Boeing poised to be sole bidder on Air Force One..

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

" CHICAGO — Boeing Co., whose aircraft have ferried U.S. presidents for more than half a century, is poised to be the only contender for a Pentagon contract to provide the next Air Force One jetliner early next decade.

Boeing said it's reviewing an Air Force request for information about the plane issued Sept. 9 and isn't ready to announce a bid. Toulouse, France-based Airbus doesn't intend to make a proposal based on its double-decker A380 jet.

That leaves Boeing as the "only credible offerer" for the iconic jet, said Loren Thompson, a defense analyst with the Arlington, Va.-based Lexington Institute. The Air Force wants a four-engine plane, and the A380 and Boeing's 747-8 are the only Western commercial models that fit the bill.

"The government might accept bids from companies other than Boeing, but I don't believe it would actually award the program to them," Thompson said in an email. "It isn't going to buy an Airbus plane, and the integration challenge of turning a 747 into a next-generation Air Force One is just too demanding for anyone other than Boeing."

It's still premature to say whether Boeing intends to bid, Dianna Ramirez, a spokeswoman for Boeing's military aircraft business, said this week in a phone interview.

The survey, an early step in the process, aims to identify sources with the expertise, capability and experience to deliver the next presidential aircraft, Charles Gulick, an Air Force spokesman, said in an email. Potential participants could range from a single large contractor to a systems integrator that modifies a four-engine airframe, he said.

Winning the next version of Air Force One would provide a boost to Boeing's 747-8 Intercontinental, its largest and most expensive passenger jet with a list price of $356.9 million, as it slows production amid slumping sales for four-engine aircraft. Boeing, based in Chicago, has sold nine customized versions of the jumbos to clients that include foreign heads of state, Doug Alder, a Boeing spokesman, said in an e-mail. "

" The Obama administration's budget for fiscal 2014 has allocated $1.14 billion to be spent on research and development of the new presidential aircraft through 2018. The total includes one aircraft, which would be purchased in fiscal 2017 and modified for system integration and developmental testing before it is added to the presidential fleet, Gulick said.

After supplying Air Force One aircraft since 1962, Boeing "is in a pretty strong incumbent position including political backing" for the next contest, Robert Stallard, a New York- based aerospace and defense analyst with RBC Capital Markets, wrote in a Sept. 10 research note to clients. "

Airbus parent European Aeronautic Defence & Space Co. doesn't plan to duel with Boeing as it did over an earlier Air Force contract for aerial refueling tankers."

ZARA

Is Boeing a French company????? Otherwise, why biotch???

Whoops! The OP got some Cheerios............

Look for dailey to make some stupid comment to follow.....

I think I am brain dead tonight because I don't understand a damn thing you just said. lol

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I think I am brain dead tonight because I don't understand a damn thing you just said. lol

I didn't understand the OP. Why the biotch over a U.S. company making AF1?

Who cares???? One that spent time in the intel business since 1972 can spend hours telling you why some foreign company shouldn't be building these things.

ZARA

I didn't understand the OP. Why the biotch over a U.S. company making AF1?

Who cares???? One that spent time in the intel business since 1972 can spend hours telling you why some foreign company shouldn't be building these things.

Ahh ok. I didn't read it as him bitching, just posting. :buddies:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Ahh ok. I didn't read it as him bitching, just posting. :buddies:

Luv you too honey. Sometimes the boy posts just to get his quarter, not realizing the liberal side of what he posts is so stupid as to be incredible. No problem, we just shoot it down on the upside...

Just sayin'

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Ignore the ignorant old fellow, he's been losing it for some time now.

Maybe you should put me on ignore, as you get butt hurt daily.

Sometimes liberals forget that military folks can retire at 47 y/o. That's certainly not old.

:killingme

Put me in the same category as your King Obama. Old.