Police Militarization. Ha!

itsrequired

John Stossel ~ Police Militarization - YouTube

I saw this in another thread but can't find that thread.

So this guy, from the CATO institute, a libertarian organization, which does studies that imply police are doing things wrong, just because of accusations, is trying to sell a book. He doesn’t like the fact that police are wearing equipment which makes them safer, or that the most tactically trained officers are conducting raids. Boo hoo, too bad.

First, let’s go to the CATO institute’s study. They present a study which says there is this rampant police misconduct. Then when you read the study, it reveals that in most of these instances, there is simply an allegation of misconduct with no finding of such. In many of these instances, the officers were acquitted of misconduct or a prosecutor, declined to move forward because there was not sufficient evidence.

If this were any other person but a cop, and the cops were writing this study, the CATO institute and its followers, would be jumping up and down saying how evil the cops are to be presenting this information as factual, without due process.

Then the CATO institute’s followers say the flaw in the system is the thin blue line. Prosecutors and JUDGES are reluctant to charge of convict cops. That theory is also debunked because bad cops are charged and convicted every single day!

So on to SWAT teams. I can only speak of my experience but the truth of the matter is swat teams are used on search warrants where there is a more than normal propensity for violence. What is often not shared with the media is information the cops had about the subject of the search warrant. It could be a history of arrests for violence but no convictions. It could be informant information about threats the subject has made towards the authority. It could by a myriad of other things, but that information is evaluated and then the determination to use swat is concluded. Using swat teams is not a bad thing. They are the generally the most highly trained, disciplined, people on a police agency.

No knock warrants. CATO would have you believe that No Knock warrants are the norm. They are not. There has to be circumstances present for a judge to authorize no knock warrants and most judges are not exactly from the depths of the conservative ranks.

So I am sure this guy will sell Chris and Freedom some books; go on some talk shows, and stir up some people, but that is about it. His idea that swat should be something different doesn’t hold much weight. He is dishonest in his argument. He actually made the statement that when he worked for the CATO institute in “all these raids, they ALWAYS killed the dog”. Do you think he has an agenda? Is that proper journalism?

itsrequired

Rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric blah blah blah. We are building a military? Is he that narrow minded to think that because they wear similar clothes and have similar equipment to think they have the same mission? You need a better role model.

Why should our law enforcement not be better equiped than the criminals they are seeking?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
the Average Criminals are not driving around in Mil Surp. APC's wearing Tacticool gear

Sporting M-4's and Body Armor ....

C

czygvtwkr

Apparently finding the correct address is not part of tactical training.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Apparently finding the correct address is not part of tactical training.

yeah because GPS is ALWAYS Correct and doing some actual police work, like I don't know, investigating / surveillance .. before kicking in the door and tossing flash bangs

itsrequired

yeah because GPS is ALWAYS Correct and doing some actual police work, like I don't know, investigating / surveillance .. before kicking in the door and tossing flash bangs

That work is supposed to be done. Shame on those cops if they don't do it, but that sort of work is not done by the swat team hitting the door. It is supposed to be done by the detective who wrote the warrant.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nope ... Not At All

Dallas County Now Has Its Very Own Bulletproof, "Mine-Protected" Military SUV

:killingme

OK. Pretty cool. But let's back up for a moment. There's a very glaring, very fundamental question we haven't yet addressed: Why in holy hell does Dallas County need an armored military vehicle built to withstand a minor apocalypse?

The underlying reason seems to be that military trucks are ####ing cool, but no one's actually saying that. The sheriff's office is touting it as a tool that will help them better serve warrants.

"Having a tactical vehicle will not only provide warrants execution with the equipment to assist in performing their jobs but will provide an overall safety arch," Chief Deputy Marlin Suell wrote to commissioners.

Because there's no telling when North Texas might descend into sectarian warfare and start planting IEDs along Riverfront Boulevard.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

No, but making mistakes is a human trait, and we all know our LE aren't human :ohwell:

There are certain tasks that making mistakes are not acceptable, packing parachutes, raiding houses in the middle of the night, transporting nitroglycerin, etc. Maybe, just maybe there should be a checklist to go over before knocking the door down?

I will admit that I had a friend who had her apt door knocked in, police rushed in, grabbed her out of the shower and threw her on the floor buck naked in front of her kids. She was a waitress at the local Eat and Park where the very cops that did this frequented, she says it is weird to wait on a table that has seen you naked before.

Last edited by a moderator:

RPMDAD

There are certain tasks that making mistakes are not acceptable, packing parachutes, raiding houses in the middle of the night, transporting nitroglycerin, etc. Maybe, just maybe there should be a checklist to go over before knocking the door down?

I will admit that I had a friend who had her apt door knocked in, police rushed in, grabbed her out of the shower and threw her on the floor buck naked in front of her kids. She was a waitress at the local Eat and Park where the very cops that did this frequented, she says it is weird to wait on a table that has seen you naked before.

I am a super big LEO supporter. However in a case where they make drastic mistakes, such as raiding your friends house, which i hope was a mistake. I feel she should be able to sue the sh!t out of them. If i was her i would be claiming PTSD, flashbacks of seeing my life pass in front of me, being ashamed for being yanked out of the shower by armed people and paraded around naked, i would claim my kids were scarred for life after this. And i would hope she won the lawsuit. A mistake like that by the police department is unforgivable, and the more lawsuits people win against them, for raiding the wrong place will hopefully correct this situation where they are 100% positive of hitting the right house / address.

C

czygvtwkr

I am a super big LEO supporter. However in a case where they make drastic mistakes, such as raiding your friends house, which i hope was a mistake. I feel she should be able to sue the sh!t out of them. If i was her i would be claiming PTSD, flashbacks of seeing my life pass in front of me, being ashamed for being yanked out of the shower by armed people and paraded around naked, i would claim my kids were scarred for life after this. And i would hope she won the lawsuit. A mistake like that by the police department is unforgivable, and the more lawsuits people win against them, for raiding the wrong place will hopefully correct this situation where they are 100% positive of hitting the right house / address.

I am generally supportive whenever they give some dirt bag a wood shampoo and wish they would do more of that around "the Park".

They didn't even pay to fix her door, the apartment complex had to pay for it.

If it was my house they did it to, those cops would be out there on their day off repairing the damage and doing some yard work for me to make up for my inconvenience.

RPMDAD

I am generally supportive whenever they give some dirt bag a wood shampoo and wish they would do more of that around "the Park".

They didn't even pay to fix her door, the apartment complex had to pay for it.

If it was my house they did it to, those cops would be out there on their day off repairing the damage and doing some yard work for me to make up for my inconvenience.

cz, she obviously did not go to the right lawyer, we need Johnny Cochran back.
He did find OJ innocent after all.
That is BS, they should have to pay for their mistakes, especially when they are a drastic mistake as this. Again i am pro LEO, but you need to make sure you raid the right house, that mistake is not forgivable and not be considered an accident or oversight.

C

czygvtwkr

cz, she obviously did not go to the right lawyer, we need Johnny Cochran back.
He did find OJ innocent after all.
That is BS, they should have to pay for their mistakes, especially when they are a drastic mistake as this. Again i am pro LEO, but you need to make sure you raid the right house, that mistake is not forgivable and not be considered an accident or oversight.

Well it was an apt, so the property wasn't hers (they had the wrong building, she was in the B building and they needed to be in the C building). The big thing was what if one of her kids were behind that door when they busted it open.

BernieP

Resident PIA
No, but making mistakes is a human trait, and we all know our LE aren't human :ohwell:

or as some who post here would like us to believe they simply don't make mistakes or react like the average human would (those emotions things).

Which would be my opinion, you can make a case for military gear based on a few incidents. The problem is they aren't typical, and are somewhat rare.
So every department running out and getting gear they will probably never need leads to the old, "we got to find a reason to roll with it".
I'd bet the average officer would like to have a modern, well maintained vehicle, with good communications, including up to date internet access over some tactical vehicle his department will rarely if ever need.
Get them up to date body armor as well.
In short, money can be better spent.