my schooling, and of course, my love life. They spoke fondly of their college days in Canada and the United Kingdom, and said they hoped to find a Syrian bride because “Syrian and Lebanese [women] are the most beautiful of the Muslims.”

Yet, paradoxically, as they talked about building a future on this earth, they also talked about a future in Paradise, as martyred suicide bombers. “It is a dream,” said Mohammed, his eyes glazing over as he spoke. The 24-year-old Kuwaiti engineering graduate explained that the selection process for suicide missions is very competitive and that “becoming a martyr” during Ramadan specifically is “like extra points with Allah.”

"Despite their animosity towards the United States and its allies, over the course of several meetings, all four men consistently called for Washington to arm the rebels with more sophisticated weaponry. In the most recent interviews, however, the tone shifted to a deeper mistrust and paranoia about Western involvement in Syria.

“Even if I didn’t have this, I wouldn’t take one from the Americans,” said Faraz, as he patted his Kalashnikov. “The Israelis would make sure it exploded in my hand. You [Americans] have your reasons to get involved now, and the reasons are not humanitarian.” He recited a long litany of U.S. military actions in the Muslim world that rarely if ever saved lives, and most often brought death and destruction.

With this, Faraz added: “Tell America: we will fight you where ever you kill more Muslims. We are ready when you are.” "

You just absolutely love Al Quaeda, don't you BOY?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
and that my friends is all you need to know

f'em and giving them more sophisticated weapons

One would think at this point American metallurgical science could prepare critical parts of American-made weaponry that could reliably fail at a certain point in a weapons life. Like 100-200 rounds fired and the receiver would self destruct or something like that. Pick a number that would assure eventual defeat of Assad but would prevent a Fast-and-Furious reversal against us or our allies at a later date. Maybe Stinger missiles would contain programming that forced the missile to seek its launch tube once a 'friendly' IFF identified itself as 'friend.'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
One would think at this point American metallurgical science could prepare critical parts of American-made weaponry that could reliably fail at a certain point in a weapons life. Like 100-200 rounds fired and the receiver would self destruct or something like that.

aluminum barrel, with a thin steel core
random bad ammo or rounds loaded with RDX
Aluminum Receiver or Pot Metal Hammers

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I can't remember. Maybe some other nerd can help me out. But isn't ISIS the name of a supervillian organization in a comic?