Obamacare. Web failures or incompetence?

Chris0nllyn

"We found out that there have been times this morning where the site's been running more slowly than it normally will,”
President Obama said last Tuesday, the day the exchanges opened.
“The reason is because more than one million people visited HealthCare.gov before 7:00 in the morning

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius put a positive spin on the website malfunctions. They were a sign of too much traffic, she said, “a great problem to have".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC4mkKLZwCk

4.7 million visitors in the first day, 8.1 million by Friday. And they insisted, even through the weekend, that unexpectedly high numbers of visitors were the root cause of the site’s problems.

These bugs were functions of volume
Todd Park said.

Obama adviser: Demand overwhelmed HealthCare.gov

One official said that issues would be resolved on Oct.1.
“We expect to resolve these issues in the coming hours,”

U.S. expects to fix Obamacare Internet problems within 'hours'

The issues weren’t resolved. Two days later, the Department of Health and Human Services assured people once again that updates were in the works, and the user experience was getting better.

OVERNIGHT HEALTH: HHS says enrollment process improving - The Hill's Healthwatch

Friday afternoon, the administration announced that online enrollment functionality in the federal exchanges would be suspended for several hours each night over the weekend. Starting at 1 a.m. each night, health coverage sign up would not be available for several hours. The downtime would make way for big improvements in system functionality, an administration press release claimed.
We expect that Monday, less than a week after the marketplace opening, there will be significant improvements in the online consumer experience.

Key Part Of Obamacare Website Going Dark This Weekend

Well, it's Monday. System is still more buggy than an Orkin man.
The federal website, meant to serve Americans in 36 states, was still delivering error messages to users trying to create an account saying the ‘system was unavailable

Federal Health Exchange

The call-center workers can’t log into the system either, and don’t even pretend to be able to help callers. The LiveChat system can’t answer basic application questions, and just directs users to the call-in system.

https://twitter.com/jbplainblog/status/387072374723870720

https://twitter.com/jbplainblog/status/387072595696558080

Obamacare: One woman's unsucessful quest to sign up for Obamacare

The administration is still saying it's traffic related. Some folks disagree.

One pro-Obamacare web developer told The Washington Post over the weekend,
I’m a very very big supporter of the health-care act, but I don’t buy the argument that the load was too unexpected.

A techie walks us through healthcare.gov

Last night the WSJ reported that more worke needed to be done with the servers.

Federal officials said Sunday the online marketplace needed design changes, as well as more server capacity to improve efficiency on the federally run exchange that serves 36 states

Software, Design Defects Cripple Health-Care Website - WSJ.com

Remember those shutdowns that was supposed to resolve some, if not most of these issues? They're back. Federal health officials announced this afternoon that enrollment functionality in the federal exchanges would go offline once again tonight starting at 1 a.m.

https://twitter.com/philgalewitz/status/387266252311232513

Despite repeated promises that the implementation process was on schedule and the exchange system would be ready on time, it wasn’t. It wasn’t fixed within a few hours, or a few days, or most of a week—even with hours of offline time for retooling. And the massive traffic volume that was supposed to be responsible for the site problems was, at most, only one part of the problem.

So if the administration knew that the problems were due to more than just traffic, and that they would not be resolved in the first week, then they weren’t telling the truth. And if the administration did not know, then that suggests they may lack the understanding or capability to easily resolve the technical flaws with the exchanges. Either way, at this point, it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that the administration is either intentionally misleading people, or incompetent, or both.

Is the Administration Misleading People on Obamacare's Web Failures, Or Is It Just Incompetent? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

bcp

In My Opinion
the dems cant afford to have too many people hit that exchange and see the true cost of their new affordable insurance,
at least not until the republicans cave in and fund it.

The last thing that obama wants right now is for more people to know how bad its going to be.

Chris0nllyn

the dems cant afford to have too many people hit that exchange and see the true cost of their new affordable insurance,
at least not until the republicans cave in and fund it.

The last thing that obama wants right now is for more people to know how bad its going to be.

Folks should like this.

It allows us to make doctor's appointments while we still can.

Chris0nllyn

The federal exchange system simply does not work. And the administration has run out of excuses. Even President Obama—who initially excused the exchange problems as being typical of a large technology rollout—has begun to talk more frankly about the system’s flaws. "The website that was supposed to do this all in a seamless way has had way more glitches than I think are acceptable," he said on Tuesday.

Initially, the administration pinned problems with an unexpected amount of traffic. “These bugs were functions of volume," White House technology adviser Todd Park told USA Today. “Take away the volume and it works.”

That excuse no longer holds up. The volume’s gone, and the website still doesn’t work. Web traffic to HealthCare.gov dropped 88 percent from October 1, the day the exchanges opened, to October 13, according to data released this week by Kantar US Insights. Yet despite plummeting traffic, many users remained unable to even create the accounts necessary to begin the application process.

The insurance industry is sounding the alarm too. Cigna has told brokers in the four federal exchange states it’s selling policies not to even attempt to sell subsidized insurance before next month. There are multiple reports of serious problems with the industry end of the exchange tech, with the system relaying multiple enrollment and unenrollment notices for the same individual—and without the timestamps that might help insurers understand which action was the user's final one.

Insurance consultant Robert Laszewski, who has been working with health plans selling insurance on the exchanges, told The Washington Post this week that he wouldn’t even bother using the federal exchange system himself, and would advise others to avoid it. “People are just wasting their time,” he said, adding that fixes haven't been forthcoming. “There’s no evidence of any improvement so far.”

The CEO of Aetna, meanwhile, told CNBC that testing of the system has been done on the fly, and that health insurers—who are connected directly to the exchange systems—didn’t get the code to connect their systems until a month before the exchanges opened. He predicted that it could be three years until all the problems are solved.

Three years! The administration already had three years to build the system. They failed—in part because they dragged their feet on the process to begin with. Deadlines for key regulations—rules that were essential to creation and design of the exchange—were consistently late. As early as the summer of 2010, HHS had already missed multiple implementation deadlines. Warnings about regulatory holdups persisted through November 2012 as the administration delayed the release of yet more rules required to keep the exchange process on track.

Delay after delay piled up. And the system’s most technologically challenging component sat not just unfinished but essentially unstarted for more than a year after the contract to build it was awarded. CGI Federal was awarded a $94 million contract to build the data hub and back end of the federal exchanges in December of 2011, but did not even begin to write code until spring of 2013, according to The New York Times.

Administration Blows Its Credibility With Disastrous Obamacare Rollout - Reason.com

Sweet 16

^^8^^

The federal exchange system simply does not work. And the administration has run out of excuses. Even President Obama—who initially excused the exchange problems as being typical of a large technology rollout—has begun to talk more frankly about the system’s flaws. "The website that was supposed to do this all in a seamless way has had way more glitches than I think are acceptable," he said on Tuesday.

This script is starting to sound familiar..... First they blamed it on a video, and when the truth started to come out, it was labeled a "phony" scandal and all discussion and investigation ceased.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I believe that the web site is working as planned.

It doesn't matter if you can purchase the required insurance because you still have to pay.

If you pay without buying the service it will appear to be very cost effective.

I would suggest folks adjust their withholding to reduce the size of teir tax return

SamSpade

The complexity of the software lies in just how many checks are needed to validate a person who is registering, and how many places it has to go to get the information. The logjams aren't JUST at the state websites, but where they get the additional data, and my guess is, they probably have to live link to different agencies, because no one is allowed to just make copies of the data here and there.

As I see it - they made it needlessly complex. If the ONLY reason for Obamacare was to get insurance to those who need it - they could have just created a program for just those people - and no one else. No, they had to gut the entire system on a nationwide level, rather than try it out locally here and there.

A system that largely - worked.

Chris0nllyn

The complexity of the software lies in just how many checks are needed to validate a person who is registering, and how many places it has to go to get the information. The logjams aren't JUST at the state websites, but where they get the additional data, and my guess is, they probably have to live link to different agencies, because no one is allowed to just make copies of the data here and there.

As I see it - they made it needlessly complex. If the ONLY reason for Obamacare was to get insurance to those who need it - they could have just created a program for just those people - and no one else. No, they had to gut the entire system on a nationwide level, rather than try it out locally here and there.

A system that largely - worked.

It's set up for failure.

We, the taxpayers, paid $500 Million for this sh!t.....$500 Million.

Dems should be happy about this. Afterall, it means less people will see that their rates go up 99% for men, and 62% for women.

Chris0nllyn

Intended for people who want to buy health insurance under the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, the website failed from the start. It was unusable to hundreds of thousands of Americans who wanted to enroll. Screens wouldn’t load. A woman trying to get help via Web chat was told to “please be patient” an infuriating 40 times. Despite pledges from Obama administration officials that the “glitches” would be quickly fixed, the list of bugs and problems kept growing.

Millward Brown Digital, a consulting firm, reports that a mere 1 percent of the 3.7 million people who tried to register on the federal exchange in the first week actually managed to enroll. Even if the problems are fixed, the debacle makes clear that it’s time for the government to change the way it ships code—namely, by embracing the approach to software development that has revolutionized the technology industry.

Why the Obamacare Website Was Destined to Bomb - Businessweek

Chris0nllyn

I have been in regular conversation with a person in Pennsylvania trying to get information about coverage under the Affordable Care Act. She is optimistic about the coverage she might get, but also wonders why her existing plan, which is far from perfect, is being canceled on Jan. 1. (The president said if you like your plan you will be able to keep it.) She started trying at 8 a.m. on Oct. 1, the minute the website went live, and has tried about 10 times over the week. Mostly she has been shut out entirely. Recently she has been able to at least enter in some of her information, but the site doesn’t record the information correctly and doesn’t let her change it. She took her questions to the “Live Chat” to see if she could get some answers. This is what she got (the applicant’s name is the only item in this transcript that has been altered):

[4:09:56 pm]: Thanks for contacting Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat. Please wait while we connect you to someone who can help.
[4:09:59 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:10:30 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:11:00 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:11:31 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:12:02 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:12:32 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:13:03 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:13:33 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:14:03 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:14:34 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:15:04 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:15:35 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:16:06 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:16:37 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:17:07 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:17:37 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:18:08 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:18:38 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:19:09 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:19:40 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:20:10 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:20:41 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:21:11 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:21:42 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:22:12 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:22:43 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:23:14 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:23:45 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:24:15 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:24:46 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:25:15 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:25:46 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:26:17 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:26:47 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:27:19 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:27:49 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:28:19 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:28:49 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:29:20 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:29:50 pm]: Please be patient while we're helping other people.
[4:30:27 pm]: Welcome! You're now connected to Health Insurance Marketplace Live Chat.

Thanks for contacting us. My name is PGSTX0534. To protect your privacy, please don't provide any personal information, like Social Security Number, or any other sensitive medical or personal information.

[4:30:51 pm]: PGSTX0534
Hello, how may I help you today?

[4:31:12 pm]: Alice
My information is not recording correctly in the summary of my application

[4:31:35 pm]: Alice
I have tried to edit it multiple times and it is still wrong

[4:32:21 pm]: PGSTX0534
Thanks for your interest in the Health Insurance Marketplace. We have a lot of visitors trying to use our website right now. That is causing some glitches for some people trying to create accounts or log in. Keep trying, and thanks for your patience. We'll continue working to improve the site so you can get covered

[4:32:40 pm]: Alice
what does that mean?

[4:32:52 pm]: Alice
It says my application is "in Progress"

[4:33:12 pm]: Alice
Does that mean it is not completed and I can continue to try to edit it?

[4:33:55 pm]: Alice
Hello??

[4:34:14 pm]: PGSTX0534
Thank you. One moment please while I look that up.

[4:36:19 pm]: PGSTX0534
The only way we can see your application is you will have to call The Health Insurance Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you.

[4:36:47 pm]: Alice
What does the Chat Service do then?

Frustration abounds with healthcare.gov. I finally gave up and called the phone number that was provided in my faux "Live Chat." I got through to someone right away. When I asked what was causing so much trouble, she said it was that so many people were using the system that it was causing glitches. Did they not expect THE ENTIRE NATION to be doing this? Since it is now required? So she said she could mail me a paper form to fill out, which would take three weeks to get to me. And then I would fill it out and mail it back, and then they would let me know what my coverage options would be and any discount I could get. I asked her if she could email me the form, and she said, "No, we don't have that capability."

Obamacare: One woman's unsucessful quest to sign up for Obamacare

Hold the phone, folks... for those of you who THOUGHT you were one of the 'lucky' few to get through the muck and get an answer... think again. :ohwell:

This is major.

Obamacare woes widen as insurers get wrong data - MarketWatch

Insurers say the federal health-care marketplace is generating flawed data that is straining their ability to handle even the trickle of enrollees who have gotten through so far, in a sign that technological problems extend further than the website traffic and software issues already identified.

The flaws could do lasting damage to the law if customers are deterred from signing up or mistakenly believe they have obtained coverage.

Grumpy

USA Today sez....

The federal health care exchange was built using 10-year-old technology that may require constant fixes and updates for the next six months and the eventual overhaul of the entire system, technology experts told USA TODAY....Recent changes have made the exchanges easier to use, but they still require clearing the computer's cache several times, stopping a pop-up blocker, talking to people via Web chat who suggest waiting until the server is not busy, opening links in new windows and clicking on every available possibility on a page in the hopes of not receiving an error message. With those changes, it took one hour to navigate the HealthCare.gov enrollment process Wednesday. Those steps shouldn't be necessary, experts said..."The application could be fundamentally flawed," said Jeff Kim, president of CDNetworks, a content-delivery network. "They may be using 1990s technology in 2.0 world." Outsiders acknowledged they can't see the whole system, but they said they feared HHS built a system that will need an expensive overhaul that would cause more headaches for people trying to buy insurance.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Three years! The administration already had three years to build the system. They failed—in part because they dragged their feet on the process to begin with. Deadlines for key regulations—rules that were essential to creation and design of the exchange—were consistently late. As early as the summer of 2010, HHS had already missed multiple implementation deadlines. Warnings about regulatory holdups persisted through November 2012 as the administration delayed the release of yet more rules required to keep the exchange process on track.

I was reading recently - the Big O's Administration keep the details hidden from the integrator until after the 2012 elections to keep from handing the Republicans Election Year Talking Points

Chris0nllyn

a Pennsylvania man named Malik Hassan was in the group, and this is the White House description of his situation, in full: "Malik Hassan works at a restaurant in Philadelphia. Hassan, who does not receive coverage through his employer, is looking forward to enrolling for health coverage this fall. He recently used Healthcare.gov. to process his application and is waiting for the options for potential plans in Philadelphia."

So, Hassan is employed, not covered, and has not yet succeeded in finding coverage through Obamacare. That is, in the White House's estimation, an Obamacare success story.

Then there is Nathaniel Hojnacki, who recently finished his schooling. Here is the White House description of his situation, again in full: "Nathaniel Hojnacki recently received his Master's degree at Johns Hopkins University SAIS and is in an employment situation without benefits. Hojnacki recognizes the importance of coverage and is planning to enroll after he explores his coverage options on the DC exchange."

So, Hojnacki has a job, does not have coverage, and is planning to explore finding coverage through Obamacare. Another success story.

Then there is LaJuanna Russell, of Virginia. Here is the White House description of her situation, in its entirety: "LaJuanna Russell is the owner of Business Management Associates, a consulting company in Alexandria, Virginia. Russell says she is proud to offer her employees health insurance but that it can be difficult for a small business. Russell believes that the ACA provides stability for her and her employees and is exploring what new coverage options will be available to her company under the exchanges."

So, Russell owns a business, has employees, and believes Obamacare might help her in the future. Another success story.

Then there is another small business owner, Zohre Abolfazli of Tennessee. Here is the White House description of her situation, in its entirety: "Zohre Abolfazli has owned a small business outside of Nashville, Tennessee for almost twenty-five years. Even though she has been able to maintain her health insurance over the years, it has been a challenge to find affordable, comprehensive health insurance in the individual market place. Last night, Abolfazli was able to register through HealthCare.gov and now plans to comparison shop for the best plan that meets her budget and needs."

So, Abolfazli has managed to get onto the Obamacare website, register, and now plans to shop for coverage. Another success story.

At the White House: Obamacare success stories that aren't | WashingtonExaminer.com

Bay_Kat

Tropical
The office of House Speaker John Boehner is calling for the Obama administration to brief House Republicans on the problems with the ObamaCare website, following a report that House Democrats will get a closed-door briefing on Wednesday.

Boehner spokesman Brendan Buck said in a statement to Fox News the speaker’s office has requested the meeting with the president but has not yet received a reply, saying “all members – as well as the American people – deserve answers for this debacle.”

“This snub is all the more offensive after Secretary Sebelius declined to testify at a House hearing this week,” Buck said. “It’s time for the Obama administration to honor its promises of transparency and face some accountability.”

Boehner calls for briefing on ObamaCare after HHS 'snub' | Fox News

Where's the transparency?

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
The office of House Speaker John Boehner is calling for the Obama administration to brief House Republicans on the problems with the ObamaCare website, following a report that House Democrats will get a closed-door briefing on Wednesday.

Boehner spokesman Brendan Buck said in a statement to Fox News the speaker’s office has requested the meeting with the president but has not yet received a reply, saying “all members – as well as the American people – deserve answers for this debacle.”

“This snub is all the more offensive after Secretary Sebelius declined to testify at a House hearing this week,” Buck said. “It’s time for the Obama administration to honor its promises of transparency and face some accountability.”

Boehner calls for briefing on ObamaCare after HHS 'snub' | Fox News

Where's the transparency?

Boehner better not be holding his breath. Oba-me is accountable to no one.

And our Lame Stream Media will not report any of this. According to them, Oba-meCare is wonderful and the website working perfectly!