It's time for an Amish Barn Raising

fatratcat

I'm all for trying to help out the Amish with a farmers market on the lawn of the library, but I think the time has come for them to raise a barn and sell on their own land. One, it would allow them to engage in commerce throughout the year. Second, it removes the shanty town look in front of the library. Like I said, I don't mind helping, but it's gone on too long. If they can afford commericals on TV, they can afford a barn like facility. What other religious community gets this kind of a government accomodation?

jleger

I'm all for trying to help out the Amish with a farmers market on the lawn of the library, but I think the time has come for them to raise a barn and sell on their own land. One, it would allow them to engage in commerce throughout the year. Second, it removes the shanty town look in front of the library. Like I said, I don't mind helping, but it's gone on too long. If they can afford commericals on TV, they can afford a barn like facility. What other religious community gets this kind of a government accomodation?

How are you 'helping out' with this kind of comment? It's not about helping out, but about preserving and exploring the history/heritage of Southern Maryland, as well as having a presence in a central area in town on certain dates and times. Amish and Mennonite don't have exclusive rights to this kind of 'public access'. (You could set up your Pokemon trading table if you really wanted to...)

My bet is that the offerings just aren't a match for you personally, but are a match for a lot of other people. Go shop at Target and get the same things everyone else has.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Many of them, perhaps even most, do sell their products and produce from their own properties. The best thing about the market area(s) is the convenience of having such a variety for sale all in one spot.
:buddies:

buddscreek

the market was placed there to move them to one location. if done away with the will return to the side of rt5, and cause a traffic hazzard. it was scarey when they were along s/b5 .

OldHillcrestGuy

the market was placed there to move them to one location. if done away with the will return to the side of rt5, and cause a traffic hazzard. it was scarey when they were along s/b5 .

You are right on buddscreek, the county wanted to find them a place off of the roadways because of traffic problema and for the Amish's safefy. A couple of their roadside stands had been robbed and one of them was pistol whipped.
The market has really taken off since it was established at the library and they really need more room. When you travel down Rt.5 the view isnt the nicest, usually the horse's ass ends.

Well it was nice when they used to sell at the Farmer's Market. But then that turned into a junk sale and not a true Farmer's Market. I am glad they have a separate place.

mamatutu

mama to two
You are right on buddscreek, the county wanted to find them a place off of the roadways because of traffic problema and for the Amish's safefy. A couple of their roadside stands had been robbed and one of them was pistol whipped.
The market has really taken off since it was established at the library and they really need more room. When you travel down Rt.5 the view isnt the nicest, usually the horse's ass ends.

That is so sad. I never heard about those incidents. Just another example of how criminals go for the most vulnerable, because criminals are cowards, at heart. I applaud the Amish for trying to live in the alternate world, as it is today. They are self sufficient, and thankfully, they agree to offer the rest of us the wonderful bounty that they grow and create.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think the view from 5 is perfect.. like telling the tourists: "You're entering the true Southern part of MD... Things down here are different."

mamatutu

mama to two
I think the view from 5 is perfect.. like telling the tourists: "You're entering the true Southern part of MD... Things down here are different."

As it should be. One of the remaining last semblances of true America. I think of them as hold outs for true innocence, and American perseverance that could be lost forever. I hope that they shall ever remain, forever.

red_explorer

Most all of their 'commercials' are produced through grants. They actually pay to be in those spots, and pay dearly. And, in addition to the convenience factor for patrons, of having all the goods in one spot, they bring a large clientele to that library!!!

nutz

What channel are they advertising the farmers market on? :popcorn:

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you

This comment has been reported to Lebanon Levi

fatratcat

How are you 'helping out' with this kind of comment? It's not about helping out, but about , as well as having a presence in a central area in town on certain dates and times. Amish and Mennonite don't have exclusive rights to this kind of 'public access'. (You could set up your Pokemon trading table if you really wanted to...)

My bet is that the offerings just aren't a match for you personally, but are a match for a lot of other people. Go shop at Target and get the same things everyone else has.

So? It's OK with you if there were a bunch of tents in a public space selling Pokemon? BTW- a bunch of Amish peddling produce is NOT "preserving and exploring the history/heritage of Southern Maryland," it's an eyesore! They've been there for years, I say it's time they raised a barn and established a facility that would allow the activity year round.

fatratcat

Many of them, perhaps even most, do sell their products and produce from their own properties. The best thing about the market area(s) is the convenience of having such a variety for sale all in one spot.
:buddies:

Agreed, but is there any reason they can't do it on their own property? Again, I don't mind giving their community a hand up, but there comes a time when they need to stand on their own two feet.

fatratcat

Exactly, they probably could use a bigger---permanent structure in an area that doesn't create a traffic hazard.