Man sets himself on fire on the National Mall

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"WASHINGTON (AP) — A man who poured a can of gasoline on his head and set himself on fire on the National Mall in the nation's capital has been airlifted to the hospital, police and fire officials said Friday afternoon.

The man, whose name was not immediately known, suffered life-threatening injuries, said D.C. fire department spokesman Tim Wilson.

He was standing by himself at Seventh Street and Madison Drive, in the center portion of the Mall, when he emptied the contents of a red gas can on himself and set himself on fire moments later, said Katy Scheflen, who witnessed it as she walked through the Mall.

She said passing joggers took off their shirts in an effort to help douse the flames, and the man was clearly alive as the flames spread. A police department spokesman said he was conscious and breathing at the scene. MedStar Washington Hospital Center tweeted that the man was taken there but had no condition update.

"There was not a lot people could do because it was a gasoline fire," she said.

She said he may have said something before he acted "but it was nothing intelligible." She said she did not see him holding any signs."

Attachments

• BVwtTTZIcAA3UOw.jpg large.jpg
    BVwtTTZIcAA3UOw.jpg large.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 96
  • MALL2.jpg
    MALL2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
either can't get the stupid thing open or it leaks all over, I think I know the one you're talking about

We have to use them to refuel the bikes after a class.
I feel so much safer when I'm splashing gas over a hot engine

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
So far all the looney kooks have been democrats. One at a time, one at a time.

C

czygvtwkr

Bet he will feel silly when he finds out that nobody could understand what he said before he did it.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
We have to use them to refuel the bikes after a class.
I feel so much safer when I'm splashing gas over a hot engine

it's already enough of a pain to put gas in the mower, but with this POS gas can it's even worse

Last edited:

BOP

"WASHINGTON (AP) — A man who poured a can of gasoline on his head and set himself on fire on the National Mall in the nation's capital has been airlifted to the hospital, police and fire officials said Friday afternoon.

The man, whose name was not immediately known, suffered life-threatening injuries, said D.C. fire department spokesman Tim Wilson.

He was standing by himself at Seventh Street and Madison Drive, in the center portion of the Mall, when he emptied the contents of a red gas can on himself and set himself on fire moments later, said Katy Scheflen, who witnessed it as she walked through the Mall.

She said passing joggers took off their shirts in an effort to help douse the flames, and the man was clearly alive as the flames spread. A police department spokesman said he was conscious and breathing at the scene. MedStar Washington Hospital Center tweeted that the man was taken there but had no condition update.

"There was not a lot people could do because it was a gasoline fire," she said.

She said he may have said something before he acted "but it was nothing intelligible." She said she did not see him holding any signs."

Ban gas cans!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I have not seen this on any news channel. I did see it online, but they aren't making a big deal out of it like they day yesterday. I guess because there was no gun involved?

mamatutu

mama to two
What I don't get is with all the security of shutting down the mall/monument areas, how did the guy get by carrying a gas can? Something doesn't make sense. Turn away 90 year old veterans, but don't bother a guy carrying a gas can. I don't trust our government, the news, or even Fox to report the truth, anymore. Every man for himself. :patriot:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
What I don't get is with all the security of shutting down the mall/monument areas, how did the guy get by carrying a gas can? Something doesn't make sense. Turn away 90 year old veterans, but don't bother a guy carrying a gas can. I don't trust our government, the news, or even Fox to report the truth, anymore. Every man for himself. :patriot:

Fox hasn't even mentioned this on TV or on their website as of just now.

mamatutu

mama to two
Fox hasn't even mentioned this on TV or on their website as of just now.

I know they haven't. I was just making a comment about me, personally. Something just isn't right about this story. I have to say I have become cynical in a short amount of time, and don't believe anything I read or hear anymore, unless it is like triple bazillion substantiated. I forgot to include Drudge on the list, or any news media, period.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Update: Man on fire at National Mall dies

"The individual passed away shortly before 9pm on Friday at a local hospital, a D.C. police spokesman told The Hill on Saturday.

The spokesman declined to comment on the individual's identity or which hospital he was transported to after the incident.

However, recent reports state he was airlifted to MedStar Washington Hospital Center in northwest D.C.

He was so badly burned that he will need to be identified through DNA and dental records, according to reports by the Associated Press."