Flippin Mayor shoots out window

Chris0nllyn

On 09/09/13 at approximately 9:28 a.m. I was in my office located at 239 East Main St in Flippin speaking with someone on the phone. Mayor Hudson came to my office and picked up a firearm that was in my office.

I heard a loud shot and looked up and observed the southeast corner window of my office broken. Mayor Hudson stated that the firearm had went off. Mayor Hudson advised me that he was attempting to unload the firearm and that the ammunition in it had jammed.

I then went to check the welfare of citizens and buildings in the immediate area. Public Works Director Steven Berg was outside and stated that he noticed the pavement just east of the intersection of Third and Main was disturbed and that some debris had ejected toward his vehicle but did not damage it.

I determined this location to be the point of impact of the round fired. I checked the buildings in the area and did not observe any damage to buildings, property, or persons. I contacted city attorney Roger Morgan and deputy prosecuting attorney Kenford Carter and advised them of the situation. Mayor Hudson also contacted city attorney Roger Morgan and the Flippin City Council and advised them of the situation.

The apparent accidental discharge of a firearm does not mark Hudson’s first public misstep while serving as the town’s mayor. Twice following arrests in separate incidents, Hudson has faced harsh, skeptical crowds asking for his resignation during tense city council meetings.

In January, Hudson pleaded guilty in Marion County District Court to driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor, in connection with an accident Nov. 24 of last year.

Following the accident, The Bulletin contacted Hudson and asked him to comment about the arrest.

“I’m not going to resign,” Hudson said. “I was on my own time, and I just messed up. There were a lot of things going on. I had the flu, and it was just a bad time.”

Hudson was sentenced to 10 days in jail, with all but one day suspended, and was given credit for one day served, according to a court clerk. Hudson was ordered by Marion County District Court Judge Jason Duffy to pay $800 in court fines and costs.

Charges of failure to yield and possession of a controlled substance were not prosecuted, the clerk said.

According to an Arkansas State Police report, Hudson was under the influence of Hydrocodone at the time of the noninjury accident that occurred at the intersection of Arkansas Highway 178 and Airport Road in Flippin.

In a special city council meeting three days after the accident and Hudson’s subsequent arrest, city council members read a letter stating Hudson was no longer allowed to drive any city-owned vehicles and that the city council wanted Hudson to resign.

After several citizens also called for his resignation, Hudson again declined.

“I made a mistake, but I’m not going to resign,” Hudson said during the meeting. “There’s no point in going over it again and again.”

Hudson’s comments following his arrest for driving while intoxicated were similar to comments he made during a special council meeting called in October 2011 after Hudson was arrested for battery and public intoxication outside a Flippin apartment.

Hudson was arrested after getting into a fight with a 70-year-old man, according to Marion County Sheriff Roger Vickers, who said the fight was over a woman. Hudson denied the fight was over a woman.

Hudson eventually pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, with the battery and public intoxication charges being dropped.

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/artic...yor-shoots-out-window?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1