Shutdown Stories .....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Park Police Attempt To Shut Down Mount Vernon - Until They're Told It's Privately Funded

The National Park Service (NPS) tried to shut down George Washington’s Mt. Vernon estate Tuesday as part of the government shutdown. There was only one problem: Mount Vernon is funded entirely by private contributions. Oops.

Melissa Wood, Mt. Vernon’s media director. said the NPS removed barricades it had placed at the entrance to a parking lot “as soon as they realized their mistake.”

However, Stephen Gutowski of The College Politico tweeted that one the estate’s parking lots was still barricaded as of Thursday afternoon.

Critics charge that The White has closed selective national landmarks to highlight the effect of the “Republican” shutdown. This time, they were even more overzealous than usual. Good job, O.

H/T – The Blaze

Caution

Park Police Attempt To Shut Down Mount Vernon - Until They're Told It's Privately Funded

The National Park Service (NPS) tried to shut down George Washington’s Mt. Vernon estate Tuesday as part of the government shutdown. There was only one problem: Mount Vernon is funded entirely by private contributions. Oops.

Melissa Wood, Mt. Vernon’s media director. said the NPS removed barricades it had placed at the entrance to a parking lot “as soon as they realized their mistake.”

However, Stephen Gutowski of The College Politico tweeted that one the estate’s parking lots was still barricaded as of Thursday afternoon.

Critics charge that The White has closed selective national landmarks to highlight the effect of the “Republican” shutdown. This time, they were even more overzealous than usual. Good job, O.

H/T – The Blaze

One would think they have lists of what areas they control and even how much budget gets put toward that area. How do you send people out to close a place that you have no business at? Amazing. I lose more faith in our government each day and I have already decided I will not vote for a politician that currently holds office in the next election. Hopefully a new fool will be better than a fool set in his ways.

MarieB

Just heard about this...

PRUDEN: The cheap tricks of the game - Washington Times

Swear-to-god there's a bunch of two year olds running our country right now.

I'm sending a kindergarten class in --- they can do a much better job than the current crop of clowns.

No denying there are cheap tricks, but IMO the last paragraph of that piece was a cheap trick used to try to link what happened Friday to the shutdown. We don't even know what happened yet, except that the lady was mental at best

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
No denying there are cheap tricks, but IMO the last paragraph of that piece was a cheap trick used to try to link what happened Friday to the shutdown. We don't even know what happened yet, except that the lady was mental at best

Yes it was, I totally agree with you. I don't really like what I'm hearing about it either. I realize that she ran into a barricade & hit a Secret Service guy but it seems like paranoia and overkill to open fire like that on an unarmed woman with a baby in the car.

(On a side note, I do believe that one guard house in one of the pictures was the one that I ended up at years ago while lost in DC trying to get a sick 18 month old to Georgetown Hospital. Guess I should be glad they didn't shoot me!)

Bonehead

Yeah the NPS

Gave campers 48 hours to get out of campgrounds and a few hours for people staying in the different lodges in the Shenandoah.

They also closed off all access to the monuments at Gettysburg. I was able to see most of them on Monday but still had a few to visit.

It made me ashamed for all of the international tourists that came to see the monuments and were turned away by the NPS.

We need to do a complete change out of the 535 bozos responsible for this stupidity.

Remember this in November please.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
If Congress cannot/will not do the job that they were put there to do, seems to me we ought to start looking at recall elections.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Reported today. No football, baseball or hockey games for our deployed troops.. everything but AFN news, and the ridiculous AFN "commercials" are blacked out.

That will be great for their morale...

Last edited:

Bavarian

Gave campers 48 hours to get out of campgrounds and a few hours for people staying in the different lodges in the Shenandoah.

They also closed off all access to the monuments at Gettysburg. I was able to see most of them on Monday but still had a few to visit.

It made me ashamed for all of the international tourists that came to see the monuments and were turned away by the NPS.

We need to do a complete change out of the 535 bozos responsible for this stupidity.

Remember this in November please.

The Congress is doing its job. It is the Senate under Dingy Harry and the White House under Barry Soetto who won't work with them to get a deal.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
This is the message displayed on all the channels in A'stan. Guess there's always the internet, good thing they have to have that.

Attachments

• 1209264_10201088254261721_1586998025_n.jpg
    1209264_10201088254261721_1586998025_n.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 65

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
The Congress is doing its job. It is the Senate under Dingy Harry and the White House under Barry Soetto who won't work with them to get a deal.

The term "Congress" in common usage refers to that body which consists of the House of Representatives and the Senate. Both houses (the House of Representatives and the Senate) have spent the past year ignoring the budget issues while squabbling over everything else and working on their re-election strategies. This is why people are so outraged at everyone who spends their days under the Capitol Dome.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
The term "Congress" in common usage refers to that body which consists of the House of Representatives and the Senate. Both houses (the House of Representatives and the Senate) have spent the past year ignoring the budget issues while squabbling over everything else and working on their re-election strategies. This is why people are so outraged at everyone who spends their days under the Capitol Dome.

My daughter, she's 15, asked me the other day, if Pro means good and Con means bad, what is the opposite of Progress? She said this was one of her ponderings. She's a nerd and thinks way too much.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Meanwhile, ignored by the media and most other people - this is old data but still gives us an idea of what continues:

Total Funding:$1,974,042,215,000 Funding Programs:1607
Read the list (as much as you can stand) at: Info: List of US Federal Government Funding Programs

List of US Federal Government Funding Programs

Published on AidPage by IDILOGIC on Jun 24, 2005 (modified on Jun 24, 2005) Data sources: Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA), Grants.gov

Last edited: