Nhl 2013-2014

Baz

This. ------------------>
Figured it's about time to open a thread for the new season.

This year should be even more entertaining, now that all of our teams (at least to those of us who post regularly) are back in the same division. Sorry Capitals, you're going to have to work for your division champions banners from now on. :smile:

One thing I think we will all agree on, the division name sucks, colossally. "Metropolitan" ?!?!!? Nice goin', NHL. :boo:

Columbus/Pittsburgh should become a nice regional rivalry, although secondary to the prexisting ones. The Caps bring their Hurricane buddies along, and moving Detroit to the east makes it that much tougher to get to the SC Finals.

Should be fun!!!
:buddies:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
The Caps rookies were having a field day against Boston's top guys last night. Even though we lost in yet another shootout, it was entertaining as hell. I loved it when Boston's announcer/homer accused Joel Rechlicz of "assaulting Lucic's knuckles with his nose!". Good times. :lmao:

Chris0nllyn

Hate the new rules...

No removal of the helmet before fighting.

Tuck in your shirts.

Other than that, looking forward to another season of hockey!

Baz

Hate the new rules...

Tuck in your shirts.

That one is especially idiotic. It didn't take long for the players to find a way around it. :smile:

Y! SPORTS

Brett Gallant of the New York Islanders and Krys Barch of the New Jersey Devils found a way around it before their second tilt Thursday night: both purposely took off the other's helmet.
I'm sure the NHL will tighten that loophole, if they haven't already.

OldHillcrestGuy

Yes Cap fans, looks to be a tuff year in the new division, maybe long time before we see playoffs in DC again. Sorta like Maryland U., they are going get to know last place in that conference. Dont like the name of the new division either, its horrible.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Hate the new rules...

Tuck in your shirts.

This is actually a "no tuck" rule and seems a bit ridiculous but I'm wondering if they can't just use the fight strap?

Baz

This is actually a "no tuck" rule and seems a bit ridiculous but I'm wondering if they can't just use the fight strap?

It seems this rule (or one similar to it)has actually been in the rulebook for years, just not enforced. The fight strap keeps the jersey from being pulled off completely or from being over an opponent's head during a fight, it wasn't designed to prevent uniform violations.

I get (but don't necessarily agree with) the reasoning for the rule, just not the practicality. A player may intend to fully comply, but the action of the game is occasionally going to shift the jersey in such a way it slides inside the pad. They should take this into account before calling penalties. Much like in the NFL, you often see players tucking shoulder pads under jerseys after getting tackled, etc..., without being penalized if it takes a play or so.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
It seems this rule (or one similar to it)has actually been in the rulebook for years, just not enforced. The fight strap keeps the jersey from being pulled off completely or from being over an opponent's head during a fight, it wasn't designed to prevent uniform violations.
I get (but don't necessarily agree with) the reasoning for the rule, just not the practicality. A player may intend to fully comply, but the action of the game is occasionally going to shift the jersey in such a way it slides inside the pad. They should take this into account before calling penalties. Much like in the NFL, you often see players tucking shoulder pads under jerseys after getting tackled, etc..., without being penalized if it takes a play or so.

I know that, but I'm thinking they'll need to modify it in some way or add something else to keep the sweater from getting tucked in. It's a stupid rule that serves no purpose. Can you imagine them having to call Toronto for video review to determine if a player's "tuck" was inadvertent or deliberate? Not likely but I'm interested to see how often this is actually enforced.

OldHillcrestGuy

How did you come to this conclusion?

Every team in our new conference except for Carolina, all had more points then what the Caps finished with last year, granted it was a short season.
Caps for several years have been in the weakest division in hockey, this new division is full of strong teams, Pens, Flyers, Rangers and a very good young team in the Islanders, we will playing these teams more with them being in the same division.
Caps made few changes and lost key players in Roberio and Hendricks. Hopefully Grabovski and rookie Tom Wilson will have good seasons.
Be interesting to see where the folks who predict the different conferences and divisions pick the Caps to finish, I see them battling Carolina and Columbus for the bottom 3 places. Ive been a Cap fan from day one, sure I'd like them to come in first but with all the teams now in their division, I feel they are not as strong a team as some of the others.
We made the playoffs mostly by coming in first in our division for the past so many years, dont think we are a first place team now, we have to depend on being one of the top 8 teams in points now.

Hank

my war
Every team in our new conference except for Carolina, all had more points then what the Caps finished with last year, granted it was a short season.
Caps for several years have been in the weakest division in hockey, this new division is full of strong teams, Pens, Flyers, Rangers and a very good young team in the Islanders, we will playing these teams more with them being in the same division.
Caps made few changes and lost key players in Roberio and Hendricks. Hopefully Grabovski and rookie Tom Wilson will have good seasons.
Be interesting to see where the folks who predict the different conferences and divisions pick the Caps to finish, I see them battling Carolina and Columbus for the bottom 3 places. Ive been a Cap fan from day one, sure I'd like them to come in first but with all the teams now in their division, I feel they are not as strong a team as some of the others.
We made the playoffs mostly by coming in first in our division for the past so many years, dont think we are a first place team now, we have to depend on being one of the top 8 teams in points now.

I beg to differ.... They started to gel into the Oates system in the 2nd half of the shortened season. Remember, they had no pre-season nor training camp w/ the new Coach. As far as center "problems", a healthy Brooks Laich is capable of 40 to 50 points as well as Grabovski. As far as your comment about where they finished last year, only Pitt, Montreal and Boston had more points in the East, so not sure where you came up with those stats...I think the Caps will be at the top of the mix of the Metro (gag) Division throughout the whole season battling the Penguins for first.. Tonight was their last pre-season game. They went 4-0-4. Wilson does look good. Hope he is on the bench.

OldHillcrestGuy

I beg to differ.... They started to gel into the Oates system in the 2nd half of the shortened season. Remember, they had no pre-season nor training camp w/ the new Coach. As far as center "problems", a healthy Brooks Laich is capable of 40 to 50 points as well as Grabovski. As far as your comment about where they finished last year, only Pitt, Montreal and Boston had more points in the East, so not sure where you came up with those stats...I think the Caps will be at the top of the mix of the Metro (gag) Division throughout the whole season battling the Penguins for first.. Tonight was their last pre-season game. They went 4-0-4. Wilson does look good. Hope he is on the bench.

Opp's where did I get those stats, checking back I dont know what I was looking at. Yes they started playing better toward the end of the year.
I like the guy but Brooks Laich is a injury waiting to happen, he's already hurt this season. Grabovski, I like and under Oates he could turn out to be a 25-30 goal scorer. I just feel points are going to be harder to come by in the Metro division, then the old South East Division, the calibar of the teams are so much better. Cheers :buddies: to another season.

Lets not let folks jump on our wagon as the regular season comes to a close in April 2014, we were here from the start, make Dipstick and others run behind it

UPDATE UPDATE This just in.

I just picked up my Sports Illustrated for the first time since it came Thursday. Besides having Sidney Crosby (yuk) on the cover, it has the NHL Predictions for the season. Not looking so rosie for the Caps, in the East they are picking them 11th out of 16. Bottom 3 in the Metro. With a wait till next year heading. Saying expect the transplants from the weak Southeast Division to struggle. Also, with a lack of upgrades will make the Caps middle of the pack at best.
The picks they have in the East only 3 are from the Metro (horrible name) 5 are from the Atllantic (why are they the Atlantic, teams in the Metro are closer to the ocean then they are, NHL should swap names).
So as much as I hate to say it, SI pretty much agree's with my predictions. Would like to see your optimistic prediction come true, but dont think its going to happen.
They pick the Stanley Cup Finals to Pittsburgh and Chicago, with the Blackhawks winning it all.

Last edited:

Hank

my war
Opp's where did I get those stats, checking back I dont know what I was looking at. Yes they started playing better toward the end of the year.
I like the guy but Brooks Laich is a injury waiting to happen, he's already hurt this season. Grabovski, I like and under Oates he could turn out to be a 25-30 goal scorer. I just feel points are going to be harder to come by in the Metro division, then the old South East Division, the calibar of the teams are so much better. Cheers :buddies: to another season.

Lets not let folks jump on our wagon as the regular season comes to a close in April 2014, we were here from the start, make Dipstick and others run behind it

UPDATE UPDATE This just in.

I just picked up my Sports Illustrated for the first time since it came Thursday. Besides having Sidney Crosby (yuk) on the cover, it has the NHL Predictions for the season. Not looking so rosie for the Caps, in the East they are picking them 11th out of 16. Bottom 3 in the Metro. With a wait till next year heading. Saying expect the transplants from the weak Southeast Division to struggle. Also, with a lack of upgrades will make the Caps middle of the pack at best.
The picks they have in the East only 3 are from the Metro (horrible name) 5 are from the Atllantic (why are they the Atlantic, teams in the Metro are closer to the ocean then they are, NHL should swap names).
So as much as I hate to say it, SI pretty much agree's with my predictions. Would like to see your optimistic prediction come true, but dont think its going to happen.
They pick the Stanley Cup Finals to Pittsburgh and Chicago, with the Blackhawks winning it all.

Ehhh.... The media hates the Caps. They never get any respect from the sports rags or broadcasters, especially Mike Milbury and those azzwipes, Don Cherry & Pierre McGuire. When do they pick the Caps to do well? I would rather listen to Andy before those jack offs (ok, maybe that was extreme)... Travel time is not so extreme with the realignment, so that should be a factor for all teams except Tampa & Florida. And Laich is slated to start in the season opener.

Last edited:

OldHillcrestGuy

Well Caps had to let go of a player to make room under the salary cap and it looks like Mathieu Perreault was the one. This move enabled them to keep 2, 19yr olds on the roster to start the season, Wilson and Carrick, I find that interesting with those 2 young guys been awhile since that has happened.
I liked Perreault, for his hustle and he was a fan favorite, but his scoring was lacking. Now with former coach Bruce Boudreau maybe he will get that scoring touch back he is only 25, but seems to have been a Capital forever, which was actually 7 years, his whole hockey career with the Caps.

Hank

my war
Well Caps had to let go of a player to make room under the salary cap and it looks like Mathieu Perreault was the one. This move enabled them to keep 2, 19yr olds on the roster to start the season, Wilson and Carrick, I find that interesting with those 2 young guys been awhile since that has happened.
I liked Perreault, for his hustle and he was a fan favorite, but his scoring was lacking. Now with former coach Bruce Boudreau maybe he will get that scoring touch back he is only 25, but seems to have been a Capital forever, which was actually 7 years, his whole hockey career with the Caps.

Someone had to be the sacrificial lamb. I didn't shed a tear. McPhee is probably trying to make up for the idiotic trade of Filip Forsberg by bringing Wilson & Carrick into the mix.

Beta

Smile!
Ehhh.... The media hates the Caps. They never get any respect from the sports rags or broadcasters, especially Mike Milbury and those azzwipes, Don Cherry & Pierre McGuire. When do they pick the Caps to do well? I would rather listen to Andy before those jack offs (ok, maybe that was extreme)... Travel time is not so extreme with the realignment, so that should be a factor for all teams except Tampa & Florida. And Laich is slated to start in the season opener.

Florida is going to wipe the floor with everyone this year! :party:

And by that I mean, as long as they don't finish in last place again, it'll be a good year! :yahoo:

I think the media is hating on the Caps because most teams improved but they didn't really do much. So we'll see how the season goes. I don't put any stock in the preseason experts bull#### because most of the media follows the talking heads. There are always "surprise" teams that NOBODY picked to do anything, which is only because the mainstream media is too lazy to do its own research and make daring picks. :bigwhoop:

Baz

Well what do ya know......tonight the Capitals will finally get the opportunity to witness a Stanley Cup Championship banner being raised to the rafters! :cheesy:

Game on! :cheers:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I liked some of what I saw last night but not all of it. We still need some work, particularly on D. Hotboy did not have a good night either. The champs are a pretty team to watch. Thank God we don't play them again until April but by then they'll probably be 81-0-0.