Flooring for a cabin

acommondisaster

We just bought a house in the Poconos in a resort area and there are a couple of big ski slopes nearby. The houses rent out well in the winter and summer as vacation homes, so that's what we plan on doing with it, as well as us using it when we go visit the relatives. It needs some updating and repairs, but all in all it's a cute little house in the woods. It has the feel of a cabin, with the horizontal paneling and we want to keep a cabin theme to it.

We have to replace the carpeting that runs throughout the house. For economical reasons, we're thinking we'll put a neutral carpet in the bedrooms, but we're thinking we'd like to put down hardwood in the dining room and living room. I was in HD picking out some carpet for another rental, when the associate showed me some vinyl flooring that looks like wood. I was really impressed by how good it looks and I'm thinking it might be a better choice in a vacation rental where they might be traipsing in snow or sand. Anyone have any experience with this kind of flooring? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons between how it looks and feels vs durability and cleanability.

Secondly - my wonderful husband has found a stuffed bear. He thinks it belongs in that house. How do I convince him it's tacky and horrible?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
We have vinyl plank flooring in about a 1/3 of our basement (the rest of it carpeting). We love it! We have a concrete pad underneath that was a bit unlevel, so we couldn't put down real hardwood or tile without investing quite a bit of money and time to make it level, so we chose the vinyl instead. It was a good choice for us.

It looks nice, cleans easily, and doesn't show wear or tear too bad. A simple sweeping and using a minimally damp mop cleans it up beautifully. Admittedly, the space doesn't get a tremendous amount of use, but I would imagine that it will look nice for years to come in just about any setting or high-traffic area.

Best of all, if a scratch or tear does occur, that specific area can be lifted up and replaced with a new piece of plank vinyl.

Attached is a photo of our laundry room to show a portion of our vinyl area. Forgive the mess....we were performing surgery on our dryer so that is why it is in pieces. Good news: The dryer lived, and is now living a full and useful life!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 209
C

czygvtwkr

I was in HD picking out some carpet for another rental, when the associate showed me some vinyl flooring that looks like wood. I was really impressed by how good it looks and I'm thinking it might be a better choice in a vacation rental where they might be traipsing in snow or sand. Anyone have any experience with this kind of flooring?

Was it the Resilient Vinyl flooring that floats? If so I put that in my laundry room, mud room and kitchen. It was so easy to put down, pretty cheap and looks good. Mine has held up well but it doesn't get a lot of traffic. The only tools needed were a utility knife and straight edge, you score the flooring and snap it, its too hard and thick to cut through.

acommondisaster

Was it the Resilient Vinyl flooring that floats? If so I put that in my laundry room, mud room and kitchen. It was so easy to put down, pretty cheap and looks good. Mine has held up well but it doesn't get a lot of traffic. The only tools needed were a utility knife and straight edge, you score the flooring and snap it, its too hard and thick to cut through.

Yes, that's the kind. How does it sound when you walk on it? I keep worrying about anything that sounds like laminate; I hate the way it sounds, even with the sound barrier.

Both of you have it in low traffic areas. I'm wondering how it would do in a dining room/living room. I plan on putting down area rugs, especially under the table to minimize any damage, no matter what we decide on.

acommondisaster

We have vinyl plank flooring in about a 1/3 of our basement (the rest of it carpeting). We love it! We have a concrete pad underneath that was a bit unlevel, so we couldn't put down real hardwood or tile without investing quite a bit of money and time to make it level, so we chose the vinyl instead. It was a good choice for us.

It looks nice, cleans easily, and doesn't show wear or tear too bad. A simple sweeping and using a minimally damp mop cleans it up beautifully. Admittedly, the space doesn't get a tremendous amount of use, but I would imagine that it will look nice for years to come in just about any setting or high-traffic area.

Best of all, if a scratch or tear does occur, that specific area can be lifted up and replaced with a new piece of plank vinyl.

Attached is a photo of our laundry room to show a portion of our vinyl area. Forgive the mess....we were performing surgery on our dryer so that is why it is in pieces. Good news: The dryer lived, and is now living a full and useful life!

That's gorgeous! I'm going to have to come up with some pictures of the place - it's pretty rustic, but I think it'll have a sweet little cabin feel if we do it right. Good to hear how easy it is to clean, which is my concern, since we won't be doing the cleaning between renters.

C

czygvtwkr

Yes, that's the kind. How does it sound when you walk on it? I keep worrying about anything that sounds like laminate; I hate the way it sounds, even with the sound barrier.

Both of you have it in low traffic areas. I'm wondering how it would do in a dining room/living room. I plan on putting down area rugs, especially under the table to minimize any damage, no matter what we decide on.

Sounds like any vinyl flooring to me. I never quite understood the complaint about the sound of walking on laminate though.

acommondisaster

To me, laminate has the sound of being hollow and cardboard-like. I've seen some really pretty laminate floors that I was fine with until I heard someone walking on it.

Thanks for the testimonials on the vinyl flooring; I think it might be the way to go.

Second problem appears to be half solved. My husband now concedes that a lot of people might be creeped out or object to a dead stuffed bear hanging around the house. He still wants to get it and find a place to store it - in case we decide to move into the house in PA. :-/

Vince

Don't let bob use the dryer anymore. :lol:

C

czygvtwkr

To me, laminate has the sound of being hollow and cardboard-like. I've seen some really pretty laminate floors that I was fine with until I heard someone walking on it.

Thanks for the testimonials on the vinyl flooring; I think it might be the way to go.

Second problem appears to be half solved. My husband now concedes that a lot of people might be creeped out or object to a dead stuffed bear hanging around the house. He still wants to get it and find a place to store it - in case we decide to move into the house in PA. :-/

I am in the process of putting laminate in the rest of my house, so I did a little research. From what I understand the thicker laminate 10mm and 12mm vs the standard 8mm are quieter, as is the laminate that comes with the padding already attached. Another big factor is the flatness of the floor it was laid on top of. I purchased my flooring last week from home depot, got the 10mm with attached pad.

The noise comes frmo a couple things, one is the laminate not being on the subfloor until you step on it and when it deflects and contacts the subfloor is some of the noise, other noise is from the joints rubbing because of the deflection.

The resilient vinyl does not do this because one piece is stuck to the next piece via adhesive, making it one big piece of vinyl. In addition even though it is pretty stiff for vinyl it is way less stiff than laminate and conforms to the subfloor more than laminate flooring.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In my kitchen and basement I have sheet vinyl that looks like wood. I don't know how many people said, "I thought you were going with vinyl?" after they saw it because they didn't realize it wasn't laminate until they got really close to it.

So put another vote in the vinyl column.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
In my kitchen and basement I have sheet vinyl that looks like wood. I don't know how many people said, "I thought you were going with vinyl?" after they saw it because they didn't realize it wasn't laminate until they got really close to it.

:yay: I thought your kitchen WAS laminate wood flooring! :lol:

acommondisaster

We're closing on the house next week; powerwashing and painting the exterior and doing a few minor repairs, then we'll be ready to do the flooring.

Please let me know how your utility grade install goes (pictures would be awesome). I saw it on LL site the night I originally posted, but I'm cautious. Vinyl is really sounding like a good option - especially from the standpoint of not being the ones there cleaning up after renters.

Vrai, since you seem to be the one who has put it in a higher traffic area and you have pets, how long have you had it and how is it holding up?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Don't let bob use the dryer anymore. :lol:

I fixed the crap out of that dryer...

Now I'm moving on to the freezer... sears tends to keep my handyman skills sharp!

But just in case, anyone know a good appliance repair person?

nutz

We're closing on the house next week; powerwashing and painting the exterior and doing a few minor repairs, then we'll be ready to do the flooring.

Please let me know how your utility grade install goes (pictures would be awesome). I saw it on LL site the night I originally posted, but I'm cautious. Vinyl is really sounding like a good option - especially from the standpoint of not being the ones there cleaning up after renters.

Vrai, since you seem to be the one who has put it in a higher traffic area and you have pets, how long have you had it and how is it holding up?

Utility grade is what they are showing on the right hand side picture. Different edge treatments may have been used so the flooring may not line up properly. This is also unfinished flooring, so that has to be factored in.

" No returns allowed. This product comes in square-edge or v-groove and my be mixed product. Utility grade material is sold as is-no warranty, no returns, no cancellations."

Midnightrider

i put vinyl tile in the basement entry way and laundry room. other than the feel under bare feet you wouldn't know the difference. Plus it was easy to put down, took about 1/3 the time of tile.

acommondisaster

Utility grade is what they are showing on the right hand side picture. Different edge treatments may have been used so the flooring may not line up properly. This is also unfinished flooring, so that has to be factored in.

" No returns allowed. This product comes in square-edge or v-groove and my be mixed product. Utility grade material is sold as is-no warranty, no returns, no cancellations."

I read the reviews as well as the description. Looks like tons of short pieces, which is fine, if you don't mind the look of it (I think it's fine). But if there's no return and there's a lot of waste (which is what the reviews seem to indicate), the price of the flooring starts going up pretty fast, and unless you're specifically looking for a rustic look, it might be just as economical to pick another more expensive flooring. What do you think?

I will be interested in how your installlation goes and what your thoughts are on it after it's done; I hope you'll post about it here; our floor installation is awhile off - once we take possession, we'll have to thoroughly clean, paint and decide what to do with the furniture and antiques in the place.

C

czygvtwkr

I read the reviews as well as the description. Looks like tons of short pieces, which is fine, if you don't mind the look of it (I think it's fine). But if there's no return and there's a lot of waste (which is what the reviews seem to indicate), the price of the flooring starts going up pretty fast, and unless you're specifically looking for a rustic look, it might be just as economical to pick another more expensive flooring. What do you think?

I was thinking the same thing, the finishing is a pain, but I think it would look good in a rustic cabin or old farm house. Cabins nicer than my primary residence don't count as a cabin.