after school programs?

NurseSherri

Hi all... it's me again...moving from San Diego to so Maryland at the end of November... looking at Leonardtown and some other areas around there. I'm wondering if the schools in St Mary's County have after school programs for working parents? My daughter has a great program here, and it is right on campus so it is very convenient. I will have to work and won't be able to get her right after school.

NurseSherri

also, I saw a weird article on Yahoo that said that the schools in St Mary's have initiated a "NO HUG" policy amongst some other weird rules.... thoughts??

wickedtonia

The Blackbelt Academy offers afterschool martial arts programs as well, with rides from school to their studio in Wildewood. Not sure if your daughter is into that stuff, but a little self defense and discipline training could be fun.

Last edited:

sockgirl77

The Blackbelt Academy offers afterschool martial arts programs as well, with rides from school to their studio in Wildewood. Not sure if your daughter is into that stuff, but a little self defense and discipline training could be fun.

They are grossly overpriced and overcrowded. It was a big clusterf*ck. I yanked my kids out of their program, as have quite a few families in the past year. We like to call them a McDojo. They charge you out of the arse, but do not offer half of what other TWD programs do.

B4/AFTER SCHOOL has a wonderful program. :yay::yay:

2Loquacious

Father Andrew White (pk-8) is a parochial school in Leonardtown and they have an aftercare program. The school stays pretty full though and has a waiting list on many of the classes since it was awarded a National Blue Ribbon for excellence. I am not sure about the public schools but I think Banneker and Ltown elementary both have after care or they did a few years ago at least.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
also, I saw a weird article on Yahoo that said that the schools in St Mary's have initiated a "NO HUG" policy amongst some other weird rules.... thoughts??

Ah yes, the "no hug" policy. Strong, ridiculous wording took the stage with that entire fiasco.

There is a minority of students who are autistic. These kids will freak out if touched/hugged/etc...

Due to this, adults are requested to not initiate hugging students that they don't personally know. If the hugging occurs between these two persons...the child will initiate it.

Not exactly "No Hug", huh? Leave it to the BOE to screw up even the simplest of instructions.

edit: I haven't read the most up to date version of this rule. Hopefully, the wording was clarified since the original document was dispersed.

Last edited: