Another Bout of NAACP Barf-o-rama

sockgirl77

The St. Mary’s County Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) continues to pressure the public school system to do something to reduce the achievement gap between white and non-white students. That concern was reiterated at the regular school board meeting on Tuesday.

Local branch President Andrea Bowman and 1st VP Dr. Janice Walthour, a retired principal, spoke about the issue during the board’s public comment section. “The success rate for African-American males continues to be unacceptable,” Dr. Walthour said.

NAACP presses school system on minority achievement gap - Southern Maryland News

Make their parents take parenting classes. I can assure you that those "colored people" are getting the same quality public school (free) education as the whiteys are. :yay:

P.S. I LOATHE the NAACP. They keep racism alive.

ZARA

Pete

Repete
It seems to me if they were really interested in helping African American males they would speak to them about improving themselves instead of lining up to bitch at those non African Americans who are doing well.

In our PC world no one has the guts to say it so it goes unsaid, and unfixed and will remain so.

sockgirl77

It seems to me if they were really interested in helping African American males they would speak to them about improving themselves instead of lining up to bitch at those non African Americans who are doing well.

In our PC world no one has the guts to say it so it goes unsaid, and unfixed and will remain so.

Exactly.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
It kills me when they pull this stuff. School is what you make it. Education is what you make it. There are kids of all races that want to achieve and those that don't.

My daughter's AP classes are all races because those are the children who want to do well and will make school work for them.

She has a "troubled" friend whose "lucky if they graduate" classes are also all races because those children have no interest in doing well.

In the required reading novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God", a novel about African Americans in the 1920s by an African American, there is the following quote: "Us colored folks is too envious of one 'nother. Dat's how come us don't git no further than us do. Us talks about the white man keepin' us down! Shucks! He don't have tuh. Us keep our own selves down."

There are plenty of high achieving people of all races. There are plenty of low achieving people of all races.

School is what you make it. Life is what you make it.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

The principle way of improving academic performance of the males in this protected minority is to eliminate totally all extracurricular sports programs in the schools. That way, many of the low-performing males in this protected minority would drop out of school entirely. Those who remain would be the higher-performing males in this protected minority and the achievement gap will have been eliminated. Voila! Low cost solution without spending more on the educational system.

Of course, the costs for law enforcement, imprisonment and insurance would skyrocket.

F

FngBng

72% on black children are raised in a single parent household by women, so a parenting class for a busy single mom would be difficult.

72 Percent of African-American Children Are Raised in Single Parent Homes - Atlanta Black Star

However, both white and Asian American students were at least twice as likely to take classes considered academically rigorous in those subjects than black and Hispanic students. Fewer than 10 percent of black or Hispanic students participated in rigorous courses in 2009 (NCES, 2009).

Over the long term, only about one half of male students from minority backgrounds graduate on time.

Achievement disparities are often attributed to socioeconomic factors. According to 2009 data from the Census Bureau, of all children younger than 18 living in families, 15.5 million live in poverty, defined as a family of four with less than $21,947 per year. This includes 4.9 million, or about 10 percent, of non-Hispanic white children, and one in three black and Hispanic children, at 4 million and 5.6 million, respectively (Annie E. Casey Foundation 2011).

Research Center: Achievement Gap

Which can be attributed to the single parent income because of Fatherless families.

Where are the Fathers?

U.S. incarceration rates by race | Prison Policy Initiative

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, one in three black men can expect to go to prison in their lifetime.

The Top 10 Most Startling Facts About People of Color and Criminal Justice in the United States | Center for American Progress

sockgirl77

72% on black children are raised in a single parent household by women, so a parenting class for a busy single mom would be difficult.

Department of Social Services should offer them, because that seems to be where you find most of the NAACP-supporting moms. :yay:

I just want to puke after reading all of this. A majority of my friends (black and white) are single moms. Most of them have kids that are excelling in school. A lot of them have kids that have gone off to college.

Hessian

Haven't they opened...

a new chapter of the FFA down there?

No silly, not Future Farmers of America,....

Future Felons of America.

bcp

In My Opinion
http://www.facebook.com/#!/stmarysnaacp7025

They have this listed on their facebook page

lets bomb the comments and let them know that if little Tyrells parents got involved, he would have the same opportunity as those racist white kids that seem to be doing so much better.

ITS NOT THE SCHOOL SYSTEM.

goughrmak

You know, it's funny that my "white" kids go to the SAME school as a LOT of "non-white" kids, and they are in the SAME classes. That tells me that they ALL have the SAME opportunities. Let's STOP blaming the "MAN" for keeping them down!!!

bilbur

You know, it's funny that my "white" kids go to the SAME school as a LOT of "non-white" kids, and they are in the SAME classes. That tells me that they ALL have the SAME opportunities. Let's STOP blaming the "MAN" for keeping them down!!!

I think what they are claiming is that the lessons are culturally biased. I am not sure how 2+2=4 could be culturally biased but that is what they have stated in previous articles. It sounds like to me that they want to change the curriculum and gear it toward the minorities. Does this mean that white kids will start to fall behind because the lessons won't interest them? Maybe, but if this is the case than white parents will complain and they will have to cater to them. In the end it will turn out where they will have two versions of a class, a white version and a minority version. Now we are back to segregation which is what it sounds like the NAACP is striving toward.

goughrmak

I would actually like to have an official "Anglo-American" month. We have every other nationality-american month. Oh... that would be reacist!!

sockgirl77

I think what they are claiming is that the lessons are culturally biased. I am not sure how 2+2=4 could be culturally biased but that is what they have stated in previous articles. It sounds like to me that they want to change the curriculum and gear it toward the minorities. Does this mean that white kids will start to fall behind because the lessons won't interest them? Maybe, but if this is the case than white parents will complain and they will have to cater to them. In the end it will turn out where they will have two versions of a class, a white version and a minority version. Now we are back to segregation which is what it sounds like the NAACP is striving toward.

And I doubt you'd hear too many complaints against segregation if the NAACP keeps pulling this shiat.

inkah

I just want to puke after reading all of this. A majority of my friends (black and white) are single moms. Most of them have kids that are excelling in school. A lot of them have kids that have gone off to college.

<----single mom of a Valedictorian and subsequent graduate of a College Honors Program

I'd sooner blame it on drugs and alcohol than single parenting. :|

inkah

NAACP General Monthly Meeting (Open to Public), College of Southern MD, Leonardtown Campus, Bldg. C, Room 204
WhenThu, September 26, 6:30pm – 8:30pm

WhereCollege of Southern Maryland, Leonardtown, MD, Building C, Room 205 (map)

DescriptionNAACP General Meeting -- Open to Public

BernieP

Resident PIA

The fact is there is a gap, the root cause isn't a problem the schools can fix.
It's a problem witihn the african-american community.

There are a fair number of black students who want to do well, who work hard. However they get pressured by other black students to not conform to what they see as white man rules.

St. Mary's County is not a big city, there is no problem with equal access, equal oportunity. The BOE has made an effort to make each school look like the county as a whole when it comes to demographics.

The NAACP is just making excuses and perpetuating the blame game.

bcp

In My Opinion
The fact is there is a gap, the root cause isn't a problem the schools can fix.
It's a problem witihn the african-american community.

There are a fair number of black students who want to do well, who work hard. However they get pressured by other black students to not conform to what they see as white man rules.

St. Mary's County is not a big city, there is no problem with equal access, equal oportunity. The BOE has made an effort to make each school look like the county as a whole when it comes to demographics.

The NAACP is just making excuses and perpetuating the blame game.

and there is a big part of the problem. When any employer is forced to hire based on % of race, the chances of having to choose a less qualified candidate over the most qualified candidate becomes reality and the quality of the school or business is going to suffer.