Commemorating Four Infamous Murders

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"(Reuters) - Fifty years after a bomb ripped through a Sunday school, killing four girls and rocking a racially divided nation, the city of Birmingham, Alabama, is commemorating the tragedy that led to the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

"It is a sad story, but there is a joy that came out of it," said Sarah Collins Rudolph, who survived the blast at the 16th Street Baptist Church. Her 14-year-old sister, Addie Mae Collins, was among the victims of the bomb planted by a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

On Sunday, at 10:22 a.m. CT, the time of the blast, the church's bell tolled in remembrance of Collins, 11-year-old Denise McNair, and Carole Robertson and Cynthia Wesley, both 14.

The bell and a church service in which the Gospel text will include the exhortation to "love your enemies" -- the same verses read 50 years ago -- will start a day of activities throughout the city remembering the tragedy and celebrating the 1964 act that resulted from it.

"What would you do if you could get your hands on that Blanton dude who bombed the church?" asked Pastor Arthur Price at the church's Sunday school class. The Christian answer, he said, is to practice "the love that forgives."

The 1964 Civil Rights Act that outlawed discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion or gender also brought an end to the Jim Crow laws that had enforced rigid segregation practices across much of the southeastern United States.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, the nation's first black attorney general, former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who had been a childhood playmate of one of the victims, and former Congressman and Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young are to speak at a 3 p.m. CT ceremony focusing on the progress in race relations in the decades since and looking at the challenges that remain.

'I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE'

Rice, who was an 8-year-old playmate of McNair at the time of the bombing, on Saturday recalled the fear that followed the blasts, which she said influenced her work as Secretary of State.

"I know what it is like for a Palestinian mother who has to tell her child they can't go somewhere, and how it is for an Israeli mother who puts her child to bed and wonders if the child will be alive in the morning," Rice said.

The last surviving bomber, 83-year-old Thomas Blanton, sits alone in a prison cell not far from Birmingham. Since his 2001 conviction, his list of visitors has dropped to his daughter and a few other infrequent visitors, said Brian Corbett, spokesman for the Alabama Department of Corrections."

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I think that racism and other forms of hatred in practice have always been with us and will continue, at least in the present age. I barely remember (but I actually DO) the crimes and the turmoil which came to us nightly via the Huntley-Brinkley Report. I remember my parents finally telling me to stop asking "why" whenever such coverage was on TV. Those days were so strange, so eerie. The riots in Washington D.C. in 1967 also come to mind. It was a decade of struggles and extremes, and it seemed like there was no end in sight. And now, in the Age of Entitlement, the struggles continue as the burdens on society follow racial lines.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Link to original article.

"(Reuters) - Fifty years after a bomb ripped through a Sunday school, killing four girls and rocking a racially divided nation, the city of Birmingham, Alabama, is commemorating the tragedy that led to the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

"It is a sad story, but there is a joy that came out of it," said Sarah Collins Rudolph, who survived the blast at the 16th Street Baptist Church. Her 14-year-old sister, Addie Mae Collins, was among the victims of the bomb planted by a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

On Sunday, at 10:22 a.m. CT, the time of the blast, the church's bell tolled in remembrance of Collins, 11-year-old Denise McNair, and Carole Robertson and Cynthia Wesley, both 14.

The bell and a church service in which the Gospel text will include the exhortation to "love your enemies" -- the same verses read 50 years ago -- will start a day of activities throughout the city remembering the tragedy and celebrating the 1964 act that resulted from it.

"What would you do if you could get your hands on that Blanton dude who bombed the church?" asked Pastor Arthur Price at the church's Sunday school class. The Christian answer, he said, is to practice "the love that forgives."

The 1964 Civil Rights Act that outlawed discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion or gender also brought an end to the Jim Crow laws that had enforced rigid segregation practices across much of the southeastern United States.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, the nation's first black attorney general, former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who had been a childhood playmate of one of the victims, and former Congressman and Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young are to speak at a 3 p.m. CT ceremony focusing on the progress in race relations in the decades since and looking at the challenges that remain.

'I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE'

Rice, who was an 8-year-old playmate of McNair at the time of the bombing, on Saturday recalled the fear that followed the blasts, which she said influenced her work as Secretary of State.

"I know what it is like for a Palestinian mother who has to tell her child they can't go somewhere, and how it is for an Israeli mother who puts her child to bed and wonders if the child will be alive in the morning," Rice said.

The last surviving bomber, 83-year-old Thomas Blanton, sits alone in a prison cell not far from Birmingham. Since his 2001 conviction, his list of visitors has dropped to his daughter and a few other infrequent visitors, said Brian Corbett, spokesman for the Alabama Department of Corrections."

and your comment????????

as usual, cut & paste.............

CrashTest

Nowadays, pink kittens are considered a symbol of racism. When pink kittens (and everything else) becomes racist, it make it easy to forget about true racism like this incident from 50 years ago. We have the modern day race baiters to thank (including this thread starter).

If the kids who died in this bombing 50 years ago could be brought back to life, I wonder if they would consider a pink kitten a symbol of racism.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If the kids who died in this bombing 50 years ago could be brought back to life, I wonder if they would consider a pink kitten a symbol of racism.

They'd probably wonder why black people vote for the party that murdered them

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I'd like to see the nation begin to understand the meaning of the word "equal" and apply it as the real standard. I'd like the MSM to adequately report racial issues as they cut both ways, instead of constantly harping on the white-abusing-black stories. I'd like people to recognize that oppression is becoming a myth perpetuated by the formerly oppressed. And I'd like people of all races who dislike people of other races to rise above the race thing and get on with pursuing the American dream as members of one race - the HUMAN race. And the American dream in its origins is a paradigm where hard work and self-discipline yield material gains which comprise a successful life.

These things are no more or less than what Dr. Martin Luther King envisioned and passionately advocated.

CrashTest

I'd like to see the nation begin to understand the meaning of the word "equal" and apply it as the real standard. I'd like the MSM to adequately report racial issues as they cut both ways, instead of constantly harping on the white-abusing-black stories. I'd like people to recognize that oppression is becoming a myth perpetuated by the formerly oppressed. And I'd like people of all races who dislike people of other races to rise above the race thing and get on with pursuing the American dream as members of one race - the HUMAN race. And the American dream in its origins is a paradigm where hard work and self-discipline yield material gains which comprise a successful life.

These things are no more or less than what Dr. Martin Luther King envisioned and passionately advocated.

Won't happen.

Booker T. Washington on race baiters who invent racism (like pink kittens) -
"...some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”

Inventing racism and keeping blacks on the plantation towing the line is big business.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
NEVER under estimate the power of the FREE CHECK! :coffee:

There can be no doubt that the 'gibs' plays a major part in how the recipients of the 'gibs' vote, but how can we explain the fact that the over-rich members of that demographic are also blindly liberal when they vote?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm not trying to be a bitch here, or non-sympathetic, but why are we constantly harping on the past instead of moving forward to the future?

All this shiyt - all of it - happened before I was even born.

Do you know, I grew up in the deep South and I had no clue what racism was until I moved to the DC metro area.

Racism racism racism everywhere. "We hate white people". But that's not considered racism. :confused:

WTF? Stop living in the past and there won't be any racism to worry about.

SG_Player1974

I'm not trying to be a bitch here, or non-sympathetic, but why are we constantly harping on the past instead of moving forward to the future?

Simple....

Without the past, there is NOTHING for the "minorities" to hang their hat on when talking about racisim.

Now we have EEO, No kid left behind, Favoritisim for minorities at Universities, etc, etc, etc....

Only bringing up or quoting the past can justiy a cry of racisim now-a-days :coffee:

Perhaps a better question is this....

"Why is it that, in today's America, a WHITE student with straight A's and good academic resume can be passed up in favor of a "Minority" student with a C average for a scholarship and that is considered "equal opportunity" and not RACISIM?"

Last edited:
F

FngBng

It’s a diversionary tactic orchestrated by the Jewish owned media in an attempted to get their goyim (gentile) enemies to destroy each other (or at the very least fight) while the Israeli's quietly take control of our capital.