What can you tell me about Loveville Leather?

MDres

I am having an extremely expensive and frustrating time finding a saddle that fits my horse properly. Every single saddle I have tried slides way far forward onto his withers/shoulder blades and even to his neck. He is extremely round, even over his withers, so there just isn't a good place for the saddle to sit and stay. I've tried all sorts of tree widths/dimensions in English, Western, treeless (Barefoot), and even bareback pads, and they ALL slide forward. I am unable to ride him because of this. The saddles slide forward to the point that he wants to buck while ridden, and bucks like a rodeo bronc when worked in the roundpen without a rider. I cannot even break him further than he is at right now because I refuse to ride him in a poorly fitting saddle.

Someone told me I can haul to Loveville and get a saddle fitting. Since it is ~2hrs away from me, and I cannot call them to discuss it, I wanted to get the scoop on here first. I am new to the area, so I haven't ever been to their shop before. I have been to the North Ryceville shop, but I don't know if they do fittings.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

fredsaid2

Loveville specializes in Stubben. I don't recommend Gayers. Have you considered contacting a mobile tack service? One that can bring 20 or so saddles to you, that you can try each and ride in them? Might be a good option especially for a hard to fit horse.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Loveville Leather? Sorry, but that sounds very brokeback mountain to me......

Aarrrgggghhhhhh!

ebs

Loveville has some other saddles but he mainly deals Stubben and Wintec, as has been pointed out. He also carries a couple lines of Western saddles. He does a decent job but if your horse is that hard to fit, Loveville might not be the best choice (esp. if it's that far from you). Not sure where you are but I've used this guy before - he is very thorough and takes detailed notes on all the saddles he sees/works with. He'll be able to look back and recommend one for you, he gave me several options. The Saddle Fitter :: Home

Lots of people I know have used Gina Perilla and recommend her. I haven't had any luck getting an appointment with her but then, I haven't been aggressive about following up. Gina Perilla, Certified Master Saddle Fitter

I have two mares (a horse and a pony) with very long flat backs, round barrels, and no withers, and I've gotten their saddles from here: Hastilow Competition Saddles, USA I have the Kent & Masters cob-sized and they work great for my two.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Aarrgggghhhh! Still sounds like obama riding bareback with Putin......

How can I quit you, Vlad?"

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I would have a mobile saddle fitter come out and measure him. Than buy a saddle from them or at least have ideas of saddles.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I second Gina Perilla...she will come to you and is very good at challenging fits. I would not use Loveville Leather for a hard to fit situation and dont even waste your time with Ryceville harness shop.

BTW where are you located...

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Loveville Leather? Sorry, but that sounds very brokeback mountain to me......

Aarrrgggghhhhhh!

Loveville is a place, like "Tampa" or "New Orleans".

rabbithead said:
Have you tried Gayer's Saddlery, 6611 Dower House Rd. , Upper Marlboro, MD 301-599-6507

I would NOT recommend Gayer's.

I've purchased two stubben saddles from Elam he's also a Bates dealer but, they don't fit my horses well. He doesn't really do much to alter saddles, he would recommend a stubben saddle fitter, which last time I checked was free when you bought a stubben saddle but you may want to confirm that. He DOES have a phone number, you'll just need to leave a message and he'll call you back: 301.475.8452 ext 3

Gina Perilla is an option if you have a saddle you want fitted. If you're looking to buy a saddle Custom Saddlery is quite good and as the name implies, CUSTOM so it would be designed to fit you and your horse.

While fit does seem to be the issue have you tried a crupper?

MDres

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will definitely look into having a saddle fitter come out, I had no idea there were any willing to come to the southern MD area.

I'll try to take a drive out to Loveville this week and talk to Elam regarding the Stubben fitter.

The saddle I have been using is a Thornhill Vienna, and I cannot find *where* it is not fitting. I've watched fitting tutorial on YouTube and read others to ensure it is correct on him. I think it slides forward because he is so round. I have considered using a crupper, and I may purchase one and give it a try.

It's a doubly frustrating situation because I can't ride him right now due to saddle fit issues, and after I sink time and money into resolving the issues so I CAN ride him, then his back will likely change due to being ridden/using muscles he's not using now.... Which means ANOTHER fitting....

I also think he is just a weeny when it comes to things that are uncomfortable. His flight reflex is off the chart - I've never owned a horse that I have to be so darn careful around to prevent him from wigging out and bolting. My grand plan was to use him as an endurance horse... not sure that will ever happen!

HammerII2008

Have you tried a crupper? It's designed just for the problem you are having. It's a leather strap that loops under the horses tail. and attaches to the saddle. Just be careful when you start using one that you learn how to fit it first. ie....adjust it long prior to putting it on, then make adjustments.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I had my daughter's horse fitted by Elam at Loville Leather for a Wintec Isabella Dressage saddle with the CAIR system (google is your friend). We don't ride 'English' (we have gaited horses, many are built like you describe). My daughter wanted an English style saddle and since Gaited horses are built very differently from a trotting horse i had to be careful what i got for him. I waited until he was 5 and fully mature, then had him custom fitted for the Wintec by Elam. The best thing i ever did for that horse and my daughter. The seat is very deep, and there are knee rolls in the front. She trail rides in it and can do speed as well, it's a super nice saddle.

I personally ride in Bob Marshall Sports Saddles (I have 4), all with their own Skito saddle pads (Home ). These are a very nice 'treeless' saddle and require a GOOD saddle pad, like a skito, which is made for the specific model saddle. A saddle pad made for the specific saddle doesn't allow the saddle to roll or slide forward/back even when mounting from the ground and going up/down hill and Tom at Skito is awesome to work with. If the pad doesn't work with the saddle, he'll make it right, just communicate with him. I've tried most of the other treeless types and I'm not crazy about any of the others - they workmanship isn't as high as the BMSS, IMO.

If your horse isn't gaited, you might consider looking at gaited saddles for him. They are made differently in that the tree is 'flared' in front to allow for free shoulder movement. Gaited saddles usually fit non gaited round barreled horses great for that reason and what you may see as a minor difference makes a huge difference to the horse.

I have a Dixieland Western trail saddle that I love, but is too big for me (a 16" seat) so it will be for sale when I buy something to replace it.

I'm rolling around getting an Allegehehy Trail saddle. Welcome to Allegany Trail Riding Saddles - I've heard good things about them and they make both a gaited and QH bars.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Deciding on a treeless or treed saddle depends on how much you ride, your body weight and how balanced you are in the saddle. A treeless saddle doesn't disperse weight across the horse's back well enough for a heavy rider (over 250 lbs) or an unbalanced rider of any weight, regardless of the saddle pad, so tree'd saddles are generally best for these riders.

A treeless saddle under a light, or moderate weight rider with good balance is great choice for pretty much any length of time, within reason since 'most' riders won't ride long enough hours at one stretch for it to become a problem - unless you ride gaited and do endurance - you don't post on a gaited horse, so the horse's back doesn't get that change in position - they tend to get sore right under the rider's seat bones even through a skito pad.

I'm a moderate weight rider (average weight) and I noticed my horse's backs were sore by the end of a 4 day weekend of riding 4 days in a row, 4-6 hours a day under the BMSS - so I use the treed Dixieland saddle for that kind of riding -I use the BMSS for day trips. I check my horse's back for the sweat pattern (it should be completely wet with no dry spots anywhere - even under the gullet) and soreness after EVERY ride. It's a habit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Mb3oG687w

Oh and Circle Y also makes a nice gaited (flared tree) saddle.

I hope this info helps.

Last edited:

nutz

dont even waste your time with Ryceville harness shop.

Unless you're looking for a western saddle or harness or custom made leather products. They do a fantastic job on that kind of stuff. And yes, Omer does custom saddle fitting. :yay:

MDres

Unless you're looking for a western saddle or harness or custom made leather products. They do a fantastic job on that kind of stuff. And yes, Omer does custom saddle fitting. :yay:

I'll probably head over there this week and have him make me a crupper with Beta or Bio thane. I had him do some custom conversions to some items a few months ago. Wandered around his shop while he worked, and was totally impressed with the craftsmanship on his harnesses and the really low pricetags.

Thanks for the heads-up DeeCee about how gaited saddles fit. I had no idea they were wider. My experience with gaited is limited to Saddlebreds (which I am not sure even qualify as gaited...) and they were all slab sided high withered wonky looking horses.

I'll try to find a gaited tree locally and see how it sits on him.

Hoover

I would only recommend Loveville if you are looking for a Stubben or a Wintec. I would recommend having someone come to you and have them fit you and your horse to a saddle - maybe even a County saddle. Try various saddles - take measurements and go to Dover and try them on your horse - Yes take your horse with you. I have a Stubben Roxanne I paid $3100 and it doesn't fit my horse but fit me, I bought from Loveville 2 years ago. It looks beautiful sitting in my living room since I cant use it.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
MDres, gaited saddles aren't generically 'wider', they're made so that the tree flares outward in the front over the shoulder blades to allow for freedom of movement they also tend to have slightly higher gullets - which puts the rider's seat bones into the correct position on the horses back and well away from the shoulders to free up motion.

A couple of things to remember in your saddle search (I'm sure you already know these but they still bear repeating):
No amount of padding will help a poor or mediocure fitting saddle (remember the princess and the pea?) and
A custom fitted saddle may not work for the horses's entire life, horse bodies change just like we do, so saddle fit has to be checked every time you ride no matter what saddle you choose.

The saddle has to work for both you and your horse. I've seen many horses 'grin and bear it' and basically behave under saddle, all the while giving loud unspoken messages to the rider (jigging, tail swishing, failure to stand for mounting etc.) I've also seen just as many throw a fit and buck the rider off the first time a poor fitting saddle jams into them going up or down hill or during the transition between gaits (especially when moving into the canter and refusal/inability to perform gait). Far too many riders blame the horse for their own lack of listening/observation skills.

You should also always use a mounting block (or step the front end of the horse over a fallen tree) and never haul yourself onto the horse using the horn and cantle - you should hold onto the MANE and rest your other hand on the cantle and don't use it to pull yourself over. Lift your body over the horse using your mounting leg and sit lightly into the saddle, don't slam down onto his back. Fear of pain is the primary reason otherwise well broke horses refuse to stand for mounting.

You're welcome to make the trek down here to good 'ole Southern MD and try a few of mine on him/her to see how they fit then decide what will work well with him.

I have the Wintec Isabella, 4 Bob Marshalls (and one other treeless brand), a wide tree Dixieland, a gaited Big Horn, a National Bridle Tennesean, a full quarter bar Circle Y and a couple of high quality roping saddles (also non-gaited). One or more of them could help you decide what he might need.

I've done a few talks on gaited saddles and bitting at various private barns over the years so (obviously) i love to talk saddles - I really feel is the most important part of a good riding experience (next to a well broke horse of course!). :biggrin:
PM me if you want to visit.

Last edited: