PAXR Navy Blimp In the News

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Eye In The Sky: Navy Research Blimp Hovering Over Maryland « CBS Baltimore

Excerpt:
The U.S. Navy research laboratory says the blimp is a government research airship conducting aerial mapping, and that the MZ-3A lighter than air blimp began roaming above the D.C. area on September 21 and can remain stationary for more than 12 hours.

The blimp is mapping in the flight restriction zones around Washington D.C. It includes places like the Department of Agriculture and at some of ourmajor airports like BWI.

Excerpt:
The “Baltimore Blimp” as it’s being called online has even sparked Twitter discussions. People want to know what it’s doing in the sky—others are just “blimp watching.”

Excerpt:
But the blimp won’t be up for much longer. The research lab says after October 5, it’s flying away.

When the mission is complete, pilots will fly the blimp north to a base in New Jersey.

Right now, it is stationed at the Naval Air Station in the Patuxent River

:lol:

Beta

Smile!
geez, a base in New Jersey. Like there's more than one reasonable option. I guess saying anything more than New Jersey would confuse people :rolleyes:

I actually saw it in the air on the 21st and thought to myself "hey look, a blimp! I wonder if it's going to a football game! I wonder why it doesn't have an ad..." Then I immediately realized it was the base blimp. :doh: :dork: