Thread: Bitten by a Black Widow Spider

Bitten by a Black Widow Spider

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/sc...ows.html?_r=1&

I donned the shoes before walking to the edge of the water. Within about a dozen steps, I felt a stinging sensation on the second toe of my left foot, as if there had been a thorn inside the shoe. Then the pain increased to about that of a wasp’s sting. I sat on a rock and removed the shoe. The squashed remains of a spider were smeared across the insole. I realized instantly what must have happened: a black widow from the porch had made its home in my shoe.

For a long moment, I stared at my throbbing toe and wondered what to do....

I lay on my back with my teeth clenched and my hands gripping the sides of a hospital bed. A crowd of strangers in white coats filled the tiny room. Waves of pain lapped from my abdomen into my chest as the venom worked its way toward my heart.
    Don’t take criticism from someone you wouldn’t take advice from.

So, are you going to not wear shoes now?
    *Disclaimer: My online conversation and comments to you in no way imply that I am actually interested in you.*

Quote Originally Posted by migtig View Post
    So, are you going to not wear shoes now?
    No, but I will never leave them outside again.
    Don’t take criticism from someone you wouldn’t take advice from.

My mother used to say you should clap your shoes together before you put them on in case there is anything curled up or hiding in them.

I always thought that if a spider is in there they may not come running out after you clapped the shoes together. As a matter of fact, you may have just made the spider mad and disoriented and it is for sure going to bite you before you have a chance to squish it with your toes because now you've put it on high alert that something is happening!

Oh. My. Goddddddd Name:  avatar29956_50.gif
Views: 133
Size:  12.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by bresamil View Post
    If everyone's just going to sing Kumbaya I'm logging off.

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    No, but I will never leave them outside again.
    I don't know anyone with a hermetically sealed house that keep spiders out. If a bug wants in any building they will get in.

Been there. 103.4 temp for about 4 days. Pain all over, It sucked. Still managed to work the day after, it was 99 degrees out and I had to wear a jacket and was still cold.

Quote Originally Posted by corollinout View Post
    Been there. 103.4 temp for about 4 days. Pain all over, It sucked. Still managed to work the day after, it was 99 degrees out and I had to wear a jacket and was still cold.
    Shudder! Glad you survived! My next door neighbor's son had the same thing happen; shoes left out on the deck. Is that what happened to you? Did you get the antivenom? Oh, and that is no excuse that you haven't posted your awesome photos, lately!

Sorry, been busy working around the house. Did take a day trip to Harpers Ferry so I may post a couple of those.

I was bit in a crawl space, no doctor visit, just fought it. I don't go to doctors unless I absolutely need to.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.