Bowie Training Center quarantines barn, euthanizes

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"Maryland Jockey Club officials quarantined a barn at the Bowie Training Center Saturday as they awaited the results of test to determine if a horse in that barn had a virus that causes respiratory infection and neurological disease, authorities said.

In a news release, officials said a suspected case of so-called equine herpesvirus prompted them to place a “hold order” on Barn 16 at the Bowie facility — meaning no horses can go in or out until they are cleared by state agriculture officials. The barn holds 27 horses of the 490 at the Bowie Training Center, authorities said. "

Bowie Training Center quarantines barn, euthanizes horse in suspected virus incident - The Washington Post

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Why would they euthanize? Is it not curable?

It's very odd that they would euthanize just because the hose has EHV. It's actually not unusual and typically all young horses, all breeding horses and all show horses are vaccinated.

Because it is spread by coughing/sneezing it's more likely to outbreak in a stable area but typically they would just re-vaccinate everyone. The normal vaccination schedule for EHV is every 6 months but some tracks/barns require more frequent vaccinations as the effectiveness of the vaccine may not last 6 months.

There are two additional versions, one that causes abortions which I wouldn't think would be a concern at a racetrack training barn and one that causes neurological issues which I would see as a concern. But quarantining the sick horse would be a better solution than euthanizing it unless there was something else going on. (Or a big insurance pay out... :whistle:)

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
It's very odd that they would euthanize just because the hose has EHV. It's actually not unusual and typically all young horses, all breeding horses and all show horses are vaccinated.

Because it is spread by coughing/sneezing it's more likely to outbreak in a stable area but typically they would just re-vaccinate everyone. The normal vaccination schedule for EHV is every 6 months but some tracks/barns require more frequent vaccinations as the effectiveness of the vaccine may not last 6 months.

There are two additional versions, one that causes abortions which I wouldn't think would be a concern at a racetrack training barn and one that causes neurological issues which I would see as a concern. But quarantining the sick horse would be a better solution than euthanizing it unless there was something else going on. (Or a big insurance pay out... :whistle:)

When I read it, other than the neurological part, it seemed similar to kennel cough. I figured some antibiotics and the horses would be better. I know nothing about them (except I looooooove horses) and illnesses associated with them. Very sad. I hope no more horses have to euthanized :frown:

Hoover

I called a friend of mine that is a trainer at Bowie and he said none of the horses were put down just treated with antibiotics and are being watched. Some are close to it due to infections being out of control.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Herpes virus is a VIRUS and therefore immune to antibiotics.

Dogs (and many other animals carry) it in their bodies and it doesn't make them sick, but it kills many puppies under 2 weeks of age - unless they are kept uber warm until they can regulate their own body temps to keep it at bay (generally around 2-3 weeks of age) and then again at the time of first vaccinations. If you ever experience a Herpes litter you'll never forget it. :dead: It's awful.

Antibiotics are used for treating secondary infections which take over following even minute exposures because of the weakened immune system.

Eventer29

According to my sister who works for this trainer the horse had botulism, and I believe was euthanized. I know the trainer and they would not have euthed if not necessary.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Botulism is completely different. I wonder if the reporter was supposed to be reporting on the EHV and simply heard that a horse had been euthanized and assumed they were related?