Want to relocate - need advice

fuzzoom

Hi, folks. This "Relocate" thread is a little different. I want to move out of Maryland. I'm not going to bash St. Mary's or MD. If you like living here, great. But I want to move away from here. I'm thinking of going somewhere in the midwest, or further west, but not west coast. I need advice on how to move from one state to another. Do I find a job, then move? Or do I move first? How do you set up a job interview in another state? Any advice would be appreciated.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
It's always easiest finding a job once you are there, but if you are with a company that has locations out of state, check there first. It'd be easier to stay within the company you work for and move than find a job with a new one and not be there already. :ohwell:

If you don't like your company ... well, then, I'd say start job hunting now from here and see if you can secure a job first so you have a way to pay your bills when you get there, unless the idea of a temporary cardboard residence is appealing. :wink:

Good luck! :cheers:

Toxick

Splat
I'm actually seriously considering moving to Arizona. I have a job offer out there, and my wife and I are going to go look and see if we like it. If we do, then we're outta here.

From what I understand the cost of living is ridiculously low compared to what we're used to in MD - coupled with a substantial raise, and we're going to be looking pretty good. Plus we will no longer have to deal with the ugliness of winter :)

I, personally, would suggest getting a job before going. There are websites where you can look for employment. I'd do a google search on your job industry, the word "jobs", and the state you'd like to move to. That should yeild some pretty good results.

A lot of websites let you post your resume, and the headhunters will find you.

However, I do know several people who have just sold their home, packed their bags, and gone... A friend of mine with no prospects, and no rhyme or reason, just up and sold his house, and lived off the money from the sale while he and his family moved to Florida. They're doing pretty good now.

Me, I'm not that much of a risk-taker. I wouldn't go anywhere without a job on the other end.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I echo all the above sentiments.

Make all attempts to find a job before going out there, especially if you're not pressed to move quickly.

fuzzoom

One of my reasons for moving is cost of living. On my income, I cannot afford to live here. I'm living with my parents now. And I don't want to work for any more defense contractors. I'm sick of this whole scene. I have saved some money for relocating.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by fuzzoom
One of my reasons for moving is cost of living. On my income, I cannot afford to live here. I'm living with my parents now. And I don't want to work for any more defense contractors. I'm sick of this whole scene. I have saved some money for relocating.

Do some research then on different areas of the country and see where you'd be happiest. If you have no strings (family, kids, etc.) to think about, that'd make it a lot easier to just go somewhere and start a new life. :smile: Adventurous too. Have fun and good luck!

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by fuzzoom
I have saved some money for relocating.

If you're lucky, you'll find a company that will move you on their own dime.

Then all the money you have saved up for relocating will be gravy!
:biggrin:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
It is best to try and find employment prior to you moving to a new locale. What happens if you move out there, and incur the expense of doing so, only to not find a job once you arrive? Many employeers are hesitant to hire out-of-state folks, too. You might want to present yourself as "local" to your new area. As such, you should arrange to get a local address to whatever city you're moving to, i.e, get a Post Office box or a box at MailBoxes, Etc. And even maybe a cell phone with a local number to your new area. That way, it appears that you are already an established resident where your new company is based. By doing this, you are more likely to be hired on your talents rather than have them dismiss your resume because you don't live nearby, and their fear that they may have to pay for your relocation. Besides, many employeers want to tap into their local employee resume bank rather than hire someone who is not local to their area. Of course, if you are being recruited to come to their area and area, the advice I just gave is pretty meaningless. Just a thought, though.

Last edited:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by BadGirl
It is best to try and find employment prior to you moving to a new locale. What happens if you move out there, and incur the expense of doing so, only to not find a job once you arrive? Many employeers are hesitant to hire out-of-state folks though. If you want to present yourself as "local" to your new area, you should arrange to get a local address to whatever city you're moving to, i.e, get a Post Office box or a box at MailBoxes, Etc. And even maybe a cell phone with a local number to your new area. That way, it appears that you are already a resident where your new company is based. In this example, they can hire you on your talents rather than dismiss your resume because you don't live nearby, and their fear that they may have to pay for your relocation. Just a thought.

:yeahthat:

When I moved here, I didn't have a job. I came to look for one.

I lived out of my car and on friend's sofas for a few months, and used a friend's address for my resume and to receive job correspondence. I also used a friend's telephone number and she relayed any messages to me.

JimJoMac

Originally posted by Toxick
I'm actually seriously considering moving to Arizona.

Arizona, huh? Me too! Except I'll be retiring first so I don't have to worry about the job issue.

I'm getting the impression that my waterfront property here will be worth way more than a very nice (not waterfront!) house in AZ, so it should be a comfortable retirement.

But I do have some issues to resolve. First, I want to go North, up on the Colorado Plateau where it's not quite so hot in Summer. I thought I had the ideal spot in Page, next to Lake Powell. But I found out that virtually every house and building lot is in a HOA community with small lots. Not my taste at all. I started looking at listings near Flagstaff, but didn't find anything interesting there yet. I want to be near the parks and where there's some scenery, that's why I liked Page so much. Winslow, Williams and the like didn't impress me - too flat. Sedona is beautiful, but it seems to be getting too crowded (the price of beauty).

Any insights?

grandpa

relocation

I'ts a hard decision, what one thinks is the right one. What is good for me may be bad for someone else. After I retired from the USAF, we settled in Colorado Springs. 1977, Great town, but no work. 75 miles to Denver for a "good" job. Did the "Springs thing " for 2.5 years. Got the "good job" in Denver mid 1979. Went through 3 companies that couldn't make it through the recession. Found an Automobile company that needed a diesel mechanic in Colorado Sporings. Found a home, stayed there for 16 years.
Due to health reasons, I retired and moved to Texas.
I found that Texas was not my cup of tea, the taxes are too high and its too hot. There are other things that I will not go in to.
My bride said that Maryland was the place to go.
So here we are.
Some things that I have found:
The folks here are very friendly.
If I need help,its there
I find smiles all over the place
people want to help me.
If I'M LOST, just ask.
need gardening information- just ask
FOR SOME SILLY REASON< I LOVE THIS PLACE>
We relocated here in late October of 2003
Aside from the lousy water pressure and the lousy clay soil, this is a great place to live.
We have to excuse the occasionial teanager with the BOOM-Boom It happens everywhere. Crime is almost non existant in the Ranch area.
Our "Fresh water lake provides as many "bluegill" that you can stand. Altho small;, but very bony,but tasty Never caught a large bass, but small ones provide a short ,but, intimate
strike from the larger stripers that are in there misdst

C

cmdrfunk

Re: relocation

Originally posted by grandpa

Aside from the lousy water pressure and the lousy clay soil, this is a great place to live.

That reminds me... what's in/not in maryland's water?

I'll do something simple like wash my hands or hair and it takes forever because the darn soap won't rinse away. What's the deal!

I'm gonna miss PA water *sniff*

i like chili dogs
To keep on topic, i think the parent poster should get a job then move. You don't want to be limited in where you work if you got a place and then looked for a job. What if you move and find a job on the other side of the city and find out that with the traffic it's near impossible to get there in any reasonable amount of time? So for reasons like that it'd be nice to find the job then find somewhere reasonable nearby to live.

I got a job before initiating my move, and my friend is coming with me just to be in the area so he can start applying to places and increases his chances by being local. The fact that two of his friends just happened to get jobs in the same field at two different places already doesn't hurt his chances either!

Last edited by a moderator:

JimJoMac

Re: Re: relocation

Originally posted by cmdrfunk
That reminds me... what's in/not in maryland's water? I'll do something simple like wash my hands or hair and it takes forever because the darn soap won't rinse away. What's the deal!

The water here is high pH (alkaline, opposite of acidic). People with hot tubs or pools quickly learn that balancing the chemistry is difficult. It seems hard to get the soap off - fact is you ARE getting the soap off, it's just that the alkalinity affects your skin and makes it feel slimey.

I've never heard that it's harmful in any way, but I agree it's annoying. When we visit family in PA we enjoy the showers, although we know that our MD water pumped out of the well contains no chlorine.

I like the taste of the water here. I drink a fair amount for health reasons, and a good taste makes that easier to do (another sip - ahhhh!). And the migraine headaches I had for my entire life seem to have vanished. I've come to hate the taste of PA water!

One thing: if you have your own well, you should learn how to sanitize your water system. It has to be done now & then. We got Angel Systems to test for us, they seem like good people, and prompt.

lkt

curly-locks
moving

When I was re locating to mineapolis MN, which is a great place in the mid west- lots to do, lots of jobs.Beautiful Lakes... Mall of America.. Paul bunyan! they were happy to interveiw me by phone , and I was also hired by phone, so I had a job waiting on me..just search big dog or monster .com they also have a lot of those rent by the week places that are like a semi-studio apt deals. you could rent one of those till you found an apt.

I just wanted to add as far as jobs u could find something thru a temp agency for while just to keep u going until u found what you were really looking for in a job where ever u go..

I ended up not staying and moving back but ... thats another story... Romance gone bad.. Sigh...

Last edited: