Fertilize your lawn and go to jail

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Homeowners need license to fertilize lawn effect October 1 - Southern Maryland News

Maryland’s new lawn fertilizer law takes effect October 1 and includes new requirements for fertilizer manufacturers, homeowners and lawn care professionals who must now be licensed and certified to apply fertilizers to properties that they manage.

Signed into law by Governor Martin O’Malley in 2011, the Fertilizer Use Act is designed to protect the Chesapeake Bay from nutrients entering its waters from a variety of urban sources, mainly lawns, golf courses, parks, recreation areas, athletic fields, businesses and other managed grassy areas encompassing nearly 1 million acres of land, a figure that is just shy of the state’s 1.2 million acres of cultivated farmland.

“Cleaning up the Chesapeake Bay is everyone’s responsibility,” said Maryland Secretary of Agriculture Buddy Hance. “We are counting on homeowners and do-it-yourselfers to join Maryland farmers as full partners in the Bay cleanup.”

No schnit. :lmao:

officeguy

That article is misleading. No requirement for a homeowner to be licensed. The requirement is that one adheres to the use guidelines provided by the U and there are new restrictions on what fertilizers can be sold in the state.

Caution

I am all for taking care of the Bay and the environment but unless the State of Maryland puts some money into educating the homeowner about proper lawn care they are going to have a hard time fighting against the marketing budgets of the leading Fertilizer Companies.

I think the average homeowner looks at their lawn and sees bare spots and weeds and thinks I had better go to Lowes and get some Scott's. Why? It is because it is what most people do and have done for quite a while now thinking fertilizer fixes anything and chemical fertilizers will get it done fast.

As far as this new law, I see it as no factor. It will be up to the Manufacturers to properly label their product before being sold in Maryland and as this has been under discussion for some time now, most already have.

As for the Professionals having to be certified, I see no problem with that. I would think anyone in the business would want to be following proper practices because, in today's world, with the internet at everyone's fingertips you can get a bad reputation real fast by not using environmentally friendly practices.