Tesla’s Rise Forces Other Automakers to.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Cars can’t fly. But Tesla Motors, the electric sports car manufacturer, continues to defy gravity. Its stock has risen six-fold in the past year, giving it a market capitalization of $22 billion. That’s stunning, especially given that Tesla sells only about 2,000 cars per month and last quarter reported a $70 million profit."

"Tesla’s continuing rise is angering electric car haters, auto dealers (who have sought to keep Tesla’s direct-sales model out of several states), and investors who focus on fundamentals. A hedge fund manager I know hisses the word “Tesla” with the same mixture of fear and annoyance that Jerry Seinfeld used to deploy when he said, “Newman.” Indeed, it’s hard to escape Tesla and its founder, Elon Musk. While others are contracting in Europe’s poor car market, Tesla is expanding. It opened a plant in the Netherlands last month. In the first half of September, Tesla was the leading car seller in all of Norway, with 322 units sold. It’s building out its supercharging network in California. This spring Tesla repaid its loan from the Department of Energy several years early and raised $1 billion in private capital. Earlier this month, the media dutifully covered the news that Musk would drive his family cross-country in a Tesla.

But Tesla’s stock and its vehicles aren’t just driving people to distraction. Tesla, the stock and the phenomenon, is having an impact far beyond the 2,000 cars it sells. Rather, this tiny tail of the car industry is starting to wag the dog. Innovation happens when start-ups get huge—think of Google or Facebook or LinkedIn. But it also happens when giant incumbents decide they want to be part of something new. And that is happening, thanks to the success of Tesla. Larger auto companies, which generally have remained aloof from the electric car industry, are now actively seeking the, um, juice and earnings valuation that Tesla has."

Vince

Yep, it must be true. I'm sure the other automanufacturers are scared to death and there are so many tesla's on the roads today. :whistle:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I hate the idea of having to recharge a real car. As I've said, if you're going to do away with the internal combustion engine, give me a nuke. BUT, I'm generally in favor of Tesla as an alternative to the established automakers. Glad the company is doing well.

glhs837

Power with Control
What's the amount of money we pay for people to buy Teslas? $7.5k each car? Yeah, govt subsidized success!!!!!!! If they are that damn good, remove the freaking govt prop and see what happens.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
What's the amount of money we pay for people to buy Teslas? $7.5k each car? Yeah, govt subsidized success!!!!!!! If they are that damn good, remove the freaking govt prop and see what happens.

I concur! They're fine now. Let 'em stand on their own two wheels. I didn't know about the subsidy.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

The base model starts at $63,500

I don't think a $7.5k subsidy is a game changer for folks spending that kind of money

If you can afford $63k for a car you can afford $70K

glhs837

Power with Control
The base model starts at $63,500

I don't think a $7.5k subsidy is a game changer for folks spending that kind of money

If you can afford $63k for a car you can afford $70K

I think people even at that level factor in almost 8K in price. Simply because you can afford $70 doesn't mean you are willing to. If for 70K you can get a larger more equipped car, that might swing it.

C

czygvtwkr

Don't get me wrong I think they are great but

1. Democrats are bragging about loaning money to a guy that is way above the 1%, probably like the 0.01% in wealth to start a car company. (I thought these people were evil?)

2. At its current stock price has about 1/3 the market cap of Ford, while Ford Sold 1.3 million cars in the past year Tesla sold 10,500 during this time Ford earned $2.8 billion in profits and Tesla lost $19 million. (From this past sundays washington post)

This is what I find most interesting, from the washington post website

The company’s combined stock and bond offering in May raised enough money to pay off its $465 million very low-interest loan from the Energy Department. That loan had made it possible for Tesla to buy a shuttered GM plant where it now makes the Model S.

On the basis of interest rates alone, paying back the Energy Department meant trading cheap debt for more expensive debt. But Galves said it was good for the company’s image.

The loan granted in 2010 also came with strings attached. It limited Musk’s ability to sell his holdings. And it came with warrants that gave the Energy Department the right to buy more than 3 million shares of Tesla stock at a fixed price after December 2018. At today’s share price, the warrants would have been worth more than half a billion dollars. Since Tesla paid back its loan early, the government had to give up the warrants.

Read more at Why Tesla?s stock is in overdrive - Washington Post

Last edited by a moderator: